Locked spot view.

bgets

I would like to make the aircraft in my locked spot view smaller. I have it set to .30 which is the smallest I can make it using the minus key. I assume there may be a line in the aircraft cfg. file that I can change to make it smaller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob G.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1080 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Samsung 500Gb SSHD, 750W PSU, P3DV4, Windows 10 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. UTLive

Thanks Zip. That didn't work. Aircraft remained the same size.

Bob G.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1080 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Samsung 500Gb SSHD, 750W PSU, P3DV4, Windows 10 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. UTLive

you make the aircraft 'smaller' without distortion in the Spot views by adjusting the "CHASE DISTANCE" from the aircraft (not the ZOOM): CTRL and plus or minus; CTRL+plus pushes you further away, CTRL+minus pulls you closer. The initial distance seems to be a matter of internal coding so you typically start at a specific distance from each aircraft when you first load it.

The custom "Aircraft" group of views defined in each aircraft.cfg have the intial location specified with x,y,z coordinates and these can be changed at YOUR discretion.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

In other words, ANY zoom will induce distortion (which you don't want). Start by pressing 'BACKSPACE' key to set ZOOM to 1x. Then, using Ctrl and '-' / '+' keys (Press and HOLD 'Ctrl', then press and HOLD '-' or '+' key TOGETHER to (very slowly) move the CAMERA position (aka: chase distance) to where you want it. '-' decreases distance. '+' increases distance.

The 'trick' is to SAVE a flight with whatever distance you desire, and the sim will remember this distance when you re-load that flight. Only way to do this I am afraid.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Yes, newcomers often don't realise that the zoom in/out view (- and = ) and the Chase in/out view (Ctrl - and Ctrl =) are completely different things, maybe these two shots will explain what I'm trying to say--

PIC 1- This is a typical shot at 0.60 zoom (you'll see the zoom number change at top right as you press the zoom in/out keys).

0.60 is my favourite zoom level because it's about the most realistic. Notice the moon is its proper realistic size, but depending on your monitor size you might feel more comfortable with a different zoom level such as 0.50 or 0.70 etc.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-zoom1_zpsxcbmhcuh.jpg~original

PIC 2- this shot is after I held down the Ctrl - keys to move the Chase view closer to the plane. Notice the moon size doesn't change, and the terrain and clouds sizes hardly change because moving the Chase view doesn't affect the 0.60 zoom.

(Think of the Chase view as a 'camera in the sky' which you can move in or out to frame the plane how you want)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-zoom2_zps3p5vbx8t.jpg~original

Thanks for the tip. I used the control + to move out.

Bob G.

kid,

Quote: 'This is a typical shot at 0.60 zoom..'. You are confused. The '0.60' zoom is the recommended (ie: 'typical') zoom for the VC view, not the locked spot view. Anything other than 1.00 zoom for the locked spot view and your landings (especially helicopter landings) will suffer due to the prallax (distortion) of (even) 0.60 zoom.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

kid,

Quote: 'This is a typical shot at 0.60 zoom..'. You are confused. The '0.60' zoom is the recommended (ie: 'typical') zoom for the VC view, not the locked spot view. Anything other than 1.00 zoom for the locked spot view and your landings (especially helicopter landings) will suffer due to the prallax (distortion) of (even) 0.60 zoom.

Chuck B

The bottom line is that we should use whatever zoom settings look good to us personally, on whatever monitor size we're using, and not slavishly follow "recommended" settings..:)

My preferred zoom is 0.60 for both VC view AND external view.

For example here's 0.60 in locked spot view, note the moon size is about realistic, and the scenery field of view and depth perspective look good.

Also as we fly forward the scenery passes at a crisp realistic rate..

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-zoom-ext060_zpsupn12miy.jpg~original

And here's 0.60 VC, and again the moon size is about realistic, and scenery FOV is good..

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-zoom-vc060_zpsm8b4gm2a.jpg~original

But if we use 1.00 zoom (below), the moon is far too big in locked spot view, and our field of view is narrow and claustrophic with no peripheral vision like looking through a telescope.

Also as we fly forward, the scenery seems to crawl by as if in unrealistic boring slow motion..

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-extzoom1_zpswcxl6yle.jpg~original

and the moon is also far too big and the field of view restricted at 1.00 zoom in VC view (below)..

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-zoom-vc01_zpspwpnessc.jpg~original

If the FSX programmers wanted us to stick to specific zoom settings they wouldn't have given us flexibility of choice, which brings me back to what I said earlier, namely that we should use whatever zoom looks good to us personally.

For example if people want, they could even use 0.30 zoom (below) to get a wide-angle situational awareness view with sensational peripheral vision, and the scenery whips by at a phenomenal rate, giving a great sensation of speed..:)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-zoom-vc030_zpsdnsejcti.jpg~original

USE 1X ZOOM with Locked Spot View. Move eyepoint to adjust distance from aircraft. Use any zoom you want in VC view. You SKILL (and experience) is what matters when it come to landings..LOOKS (ie: periferal vision, size of moon, color of gauges, etc) don't do squat for you (or me).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: 'as we fly forward the scenery passes at a crisp realistic rate..'

'Realistic' would be 1X zoom.

Quote: 'and the scenery whips by ... giving a great sensation of speed..'

Again: not 'realistic' as there is no 'increase' of speed - it's an ILLUSION'.

Quote: 'situational awareness view with sensational peripheral vision.'

Again: zoom doesn't GIVE you anything, more less 'situational awareness'. This is BOGUS 'cinematics' and not FACT.

Quote: 'the FSX programmers wanted us to stick to specific zoom settings they wouldn't have given us flexibility of choice..'

I don't know any 'FSX programmers' so they can't tell me to do anything. You don't know any either, and are just using this 'ploy' to add credibility to to your essentially 'contrived' statements (ie: you fixed it with your mouth)

Chuck B

PS: there is no need for pictures. FACTS are more important.

..Move eyepoint to adjust distance from aircraft..

I think you mean Chase view mate as eyepoint is a completely different ball game and is discussed in other threads.

As for my sensational screenshots in this thread, I think they prove my point well enough, namely that we should adjust the zoom setting to whatever looks good on our OWN individual monitor; for example what looks good on a small laptop might not look so good on a bigger screen.

You say you like 1.00 zoom in Chase view, whereas I prefer 0.60, so there ya go, whatever floats yer boat.

PS - I'm a moderator over at the Mission4Today forum (as Poor Old Spike) and my sets of enhanced Aircraft Photo threads there have just notched up 6 million views and I get rave reviews from all over internet-land saying how good they look, so I must be doing something right..:)

Archived