FSX Not Responding after reinstall

gmac

Evening all,

Hope someone can assist me with this. I have recently moved and my desktop was without power for about 3 days. Got the computer running and ran FSX....all seemed fine but then got a Fatal Error. Did a complete clean removal (i think) of FSX via add remove programs along with all files in C and C users and registry per instructions on the web. Reinstalled and FSX will run initially but lock up right away and goes to not responding. Have Win 7 64bit.

Have tried the following but no luck:

1) Removed cfg file to allow FSX to rebuild

2) Removed logbook file

3) CC cleaned registry after install

4) Tried to install on a clean reboot

5) Tried the Ui Automation Core fix

6) Tried acceleration install by itself

7) Tried SP1 and SP2 without acceleration

8) Removed all add ons I think

a) CLS

b) RealAir

c) Carenado

Could not find in the Add/remove program to remove GEX, UTX or FS Genesis along with FSUIC. REX was not removed.

Any help really appreciated.

Thanks much!!

G

I am going to start with the sarcastic comment first: You probably did something wrong (I Think).

Then I will 'get real'. Since you moved your PC and maybe tossed it on the bed of the pick up, it may have jolted your CPU heat sink away from the CPU header surface during the move trip. This will cause 'fatal error' (due to heat). Also you might have jolted a Ram stick loose. Or the video card. Get inside and make sure everything is 'tight' as it should be. So check your hardware (connections, etc) and then worry about the software part(s).

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Howdy Chuck,

No worries on the sarcastic comment......I'am sure I did something wrong LOL!!!

Never thought of those....was relocated from MN to IL and the temps where in the 90's OAT.....cant even imagine what it was like in the moving semi.

Will try to re-rack the RAM and VC....thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

G

I only have some bad news, and no help. But I'll say what I think.

A fatal error does not mean the same in computers as it means in living beings. It's usually fixable. Or even a one off.

The correct way to proceed in that case is to look up the error in the event logs. Not to blindly uninstall everything.

Well, to late now.

You say you followed a guide.

The general advice for a uninstall- reinstall is:

*uninstal ALL your addons, expecially those that had installers.

*the exception perhaps are programs that run independant of fsx, but that need to find the fsx folder. Some you can set the path to the fsx folder easily manually. Example: ADE-X.

*Sometimes they find the fsx folder when the are installed only, in that case they must be uninstalled.

*only then uninstall fsx.

*then clean the registry entry's with kb928080. -- !!! Not with other registry cleaners or defraggers !!! -- (exception is CCleaner.)

++++>I think you forgot to uninstall all addons. If the files are removed, but they were not uninstalled, it could be now impossible to uninstall them and hard to remove them.

----------

(continuing steps, for reinstalling)

*Only then reinstall, as Administrator. Right click the "install.exe" file and select "install as administrator to install.

*Run, Activate, Quick flight.

*Reboot.

*Defrag.

*SP1 or Acceleration.

*If Acc, Activate.

*Short flight.

*Reboot.

*Defrag.

*If SP1 -- Now SP2.

etc.

What happened after is hard to follow, It seound like you clicked on everything that moved. For example, it sounds like you have FSX Acceleration, but you installed SP1&SP2 instead.

I have no Idea how to advise.

Just one piece of future advice. Having the PC without power does nothing to the system. I've had a pc stand without power for a year and it booted right up. (Only reason it wouldn't could be from possibly parts and cables coming lose, like chuck says.)

I whish you had posted right after the fatal error.

I hope you get it going again soon,

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks guys....I will give your ideas a shot. Question....I believe I uninstalled my add-on's AFTER I did FSX...my bad if I didn't

I uninstalled all add-ons that were in the Add/Remove Control Panel. Could there be a registry file still lingering and if so could this be the culprit?

G

il....I think you might have hit it. I have a lot of 3rd party addons but they don show in the Add/Remove program window. I have FS Genesis, UTX, and GTX for scenery. I did uninstall all the aircraft (CLS, Carenado, FlightOne, RealAir and Milviz) after FSX.....but they were not in the Add/Remove. I know understand this wasnt the best way but can I remove these now....you think these are causing the errors? Is there a registry file still there from these that could effect FSX?

BTW....what do you mean using "then clean the registry entry's with kb928080"?

G

Yes,the reg entry's of your addons could have remained. With their files gone that could be an issue. A big one.

But I'm not good with the reg. Or with those addons. I can't help there, sorry.

Sometimes after uninstall fsx, the fsx reg entry remains. That would block reinstall.

Because of the reg entry the system (win) thinks the program is there already and the fsx setup.exe won't run.

For that situation there is kb928080. A microsoft knowledge base file. This removes the reg entry for fsx and only that. So you can then install.

Not an something You should have done or missed. It sounds like you were able to install fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Il....many thanks for sticking in there with me. Sounds like some of my addon's might still be lingering in the reg that could be messing up the new install.

It looks like the new install went ok....Friday Harbor shows up with the ultra light but then locks up, but how do I get rid of the addons that are not in the Add/Remove program window?

I'am not even certain how to uninstall GEX/UTX/FSUIPC/FS Genesis.

Wow this is frustrating.....all the addons I have purchased exceed 700 USD....I really don't want to give up yet considering I only spent 59.95 on FSX. Bloody Microsoft LOL!!!

Echo: '(Pssst - START OVER)' (ie: format HDrive, etc.) Only way sometimes.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Il....many thanks for sticking in there with me. Sounds like some of my addon's might still be lingering in the reg that could be messing up the new install.

It looks like the new install went ok....Friday Harbor shows up with the ultra light but then locks up, but how do I get rid of the addons that are not in the Add/Remove program window?

I'am not even certain how to uninstall GEX/UTX/FSUIPC/FS Genesis.

Wow this is frustrating.....all the addons I have purchased exceed 700 USD....I really don't want to give up yet considering I only spent 59.95 on FSX. Bloody Microsoft LOL!!!

Hi, as was asked above, what does the Windows event log say about these crashes?

Do not worry too much about the addons, if you deleted the FSX main folder and those in /Users/.../AppData/ and the one in /Program Data/, addons no longer matter in most cases. Those that you mention have different removal strategies, we would need to go though that one by one:

GEX : gone when you delete the main FSX folder, as far as the sim is concerned. But GEXs own folder (Flight One Software something) might still be there and should be uninstalled

UTX: gone with the main FSX folder

FSUIPC: gone with the main FSX folder

FS Genesis: gone with the /Program Data/Microsoft/FSX folder

"gone" means: as far as the sim is concerned. All of them might have additional folders and reg entries of their own, but those are of no consequence to FSX, only to themselves...

When you deleted the FSX folder first, you probably eliminated quite a few of the uninstall programs some addons leave in there - so there is no easy way left for a clean uninstall. Wiping the whole disk might be the better option, as suggested above.

Archived