Small Windows 10 sound and Graphics Issue

In short, I just built a new computer a month ago, and just installed windows 10 a couple days ago. I had a fresh install of FSX, and it was working prefect under Windows 8.1. Been a while since I played FSX, but I wanted to see what this new computer could do. With 8.1, I had pretty much everything maxed, and it was smooth. Very happy with it.

i7-4790 @ 3.60 ghz processor, 32 gb ram, EVGA Nividia GeForce GTX 960 4gb card.

What I had, when I upgraded to windows 10, I had a black aircraft preview pane, and black flight screen. Sound was normal, and controls were normal, but no graphics, just black. (no clue where I was flying, lol) I see many complaints about black preview, and flight screens, so I know I am not alone. I tried every slider from minimum, to max, and every option either off, or on. Nothing seemed to fix it. Even a complete removal, and fresh install did not work.

What I finally did, that fixed it was change to "preview DirectX 10" in settings. So, now I can play again, and have the settings fine tuned the best I can. Everything looks great, and plays great. Only issue (small, I know) is the airport taxi, and parking areas. The taxi ways, and parking areas, are real grainy, and flicker a lot. Then each grain keeps moving around. It is like this from any altitude, or on the ground. Where the taxi way meets the runway, it will "bleed" on top of the runway, and back under, flickering. Also, the yellow taxi lines constantly flicker, and the if I turn on progressive taxi, those markers also flicker, and disappear more than they are visible. These two screenshots, both from the same place, one shows a slight over lap on the runway, but taxi lines are in place. The other shows the full overlap on the runway, with the taxi lines missing. This is where it overlaps the runway. The taxi lanes, and parking areas are worse. From a slight distance, that grainy texture seems to move, and is much more visible at altitude than the surrounding area. It just is not a natural look like everything else has.

No add-ons of any kind. Fresh install, and 100% stock with SP1 and SP2 installed.

runwayclean.jpg

runwayoverlap.jpg

Second issue, is voice sound. Never had an issue with Windows 8.1. Now, with Windows 10, I lose the voices. Engines, wind, and other sounds are fine. But no voices from the co-pilot, or tower. Yes, I do have voice sounds checked, and the volume for voice is turned up. This is single player free flights and missions. This happens 75% of the time. About 25%, the sound is fine.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Edit: I have the voices from the control tower back in free flight. I used this thread: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/72475-lost-atc-voices/

But I still do not have the co-pilot, pilots, or towers in the missions. I can turn the text on, so I do not miss anything, but it just is not the same, lol.

This is what happened to me in Windows 10.Checking DX10 solved the problem with the basic aircraft that came with the sim but when I added an addon aircraft or any ai aircraft all of those had no textures and were white.Glad most people have no problem but I guess some of us do.........Toomba

Believe it or not, the best advice for these kinds of errors is to install DX9. DX11 and above is supposed to run DX9 games natively, however issues like these and a few others still show up now and again due to different dx files used. Installing DX9c almost always clears up these kinds of problems.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Downloaded DX9c but can't be used in Windows 10. Thinking about going back to windows 7

Be careful! Those of us who aren't thrilled with 10 from day 1 are now called Luddites!

Perhaps a few messages to early adopter advocates will get you answers. I'm still on the sidelines and have been criticized because of that for weeks.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Win 10 contains DX9c. There is NO NEED to install DX anything.

No need to use DX 10 in FSX.

Make sure your video drivers are 353.62.

Delete the Shader folder contents. FSX will build new shader files.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Be careful! Those of us who aren't thrilled with 10 from day 1 are now called Luddites!

Perhaps a few messages to early adopter advocates will get you answers. I'm still on the sidelines and have been criticized because of that for weeks.

No you were criticized for thinking the OPTION to share updates on your local network with yourself or the OPTION to share with neighbors was a violation of your privacy.

It does not contain DX9, It has DX12. DX12 natively runs DX9, DX10/10.1, DX11/11.1

@others;

Do not use a "download" or web version of dx9c installer. Use a full installer, ie from a game disc or instalation folder. It will update a few DX9 files in windows for older games to run properly without issue.

This is MS advice btw, from win7 launch when identical issues cropped up for DX11 running DX9 games.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No you were criticized for thinking the OPTION to share updates on your local network with yourself or the OPTION to share with neighbors was a violation of your privacy.

OK, I'm a Luddite.

I still don't see anyone, including you, jumping in to assist these people who have problems with 10. I would think you would be fawning all over the early adopters, to make 10 look and work better for everyone.

Since 10 obviously has problems and no one wants to do anything about it but call others names, I'll still sit out for awhile. My FSX works great with 7.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Rupert give it a rest man. There are basically 3 things that Win 10 users may have to do to use FSX: Use the 353.62 Win 10 driver, clear the Shader cache, and/or start with a fresh FSX.cfg file. This is for both DX9 and DX10 Mode.

Then there is nothing hidden or secret to do to make 10 look and work better that users haven't had to do since Vista, Win 7, and Win 8.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

OK, I'm a Luddite.

I still don't see anyone, including you, jumping in to assist these people who have problems with 10. I would think you would be fawning all over the early adopters, to make 10 look and work better for everyone.

Since 10 obviously has problems and no one wants to do anything about it but call others names, I'll still sit out for awhile. My FSX works great with 7.

Might I remind you FSX doesn't "work great" with 7. You still need workarounds such as UIAutomation in 64-bit environments. So I doubt anyone is surprised with some bugs with Windows 10. That's something FSX users will figure out, it's not a Windows 10 problem. You might want to upgrade to Steam FSX asap.

The problems with win10 and FSX are the same sort of problems that people had with the launch of the previous incarnations of windows, so its nothing really new. I think it is more surprising that there is not more problems than the minor one that people have reported thus far. It is easy to fix and all seems fine.

I believe the lack of bugs reported so far not only in FSX but in general is a great sign that win10 will be a good OS, after all its based on win7 with the better bits of win8 thrown in.

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Might I remind you FSX doesn't "work great" with 7. You still need workarounds such as UIAutomation in 64-bit environments. So I doubt anyone is surprised with some bugs with Windows 10. That's something FSX users will figure out, it's not a Windows 10 problem. You might want to upgrade to Steam FSX asap.

I haven't had to use UIAutomation yet so far. But I've noticed little quirks about Win 7

that kind of irritate me. Like say the text and font rendering and such. My default GPS

does not look near as sharp in Win 7 as it did in XP. Also, this effects my NGX CDU if

it's opened up as a separate window, and I change from full screen to windowed.

When I first crank it up, it looks fairly sharp and normal. But if I have it open and

change windows, when I go back to full screen the text in the CDU is a bit distorted.

Also have been having some slight sound issues with FSX only, and I was starting to

think it was due to using the onboard sound, which I had never had a problem with

so far, or with any other programs.

And the latest MB I have has the best onboard sound I've had so far, being it's 24 bit

at a 192 khz max rate, which should be good normally. But I was getting slight

popping noises, and some distortion on certain NGX sounds at times. So I decided to

buy another SB Audigy sound card to rule out the onboard sound. At first I thought

that cured the problem, but then later I was hearing it again, and the new card is

also 24 bit at I think also 192 khz max.. And I tried all settings.. No difference.

So then I started thinking maybe a Win 7 quirk..

But.... I then started noticing that if I ran FSX without using ASN, I didn't seem to

get these noises or distortion. So.. now I'm starting to think there may be a slight

issue with ASN and FSX as far as sound. Will have to look into that some more.

Anyway, in some ways Win 7 can't do some things as well as XP did..

I have zero plans to upgrade to Win 10 at this time. I'll wait for a good while to

see how the dust settles before I'll even consider it.

Every time MS sends me an "update update", I delete it.. Also the main Win 10

download update has been flushed from this box. I wanted to make sure it was gone

so I wouldn't have it install by accident some way.. :mad:

Ok, Yes. Video drivers are 353.62.

I did remove the shader files, and started FSX. All it did was give me the black screens. Went to settings, and I noticed that my option to use DirectX 10 was gone. Closed the game, started again, nothing. Black screens. So, I put the contents (folders) back in place, and FSX was set to directX 10 again, and the game was back.

Now for the new "news" part. I was messing with different keyboard commands. I finally figured out how to toggle between windowed, and full screen mode. Well, I had been playing in windowed mode so I could have my second monitor open for other things. I went to full screen mode, and I had black screens in both DX9c and DX10. Crap. Went back to windowed mode, and I had normal screens in both DX9c and DX10. So, I adjusted everything back for DX9c. Solved my flickering problem! Kinda bugs me that I can not play in full screen mode, but thats OK, I would rather play in windowed mode.

Might be something to try for the other Windows 10 flunkies like me :-p

Just wish I could get this sound issue worked out. Sometimes I have voices, most times I do not. ATC or mission co-pilot voices. I thought I had to the ATC voices figured out, but, it is random when I do get voices. usually seems like after I do something. Like move my shaders folder contents out, and move them back in, it worked. First flight anyway, lol.

Archived