Real World Winglights

Just had a Ryanair 738 go over on its way to Liverpool at 10,800ft.

This maybe a total noob question, but it was showing a solid green light on the starboard wing and a flashing red on the port. I thought this was the other way round and it should have been the starboard wing green flashing and a steady red, is there any definitive source as there seems to be as many different opinions on other forums as there are forums.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with any scenario in which one nav light would flash with the other being steady. I didn't know that capability even existed. Unless maybe this is a British thing?

There used to be (and maybe still are) aircraft (especially military) that could make their nav lights flash or remain steady, but it was all or nothing.

Could it be that you saw a strobe light along with the nav light on the port, but the strobe on the starboard wasn't visible?

You've got me curious...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Latin Flyer

I'm pretty sure what you saw was the starboard navigation light (steady green) and the red flashing beacon on the belly of the aircraft (the port navigation light would have been hidden.) Which says that the plane was coming towards you from your 1 to 2 o'clock position and climbing. Aircraft exterior lighting is mandated (for obvious reasons!) and there are no regional variations, not even for the UK! The reason you couldn't see the port nav light is that it's visibility is limited if you're off to one side of the craft. This works for ships as well, and helps other ships or aircraft identify where you're coming from. If you can see both nav lights on a ship, you'd better take some pretty aggressive evasive action!

Tropical Greetings.

Archived