Windows 8.1 and FSX

vry

I've searched online and these forums, and cannot find a solution.

I installed fsx with Administrator privileges on a second hard drive.

FSX works fine on Windows 7.

I have a custom PC by Maingear:

Motherboard: ASUS GRYPHON Z97. Windows 8.1

Processor: Intel® CoreT i7 4790 Memory: 16GB Corsair® Graphics and GPGPU

Accelerator: NVIDIA® GeForceT GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 w/PhysX

Hard Drive Bay One: 2TB Seagate SSHD Hybrid SATA w/ 8GB Caching

Hard Drive Bay Two: 4TB Seagate® Desktop HDD.15 5900rpm 64MB Cache SATA 6G

Windows gives me crashes, incompatible with fs9 aircraft, problems with moving files, problems with scenery creation etc.

Has anyone had a good result with Windows 8.1?

I'm running 8.1 Pro with FSX:Steam. No problems. Did it run good with just the basic FSX?

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

First off, do not install the game in program files. Some windows settings can cause issues with games and high amounts of file access in these folders.

Make sure its installed in a dedicated games folder; IE C:/Games/FSX.

Secondly make sure DX10 is disabled in FSX.

Third run the game as an admin

Fourth install DX9; Yes, I mean it. Older Dx9 games can have problems trying to run natively in Dx11. Install a recent Dx9 package to resolve this.

Make sure your AV program is not scanning the game while its active by adding the games exe to the whitelist or ignore list.

And last but not least, if you still have problems after all this try a "clean boot" procedure (google for guide) this will test if its a software environment problem (ie another program causing crashes).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks. I'll try all these. I have the feeling that I'm going to have to reinstall.

Something is corrupted. But the game in a fresh install worked fine. One more thing is that new Add-on scenery fails to install.

I may return to my old Windows 7 computer.

Guest SkyScorpion
Uh WHY would you tell him to disable DirectX 10 when theres a fixer (and overall DX10 enhancer) for the texture bug and his system is 4x whats needed for FSX?

Finally, I've solved it. I added a new 2TB Hard Drive to my old computer, which has Windows 7. Everything solved.

There are many references on the internet on FSX with Win 8.1. The conclusion is that it is incompatible.

After posting my last response, Windows 8.1 did this to FSX:

- aircraft sound is off

- trashed my Hard Drive, requiring a reformat

- removed all my new aircraft and new scenery (all these were commercial programs)

- altered fsx.cfg

- FSUIPC seems not to work properly. It is also recommended that no modules should be added to Win 8.1.

Perhaps Windows 10 will fix things. But I doubt it. Many state that Windows 8.1 has killed FSX. P3D anyone?

Note that some users have had no trouble with Win 8.1 and FSX

Thanks

It is ABSOLUTELY NOT true that Wondows 8 and 8.1 are not compatible with FSX - repeat NOT.

I have been running this combination for over 2 years, with no issues AT ALL.

But, then again, I did my homework. Before I installed, I scanned the threads in this august forum for hints and tips, then I installed FSX to my F: drive, that is, OUTSIDE the default location in Program Files on the C: drive.

This is the important part - do not, repeat NOT install to the default location. This is also important in Windows 7, from what I read, but much more so in Windows 8/8.1, and I would think also in Windows 10. Perhaps someone running Windows 10 could elaborate on that?

Jorgen

Why not install to the default location? I always have, FS9 2x, P3D, FSX, after turning UAC right down, as recommended by some developers whose name escape me. (it was a long time ago). This we have also done, with W7 & W8/8.1, on about 30 PC's at different VA's.

Never a problem at all. I have also researched on various sites that many others have done this, also with no problems.

So, anyone out there, on any OS, with UAC turned down, having or had any issues?

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

...I scanned the threads in this august forum for hints and tips...

I'm sorry, but I am more of a May kinda guy, not August :D :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I am using Vista Home premium, UAC turned off, FS9 and FSX-SE are NOT in the default location, in fact they are on a separate drive partition, and both set to run as ADMIN. I've had NO problems with either one.

I did read someplace, I think on Mr. Dowson's FSUIPC blog and/or forum, that having multiple copies of the same version of FSUIPC will cause some problems with CTD's and lock-ups. I went through and deleted every duplicate copy of the DLL. It solved the CTD problems I'd had with FS9...Remember, this only applies to duplicates of the same version. I have the 3.9.9.9z (I think) in FS9/Modules folder, and the latest, 4.93, for FSX-SE in it's Modules folder with no problems, though.

Zipped copies are ok, it's just unzipped. Just another possibility.

Just my 2¢ worth...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I'm sorry, but I am more of a May kinda guy, not August :D :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Pat☺

HEY BUB! YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH AUGUST?? We Leos are the salt of the earth.Or so I'd like to believe. :-)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Lessee....William Frawley (My 3 Sons)

Sorry, just exercising my trivial mind! :p

Don't know whereof you speak. But if his three sons are Leos, they are killer dudes!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived