I never knew this could work.

ColR1948

OK to put you in the picture:

A while ago I was running FS9 on a laptop, but I had it installed on an external hard drive connected via USB to the laptop.

Well because it was limited I had things set fairly low but it ran not too bad.

Now I have newer PC with a lot more power etc and I installed a fresh FS9 on that plus because of the increased speed and memory I added VFR scenery plus Active Sky, yes a big improvement.

So I had a thought, would the FS I have on the external run better via the USB connected to this PC, so I tried it, I got a surprise. Something I never thought of but it picked up the VFR scenery plus Active Sky and it is running great.

Again thinking more on this, I could have one FS for example Military and the other for Civil or whatever configuration I choose and they will pick up on the scenery and sky programs, this is probably obvious to you experienced simmers but as I said I never gave it a thought till now.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 USB external drives...a 250 Gb, a 320 Gb and a 1 Tb...(can you guess where I am going with this?). Nice find. I will surely try this and report back. Am thinking to try with CFS2, FS98, FS2002, and FS9 on the 1 Tb. Oh will we ever run out of things 'TO DO' in the simulators!! Cancel yard work, laundry, doing the storage shed and watching TV.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived