Published my first gauge -Swap active standby Frequencies -Works fine -but Questions

il88pp

link to my complete gauge; the background image, xml code, and install instructions is at the bottom.

I'm sorry for being "all over the place".

This is my first gauge. And it is all very new. There's a lot coming at me.

6-jul* I asked for a new gauge, and Jim Robinson was so kind to provide a working xml and images. I then created my own images to use instead. And got a very nice result. But I didn't look at 'events' at all.

21-jul* He suggested reading "Arne bartel XMLGAU01.zip". I printed it out and read it cover to cover. That's when I started learning my first xml.

In the last few days I then made a little gauge myself. While Jim answered my questions and fixed a few flaws that were in the code I made.

Then I shared how to create it, in the FSX forum.

It has 4 buttons. It swaps Radio Active/Standby frequency for Com1, Com2, Nav1, and Nav2.

(I got annoyed having to pop up the radio panel on approach when all I want to do is swap Com2 active standby, etc)

I explain in the thread how to create it, and how to place it in the main panel of the Cessna C172.

-----------------------------------------------------

Even though it works fine, I am left with some questions.

I have FSX-Acceleration.

I have the FSX_ACC_SDK installed

The gauge works fine in my FSX-ACC, but I'm not sure if it would work when used in FS2004.

In it I used some commands (K_events) from the "Event Id's list in the ACC-SDK.

The first part of this list says: "EventID's new in FSX-Acceleration", the second part of the list says: "EventID's new in FSX".

The EventID's I used were in the section Lower down.

The 4 events I defined are:

0 (>K:COM_STBY_RADIO_SWAP)

0 (>K:COM2_RADIO_SWAP)

0 (>K:NAV1_RADIO_SWAP)

0 (>K:NAV2_RADIO_SWAP)

My question is, will these events work in FS9. Or should I add to my thread that the gauge will only work in FSX?

I find confusing: "EventID's new in FSX". Does that mean you could not create those using the FS2004 SDK tools, but if you add them manually they will work?

Or does it mean they will not work when the gauge is used in FS9?

I googled this, for a good few hours, and am still not sure, so I thought I'd better ask.

What I could find was this thread on FSDev. with a post from n4gix:

Quote:"

lionheart said: ?

Can I ask why you put Zero's ahead of each set of bracketed Parameters? This totally baffled me. I dont think I have seen it yet and was curious what it does.

0 (>K:COM_RADIO) 0 (>K:SELECT_1) 0 (>K:FREQUENCY_SWAP)

I have been asking so many questions that I am nervous about asking more, but in learning more, I have even more questions. Trying to find the ansers though as much on my own as possible.

Many thanks for your help. Many thanks..

Bill

Reply from n4gix:

Bill, that's there to "force" the K:event to fire...

...don't ask me why it won't work without the zero,

'cause I don't know! :yikes:

What this "command sequence" does is this:

1. Work with COM_RADIO(s)

2. SELECT_1 = I wanna work with COM1

3. FREQUENCY_SWAP = Swap COM1 and COM1_Standby freqs.

Now a reasonable person might ask, why didn't you simply use K:COM_RADIO_SWAP? After all, that K:event works in FSX!

Remember the FS9 SDK entry which states "unsupported?" That's why! :eek:

KEY_COM_RADIO_SWAP Unsupported	Swaps COM 1 frequency with standby

Since I deliberately write XML that will work seamless in both FS9 and FSX, I chose to use the above "command script" for everything, just to keep everything similar.

// Swap COM1 Active/Standby Freqs
0 (>K:COM_RADIO) 0 (>K:SELECT_1) 0 (>K:FREQUENCY_SWAP)

// Swap COM2 Active/Standby Freqs
0 (>K:COM_RADIO) 0 (>K:SELECT_2) 0 (>K:FREQUENCY_SWAP)

// Swap NAV1 Active/Standby Freqs
0 (>K:NAV_RADIO) 0 (>K:SELECT_1) 0 (>K:FREQUENCY_SWAP)

// Swap NAV2 Active/Standby Freqs
0 (>K:NAV_RADIO) 0 (>K:SELECT_2) 0 (>K:FREQUENCY_SWAP)

Last edited: 27 Jun 2008

n4gix, 27 Jun 2008

(( http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/nav1-2-active-indicators-how.10469/ ))

It looks like n4gix says there that FSX-Events will not work when a gauge uses them in FS9.

But then I read it more closely. I understand the method n4gix uses for for example:

// Swap COM1 Active/Standby Freqs

But then I noticed that what he is trying to avoid using is the event "KEY_COM_RADIO_SWAP", notice "KEY".

That made me think.... is what n4gix does really necessary???

Could he not just have used "COM_RADIO_SWAP" and "COM2_RADIO_SWAP" ?????

((I know he says: "FS9 SDK entry which states "unsupported?"))

((I wanted to know more, including where to find that FS9 list))

So I searched some more.

I had up till now 2 lists of events:

k_events.txt - A file from XMLGAU01.zip --- By Arne Bartels.

I think that is the list of available events for FS2002.

And I think these events will also work in later FS versions.

---->In that list there is no "COM_RADIO_SWAP"

Also the list of "Events" from the FSX-ACC--SDK

I think those work only in fsx and fsx-acc. (the ones that say "new in FSX")

And some of them only in fsx-acc. (the ones that say "New in FSX-Acceleration)

---->In the "new in fsx" list the "COM_RADIO_SWAP" is there.

I am not interested in getting a gauge to work in FS2002. Just FS2004.

I realised what I needed is a list of the Events available in FS2004.

I found on simviation "fsuipc.zip" for FS2004. With a list of 'Controls".

several fsuipc in this link, I'll give the discription.

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=fsuipc.zip&x=0&y=0

fsuipc.zip (Category: FS2004 > Utilities)

Zip file preview

2.03Mb (27249 downloads)

fsuipc.zip. v2.975 FS2004/FS98/FS2000/FS2002/CFS/CFS2 FSUIPC.dll application interfacing module . FSUIPC is effectively a successor to FS6IPC.dll. Both modules are designed to allow external (i.e. separate) programs to communicate with and perhaps control Microsoft Flight Simulator. Also included is WeatherSet.exe, an advanced weather application for FS2000. By Pete Dowson.. 672K

In that I found file: "List of FS2004 Controls.pdf"

To me that looks like the Events available from FS2004.

And in that list, ----> "COM_RADIO_SWAP" is there!!

So "COM_RADIO_SWAP" is:

on the fsx-list I have,

on the FS2004 fsuipc list I have,

but not on the FS2002 list.

I also had a look for "KEY_COM_RADIO_SWAP", with "KEY",

This appears in the fsx-sdk Events list,

But NOT on the FS2004 events from the fsuipc list,

also not on the FS2002 list "k_events.txt".

So, I'm starting to think that n4gix uses that code either to:

-Avoid the "KEY_COM_RADIO_SWAP" command, 'unavailable in fs2004'.

(which is indeed not on the fsuipc FS2004 list I have.)

-Or maybe he was mixed up (seems wrong to even say that...) and accidentally said the "COM_RADIO_SWAP", no "KEY" is not available in FS2004, where he should have said he uses this kind of code because the "COM_RADIO_SWAP" is not available in... FS2002.

(because that sure is on my fsuipc fs2004 list.)

In any case, I'm starting to feel more and more like my gauge may work just fine in FS2004.

All questions together:

**Does "EventID's new in FSX" mean they won't work in FS2004 or earlier?

Still, this event, "COM_RADIO_SWAP" is also on the FSUIPC "List of FS2004 Controls.pdf".

**Does that mean my simple swap4frequencies gauge will work if used in FS2004?

They are not on FS2002's "k_events.txt"

**Does it mean it won't work in FS2002 or earlier?

Also I just thought of:

**will "EventID's new in FSX Acceleration" work in FSX DeLuxe/DeluxeSP1?

**Will "EventID's new in FSX Acceleration" work in DeLuxe with SP2 installed?

And maybe most important:

**Where can I find a list of FS2004 Events, like the one n4gix is looking at. In which it is mentioned when a command is "Unsupported".

He says it's from the: "FS9 SDK entry".

**Would I need to have FS9 and the FS9 sdk to get a hold of that list?? Or is it available on-line somewhere. I didn't manage to find it.

Here's a link to the thread with my gauge,

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?291957-showing-gauge-to-Jim-Robinson

Thanks for taking the time to read. I hope you can help out.

Have fun with the gauge if you decide to use it.:)

il88pp.:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

First, the KEY_ commands are for use in C++ gauges, while the equivalent command (without the KEY_ in front of it) are used for XML gauges. People tend to refer to them interchangeably. So I'll ignore all of your questions related to that - you are creating XML gauges, so when someone talks about KEY_xxx commands, just remove the KEY_ from the front of it for your use.

You can download the FS9 SDK from this page:

http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2798/microsoft-flight-simulator-2004-sdk-pack-all-kits/

Inside this is the Panels SDK, and inside the Docs folder is the EventIDs.doc file (Word file). That should give you most of the FS9 info you need to know.

If they are "new for FSX", then those won't work in FS9, no matter how you add them. I checked the FS9 SDK for the 4 you list, and COM_STBY_RADIO_SWAP is NOT there. The rest are OK. So it appears you should use Bill's code instead for at least Com1.

And FS2002 style gauges won't work in FSX, so that's not very useful. But no, they won't work in FS2002. And if they are new for Acceleration, they will not work in earlier versions.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Thank you for testing it for me Jim. Good news that it works. Thinking of why it does now...

I think I will try to find out how that fsuipc 'controls' list came about.

I just installed the FS2004 panels sdk part, and will start looking into that also.

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The thread continued in the fsx forum for over 50 posts and led to a satisfactory answer.

There are Events that do work in FS2004, even though they are not on the FS9-sdk EventID list. Events that were supposed to work only in fsx.

The file I have, from the fsuipc.zip file (version 3.75, for FS2004), seems a good list to go by. (not 100% confirmed, but good enough for me.)

The filename of this list is: "List of FS2004 Controls.pdf".

The thread eventually also led to me creating my first gauge using the fsx-sdk ace.exe tool.

A struggle, but successful.

solution found.

thanks all,

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm happy to read of your success. Keep in mind though that the fsx-sdk ace.exe tool will only create gauges for FSX. They are not backwards compatible with FS9.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Hi n4gix. Thank you, you guessed right, that was going to be my next question:). Glad I finally found my way to this forum.

And I come across your contributions in so many other forums too! It's a huge help. Thank you.:)

Il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived