Scenery.cfg missing/deleted?

TheRedBadger

Hello again,

I started my flight sim day by double clicking the FS9 shortcut, and I am greeted with a dialog saying "The 'Scenery.cfg' file is missing or damaged. Please reinstall FS to restore or repair the file. FS will now quit".

Of course, I am a bit disgust that its first and only suggestion is reinstalling FS, which many will say should always be a last resort considering all the trouble to get everything back where it was.

I didn't install any new sceneries yesterday or the day before; I only added an AFCAD file to the addon scenery/scenery folder for one airport, but that's about it.

I've noticed there are several scenery.cfg's present. One of which is in the main FS9 folder, but another one is present in the disk with all of my addon sceneries.

It's all I've got, thanks!

Carlos Si

Your current one should be in your FS9 folder. Open it in notepad and take a look especially for the folder and for the file where that last AFCAD resides which you state is Addon Scenery\scenery\yourfile. Since scenery.cfg is there the file structure might be damaged.

sceneryconfigeditorv1_0_7.zip in the library here is a scenery.cfg editor you can try to see if it catches any error in your current scenery.cfg.

I tried it and it refused to list the sceneries but in its editor pointed to an error. See if it finds anything in you file.

Note that you may have to use file\open and browse to the scenery.cfg in your FS9 folder. First check the properties of the one in your FS9 folder and look at the modified date to see if that one is the most recent in this case the date you added the afcad file.

The editor in the right hand side will give the number of errors for each type. Click next and it will take you there.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try dropping the latest dated .cfg file into FS9 main folder, overwriting one after another, until it works.

But see:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?270746-Never-allow-the-Self-Installer-install-Scenery-Automatically&p=1805739#post1805739

I dropped the default scenery.cfg into the fs9 folder and I got the same results. The only entry in the current scenery.cfg is one for Kwong's VHHH2005 airport. Since I have other addon sceneries present which don't have an entry in this cfg, I wonder if it's even necessary. The area.xxx entries for the other sceneries are however present in the SCENERY.cfg located in the appdata/roaming/microsoft/fs9 folder.

Your current one should be in your FS9 folder. Open it in notepad and take a look especially for the folder and for the file where that last AFCAD resides which you state is Addon Scenery\scenery\yourfile. Since scenery.cfg is there the file structure might be damaged.

sceneryconfigeditorv1_0_7.zip in the library here is a scenery.cfg editor you can try to see if it catches any error in your current scenery.cfg.

I tried it and it refused to list the sceneries but in its editor pointed to an error. See if it finds anything in you file.

Note that you may have to use file\open and browse to the scenery.cfg in your FS9 folder. First check the properties of the one in your FS9 folder and look at the modified date to see if that one is the most recent in this case the date you added the afcad file.

The editor in the right hand side will give the number of errors for each type. Click next and it will take you there.

The program doesn't even run, even after java was installed :l .

EDIT: nvm, it had to be installed in a certain folder. I'll run it in a bit.

EDIT2: the only error is because of the VHHH entry. It indicates "path does not exist". However, I have had this there for a long time and has never caused me any trouble. I'm afraid it won't be very simple.

Is this "damage" potentially just a typo or inconsistency? How could it have been damaged, and what was damaged?

Ehh my scenery.cfg is in the fs9 folder; the addonScenery/scenery only has dropped-in AFCAD files (and another scenery folder which is empty).

FS9 ran well for several flights after the AFCAD was installed.

I was looking at this thread:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?68651-How-often-should-you-delete-scenery-dat-file

and I wondered if the problem could have anything to do with scenery.dat files.

EDIT: problem solved. Ended up just re-installing and got it working, plus several other things in the process.

Thx,

TRB

Carlos Si

Archived