Captainsim planes.

alexzar14

Just starting with these but getting support from captainsim is like jumping over a 4 story building so let me try here (lots of captainsimmers here knowing the planes).

1. 727

This one is almost perfect. The only issue is "sinking" warnings on approach and landing I don't know how to disable.

2. 1011

This one has an issue with its INS, it doesn't set the heading bug. I do the alignment and set it to "auto", set the hdg control to "FMS" on the autopilot, but it doesn't set the hdg bug. I tamper with it on climb disabling/enabling and then it seems to capture (set the bug), on the ground however it doesn't. I fly short cargo flights 2-3 hrs and don't want to start with CIVA, I rather enjoy playing with engineer's panel.

3. 737 this one has serious problems:

1. the passenger version is ok but the freighter (and I only fly freighters pretending I am flying in present time) has no HSI gauge on the copilot's side. Ok can fly without it but another one is worst: no heading bug on the captain's (left) HSI, don't see it. Not good.

Usually when you download an installer it is the latest version of the software. With CS however, I believe the installers are original releases, you have to download the patches separately (no idea, assuming only because the things are buggy like hell, confirm please). If patches required, where do I get it? Don't see it anywhere on their site.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CS installers usually contain the version number in their name. So if your dl 737 has "1600" in it, that would be the latest version 1.6. The 727 should be 2.6 and the 1011 the 1.2 I think.

Nr 2: AFAIK this has to be set to INS. They added the FMS option in a later SP to accomodate 3rd party FMSs. But I never delved into this myself, the 1011 is collecting a little dust in my hangar.

1. Do you mean the GPWS "Dont sink"? You could try to adjust this in the aircraft.cfg, section [GPWS] Other sounds can be influenced in the captain_sim\727 folder in your main directory (sound.ini)

2. see my post above, afraid I cannot be of much help here

3. Never noticed the missing HSI, but obvious when you know it. Will check the panel.cfg, should not be a big deal. The heading bug is there, it is just very small. A little triangle facing away from the numbers on the compass rose. Look closely...

2015-7-27_18-46-58-729.jpg

OK, figured out the missing HSI on the FOs side in the freighter:

1. Open the panel.cfg of the freighter (subfolder \SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B737-200F\panel) in your notepad.

2. find the section [VCockpit10]

3. make the first two gauges look like this:

gauge00=..\..\CS_B737-200\panel\Captain_Sim.x737.L07!R07, 0, 0, 1023, 785

gauge01=..\..\CS_B737-200\panel\Captain_Sim.x737.L07!R07_cps, 1024, 0, 515,864

( the difference is the "L07!" instead of "R07!" - must be a typo)

4. Save.

5. Done

What does not work is the clicking sound when adjusting the HSI as FO - but that does not work in the pax version either.

2015-7-27_18-59-9-791.jpg

Btw I got me the TSS Tristar HD sounds when I noticed that CS had recycled some sounds from the 707 (for example engine spool up). Dont care for two very different planes producing the same soundscape...

An afterthought about the INS and heading bug thing. This could be accurate. There are modern times FMSs that don't activate LNAV either while you are on the ground or when you are not on a valid intercept course.

But either way I'm pretty sure that you have to set the AP to INS (setting looks like "ONS" on my dashboard), not to FMS.

Thank you, will be in home in an hour and will be going over this.

As far as INS, there are 3 settings on that knob:

1. VOR, manual direction manipulation.

2. FMS, this you select if you want to fly with Captainsim's INS.

3. ONS, this one you select if you want to fly with third party INS like CIVA.

There is no INS setting on mine, only VOR/FMS/ONS. There may be different versions, I see videos on utube and they have different sounds for APU start and other starting business that I don't have. Oh wait, there may have been a typo in the manual and I really have to select the "ONS" like you say, not "FMS". I'll try and will let you know...

Ok, the gauge is there! a success. The hdg bug isn't there though. It is there in a passenger version, not in freighter :( I understand it is small but it is really not there in the freighter.

That is strange. It is there in mine (yellow DHL livery) - on both HSIs too and individually adjustable. There is not much that can go wrong, because the bug picture is a part of the L07 gauge package too - so if one part is displayed, the other should too. Installation error? Lights? (there is a darker version of the bug in the L07 too, that would be very hard to see)?

The defining section is this one:

[VCockpit04]

size_mm=2048,2048

pixel_size=2048,2048

texture=$_04

background_color=0,0,0

gauge00=..\..\CS_B737-200\panel\Captain_Sim.x737.L06!L06_bg, 8, 856, 810,624

gauge01=..\..\CS_B737-200\panel\Captain_Sim.x737.L06!L06_bg2, 1540, 7, 509,1656

gauge02=..\..\CS_B737-200\panel\Captain_Sim.x737.L06!L06_ndl, 220, 795, 720,46

gauge03=..\..\CS_B737-200\panel\Captain_Sim.x737.L06!L06_flag, 8, 1499, 379, 58

gauge04=..\..\CS_B737-200\panel\Captain_Sim.x737.L06!L06_flag_gs, 1534, 1460, 44,218

gauge05=..\..\CS_B737-200\panel\Captain_Sim.x737.L07!L07, 0, 0, 1023, 785

gauge06=..\..\CS_B737-200\panel\Captain_Sim.x737.L07!L07_cps, 1024, 0, 515,864

gauge07=..\..\CS_B737-200\panel\Captain_Sim.x737.general!L_backlight, 8, 820, 200,20

Thank you, will be in home in an hour and will be going over this.

As far as INS, there are 3 settings on that knob:

1. VOR, manual direction manipulation.

2. FMS, this you select if you want to fly with Captainsim's INS.

3. ONS, this one you select if you want to fly with third party INS like CIVA.

There is no INS setting on mine, only VOR/FMS/ONS. There may be different versions, I see videos on utube and they have different sounds for APU start and other starting business that I don't have. Oh wait, there may have been a typo in the manual and I really have to select the "ONS" like you say, not "FMS". I'll try and will let you know...

No, you are right, it should be on FMS, GPS flightplan loaded and hit HDG to start tracking. I suspect it will not do so on the ground and I don't think it should move the heading bug anyway. The purpose of the heading bug is to be able to set a heading apart from NAV/VOR and FMS - in case they fail or if you have to override them for some reason (like switching over to a new VOR at exactly the right time or setting the heading bug to the runway heading on takeoff and landing, in case somehing goes wrong but you want to keep the AP active). I keep thinking that some FMCs won't activate lateral guidance if you are not on an intercept course to the route / waypoint (max. 30 degrees off?).

I don't think there is another version of the 1011 on uTube (the different sounds are added sound packages, like I did with the TSS).

I guess this is it (above), will check tonight.

Yesterday I was checking the INS on 1011, it does not work. It sets the heading and hold it but not in right direction. On one occasion it did set it correctly to the first waypoint (going 0-1), the distance was reading as outbound though. I inputed the waypoint config to go "1-2" and the distance reading was correct. Upon reaching the waypoint (0 miles, which did correspond to GPS path and FSCommander), the heading bug was not reset to new heading and the waypoint config remained "1-2", INS was set to "auto".

Surly not working properly, will reinstall and get CIVA if reinstalling won't help. CIVA takes long to input and patience to input it correctly (otherwise you may end up near south pole on flight from NY to London), unless now you can have the CIVA read flightplan's waypoints or have the FP inputed to CIVA similar way to Captainsim's INS?

Hi, don't know what to tell you, but the INS works, and I suspect yours does too.

The procedure to set it up is quite complicated, I got it wrong the first time and saw exactly the same behaviour as you did (that is why I conclude yours is working too, but you probably made the same mistake I did).

When my first attempt failed, I pulled out the manual, and followed the description on page 133 of the csl011_manual2.pdf to the letter. And it worked right away, just like it should.

The most obvious thing that can go wrong is, when you type in your own position incorrectly or at the wrong time. Then it will do what you describe, simply because its starting point is completely off. Second, make sure you use the 2D panel. AFAIK there is already a copy of the CIVA INS in there (like in Flightsimlabs Concorde), but that one only works well when using the 2D panel. And load your flightplan at exactly the right time, or you will end up with KSEA to KSEA. You can check by clicking on the middle right screw, that will display your loaded FP.

The way I see it, you don't need to reinstall, you only have to get it right - and no deviating from the procedure, or you will be in trouble.

For takeoff I set the heading to the runway direction, preselected the initial altitude, IAS of 250 and the intended VS of 2600. Right after takeoff / 400ft I engaged the AP in NAV mode, so she would follow the preselects. Then I switched to FMS mode, and she instantly picked up the first waypoint. Unfortunately that one was way too close to the airport, so she flew a nice 360 before aligning with the route and proceeding. As of now she switched to the second page and is still on track from LIRF to LOWW.

2015-7-28_19-22-56-30.jpg

2015-7-28_19-23-53-119.jpg

BTW, if you want, post a screenshot of your 737 freighter left instrument console, maybe there is something else missing. And please check if the heading bug is there on the newly repaired FOs HSI.

Here's the pic. I copy/pasted your VC section to my panel.cfg but it didn't help the hdg bug. Also the gps switch doesn't engage, I assume it is part of a problem.

On the left is the passenger version (with bug present), on the right is the freighter.

ok meanwhile I'm going to check the 1011 INS, you did a good job explaining the problem ))

731212.jpg

the INS issue is solved! Once I heard the CS INS loads the flightplan I believed the thing is a simple FSX-based device that does it by itself and all you have to do is load the flightplan, thus didn't bother with the manual. I'm actually glad there is work to it, I like some work - initialization, but not the waypoint inputing.

Here's the pic. I copy/pasted your VC section to my panel.cfg but it didn't help the hdg bug. Also the gps switch doesn't engage, I assume it is part of a problem.

On the left is the passenger version (with bug present), on the right is the freighter.

Hi, this is a tough one to diagnose, as I don't experience this. Fact of the matter is, that the freigther VC gauges are only referencing the pax version, they are not packages of their own. And the heading bug picture is an internal part of the L07 gauge. So if this works in one plane, it should work in the other one too. Did you install anything "extra" to this model?

You could try some blunt instruments:

- Fiddle around with the ACE and the in-sim config panels, see if they need to set something

- power up the plane, play around with the systems

- clean out the "Trusted" section in your fsx.cfg from all things cs737 in case you missed a gauge on the first run

- uninstall the whole thing, then clean up fsx.cfg and start over.

The CaptainSim forums usually are pretty good, some knowledgable people over there who even offer improvements and fixes for the cs models.

the INS issue is solved! Once I heard the CS INS loads the flightplan I believed the thing is a simple FSX-based device that does it by itself and all you have to do is load the flightplan, thus didn't bother with the manual. I'm actually glad there is work to it, I like some work - initialization, but not the waypoint inputing.

Hi, this one AFAIK really is a copy of the CIVA INS and works much (or rather exactly) the same way. The FSL Concorde has the CIVA too, and I seem to remember the 1011 warning me about this on installation. So some work is needed, but after you warmed it up and set the initial position correctly (watch out for the fractions of degrees, the display on the INS does not have the same precision (=less digits) as the FSX internal coordinates!), you can load any FSX flightplan into it.

ok I will experiment. We have a big progress anyway, we figured the INS (I owe you a whisky bottle for that!)

Another issue I want to address is V take of speeds and landing speeds. I don't have a printer and switching between the sim and manual is irritating. Is there a calculator or some addon which can do it for you? Any other easier ways to manage this subject?

ok I will experiment. We have a big progress anyway, we figured the INS (I owe you a whisky bottle for that!)

Another issue I want to address is V take of speeds and landing speeds. I don't have a printer and switching between the sim and manual is irritating. Is there a calculator or some addon which can do it for you? Any other easier ways to manage this subject?

I keep these on a tablet...

Do you know your way around the FSX kneeboard? That one basically displays html pages, so you could type the performance charts into a file and view it on the kneeboard in the sim...

Hi kneeboard is no big deal.

- You put together a page you like to see in the kneeboard with a HTML capable software (MS Word can do this, or Openoffice).

- Then you save it in the aircrafts base folder, for example "\Simobjects\CS_L-1011\csl-1011_ref.htm" .

- You then open the aircraft.cfg and put the following in every [fltsim.x] definition: kb_reference=csl-1011_ref

If you open the kneeboard in the sim, your page will be there. You will have to play around a bit with the layout. Check the files for the default planes as examples. There are other "kb_" definitions available too.

I will try. You keep mentioning Concorde, I don't have intention to start with it now as I am captainsimming for another 2-3 months but you got my attention on Concorde... I will try find some tutorial videos to see what it is. I also want to fly the Tu-154 (London/Paris - Norilsk/Murmansk whatever). Good looking plane (watched a movie about it), good sceneries (judging by pictures), but I have a major phobia of this plane. I'll have some real hard time mastering it, I guess.

Hi, I have the FlightSimLabs Concorde, bought as the Aerosoft box ("Concorde X"). This one is quite the beast and very demanding of system resources (it will reset your texture resolution for its cockpit). Just reading the documentation and fiddling with it brought no enjoyment, so I bought a DVD about the plane "ITVV Aerospatiale/BAC Concorde". Very good stuff, and it was only after that, that I knew what she expected me to do... The ITVV videos are all pretty good - a bit dated to be sure, but very enjoyable - especially the 146 video, that one I keep returning to quite often.

Archived