Is AVSIM Dead?

silverheels2

Rather than guessing or speculating what happened, this is from their Facebook posting.

Today:

Update: AVSIM technician will be at the collocation today to install replacement hard drive which will bring AVSIM back online. More details below.

Root cause of failure: Two failed hard drives (out of 5) on the RAID.

Fault category: Aging hard drives.

Corrective Action: Immediately replace one of the two failed hard drives to bring RAID back online. Install new Dell Storage Area Network to replace aging drives. Begin transferring all data to Dell Storage Area Network (site won't be affected). Aging RAID will no longer be primary to the functionality of AVSIM.

Yesterday:

Update: AVSIM was able to arrange for an IT expert and the new equipment to be installed a day ahead of schedule. We will be working diligently at the collocation Friday to get the equipment installed and AVSIM back up and running.

From July 22nd:

Update: AVSIM identified a failed hard drive and a hard drive that was beginning a downward spiral early this month. We ordered a new storage area network to replace the aging storage infrastructure hoping the dwindling drive holding up the RAID would work until our new installation this Saturday. Unfortunately, we experienced a second drive failure early this morning which put our site offline.

The good news is everything is backed up and retrievable. We won't be able to recover it until our new system is set up on Saturday. AVSIM will be offline until that time.

Cannot believe they don't use hot spares..... It's an array, you should have a hot spare for every 30 physical disks :-/

Yes. Good suggestion. That's what is being done right now and should be finished by this weekend.

Best regards,

Jim

BTW, just for general information, the Dell SAN is not a cheap proposition!

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/iscsi-san-products

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived