What are the most realistic 737/320 models available right now?

super jet 100

What are the most realistic 737/320 models available right now or will be in near future?

I would like to buy 737 and 320 model for Prepar3D. Which company or developer have succeed with creating close to reality dashboard/cockpit of 737 and 320? My main goal is to get familiar with their cockpits, instruments, procedures (emergency scenarios etc.) and I'm not really interested how they perform in virtual air. I'm new to flight simulation and have very little spare time to dig google and forums to compare everything on my own, so your suggestions will be HIGHLY appreciable! :)

As far as I know, Prepar3D is the best flight simulator right now, right? Will it satisfy my needs or maybe there are some better options available for X-Plane? Maybe there are some really good models that will be available in near future? I want to get academic license for P3D, but before I buy it, I need to get this thing clear for me.

THANKS!

Hello!

Welcome to the forums! :D In my opinion, I think the PMDG 737 for p3d is the best one out there. I personally think that their products are a bit overpriced, but I don't know about you. The links to the products are below:

For the 737-700W and the 737-600:

http://www.pmdgsimulations.com/pages/product/P3D/ngx6700.html

For the 737-800W and the 737-900W:

http://www.pmdgsimulations.com/pages/product/P3D/ngx8900.html

The models both have winglets and non-winglets, but I prefer the ones with winglets. You should buy the 737-600, and the -700 since they both come in the same package, and the -600 and -700 package is only 25 dollars, and the -800/-900 package costs a whooping 90 dollars! The two packages only work for p3d 2.2 to 2.5. If you want a new livery/repaint for your PMDG 737 you can download more for free from some websites, but I don't know the web names since I don't have any PMDG add-ons.

If you want the a320 models, Aerosoft is the answer. You can get a bundle of a318, a319, a320, and a321's for about 50 usd. Don't get confused though, the a318, a319, and the a321 are all in the a320 family, so they look alike, except for their length. You must have v2 or up of p3d for the package to work. The package is for fsx, and p3d. Here is the link for the a320 below:

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,,D13235

Finally, to end this rather long reply, DO NOT hold on to me for any wrong things I said, because I don't have p3d, or any aerosoft or pmdg add ons. I only FSX steam , and x-plane 10. And, I think you should get FSX, as p3d is still under development, and it doesn't include all worldwide airports. FSX also has many fun missions and checkrides for you to do, so it is really worth the 30 bucks you spend for it. I hope this helps you find your packages.

Daniel

hello!

Welcome to the forums! :d in my opinion, i think the pmdg 737 for p3d is the best one out there. I personally think that their products are a bit overpriced, but i don't know about you. The links to the products are below:

For the 737-700w and the 737-600:

http://www.pmdgsimulations.com/pages/product/p3d/ngx6700.html

for the 737-800w and the 737-900w:

http://www.pmdgsimulations.com/pages/product/p3d/ngx8900.html

the models both have winglets and non-winglets, but i prefer the ones with winglets. You should buy the 737-600, and the -700 since they both come in the same package, and the -600 and -700 package is only 25 dollars, and the -800/-900 package costs a whooping 90 dollars! The two packages only work for p3d 2.2 to 2.5. If you want a new livery/repaint for your pmdg 737 you can download more for free from some websites, but i don't know the web names since i don't have any pmdg add-ons.

If you want the a320 models, aerosoft is the answer. You can get a bundle of a318, a319, a320, and a321's for about 50 usd. Don't get confused though, the a318, a319, and the a321 are all in the a320 family, so they look alike, except for their length. You must have v2 or up of p3d for the package to work. The package is for fsx, and p3d. Here is the link for the a320 below:

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,,d13235

finally, to end this rather long reply, do not hold on to me for any wrong things i said, because i don't have p3d, or any aerosoft or pmdg add ons. I only fsx steam , and x-plane 10. And, i think you should get fsx, as p3d is still under development, and it doesn't include all worldwide airports. Fsx also has many fun missions and checkrides for you to do, so it is really worth the 30 bucks you spend for it. I hope this helps you find your packages.

Daniel

thanks a lot daniel!

I seriously doubt that anyone with significant experience is going to recommend buying anything until you are more forthcoming about your reasons for wanting nothing more than a panel... "My main goal is to get familiar with their cockpits, instruments, procedures (emergency scenarios etc.) and I'm not really interested how they perform in virtual air." If you are not interested in performance, why have a flight simulator at all? Most any panel will provide a look at the instruments, but only proper aircraft performance will make them operate in a manor that displays what you say you would like to see. Your request is so vague as to sound very fishy; be more specific and you might get a better response.

One more question:

Do I need to buy 3rd party plugins (add-ons or whatever they called) to get fully working cockpit for PMDG 737 NGX and Airsoft 320 ? For ex., as far as I know, you need to buy standalone GPS software from Flight1 (they're developing close to real ones G1000 and GTN750) to get almost identical Cessna 172 with fully clickable and working avionic systems and navigation.

I seriously doubt that anyone with significant experience is going to recommend buying anything until you are more forthcoming about your reasons for wanting nothing more than a panel... "My main goal is to get familiar with their cockpits, instruments, procedures (emergency scenarios etc.) and I'm not really interested how they perform in virtual air." If you are not interested in performance, why have a flight simulator at all? Most any panel will provide a look at the instruments, but only proper aircraft performance will make them operate in a manor that displays what you say you would like to see. Your request is so vague as to sound very fishy; be more specific and you might get a better response.

I just want to learn basic procedures and instruments of 737 and 320. That's my main goal and the sim will be no more than a tool for me :) I have very little spare time to fly in a sim just for fun. Hopefully you understand me.

I just want to learn basic procedures and instruments of 737 and 320. That's my main goal and the sim will be no more than a tool for me :) I have very little spare time to fly in a sim just for fun. Hopefully you understand me.

If you are not flying for fun, are you flying for commercial purposes?

And, I think you should get FSX, as p3d is still under development, and it doesn't include all worldwide airports.

Prepar3D has precisely the same number of airports as FSX + Acceleration.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

One more question:

Do I need to buy 3rd party plugins (add-ons or whatever they called) to get fully working cockpit for PMDG 737 NGX and Airsoft 320 ? For ex., as far as I know, you need to buy standalone GPS software from Flight1 (they're developing close to real ones G1000 and GTN750) to get almost identical Cessna 172 with fully clickable and working avionic systems and navigation.

Hi!

Sorry, but I am not sure about that since I don't own any PMDG addons.

And, I think you should get FSX, as p3d is still under development, and it doesn't include all worldwide airports.

This is not correct. P3D is an FSX clone, that is being updated on an infrequent basis. The base data is identical, as are the textures, ATC, everything really. The only real difference in look and feel is, that P3D uses an updated graphics module.

One more question:

No, you only need the basic sim and the addon itself (the airplanes are called "addons" too). And if you buy a good addon Cessna 172, like the one from A2A simulations, you don't need anything on top - everything works, and everything breaks. Unless you want the GTN 750 for course.

Same goes for the airliners: The PMDG 737 NGX and the Aerosoft Airbus are complete packages with everything on it.

For procedures training you should be aware of the following:

- All real-world procedures are based on a two pilot workflow, with checklists, memory items, whatnot. So if you really want to train, you would need a second person in the cockpit, or something like FS2Crew.

- Emergency procedures are not modelled in the Aerosoft Airbus.

- The PMDG 737 is better in this respect, and there even is a FS2Crew package for emergencies.

- The PMDG 737 comes with over 1000 pages of documentation (the Boeing FCOM basically), so you'd better make a little time available for your hobby (unless you already know the procedures of course)

There are so many products and addons out there, that it is easy to fall for a trap and buy stuff you don't really need. Start with the sim and one plane (PMDG 737 NGX). See how everything goes. Start watching Youtube videos. Gather information on possible additional addons. Ask in the forums what is worth having. And so on...

This is not correct. P3D is an FSX clone, that is being updated on an infrequent basis. The base data is identical, as are the textures, ATC, everything really. The only real difference in look and feel is, that P3D uses an updated graphics module.

Oh. Sorry about that.

No, you only need the basic sim and the addon itself (the airplanes are called "addons" too). And if you buy a good addon Cessna 172, like the one from A2A simulations, you don't need anything on top - everything works, and everything breaks. Unless you want the GTN 750 for course.

Same goes for the airliners: The PMDG 737 NGX and the Aerosoft Airbus are complete packages with everything on it.

For procedures training you should be aware of the following:

- All real-world procedures are based on a two pilot workflow, with checklists, memory items, whatnot. So if you really want to train, you would need a second person in the cockpit, or something like FS2Crew.

- Emergency procedures are not modelled in the Aerosoft Airbus.

- The PMDG 737 is better in this respect, and there even is a FS2Crew package for emergencies.

- The PMDG 737 comes with over 1000 pages of documentation (the Boeing FCOM basically), so you'd better make a little time available for your hobby (unless you already know the procedures of course)

There are so many products and addons out there, that it is easy to fall for a trap and buy stuff you don't really need. Start with the sim and one plane (PMDG 737 NGX). See how everything goes. Start watching Youtube videos. Gather information on possible additional addons. Ask in the forums what is worth having. And so on...

great answer! that was very helpful! thanks!

One final thing: I saw in another forum you are planning on flying using the keyboard.

Forget ANY advanced simulation package unless you have the hardware to support it.

You can't ask for realism on the one hand and then fly it like a simpleton. Name any airplane that is flown in real life with a keyboard:

FMC's are programmed with keyboards. Aircraft are flown with stick, rudder and throttles...

As a minimum you will need a joystick with twist rudder. For ANY of the products being advised here you will need:

1: Yoke

2: Rudder Pedals

3: Throttle system (either included with the yoke or preferably separately).

Without these your `realism` isn't worth a damn, and your need for such products is proportional to the level of sophistication of the products.

If you're on a budget, your best bet is not to buy any of these, get a job - and start saving.

One other thing...

Start out slow, and incrementally purchase the Add-ons as your Skill Level increases. Add the Joystick with twist grip, and practice with it. Use a basic airplane like the C-172, and learn the ropes. Like the Real World, learning the Basics is the Foundation for everything else, and will lead to much less frustration later on as you transition to more complex Airplanes.

Hope this helps!

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

One other thing...

Start out slow, and incrementally purchase the Add-ons as your Skill Level increases. Add the Joystick with twist grip, and practice with it. Use a basic airplane like the C-172, and learn the ropes. Like the Real World, learning the Basics is the Foundation for everything else, and will lead to much less frustration later on as you transition to more complex Airplanes.

Hope this helps!

Alan :pilot:

Totally agree....looks like you are thinking of jumping into the deep end of the pool without learning to swim...better start off with something less complicated and then gradually increase your abilities...unless you are a real world Commercial Pilot preparing for your ATPL and/or Boeing 737/ Airbus A320 type rating and merely want to practice flows and procedures....and even for these purposes there are much much better tools for professional training (e.g. CAE Simfinity) than MSFS which is more of a leisure hobby thing...

To which must be added:

If you have very little spare time and not enough to even do your own research or search Google then, frankly, none of these products is for you.

They are known as `study sims` for very good reason - you need several hundred hours to master the intricacies of the software, and that's assuming you already have mastery over the software that runs it. And when I say `you` I mean YOU, as no-one can do it for you.

As others have suggested, and your absence from a return visit to the forum indicates, I would also urge you to start simply, do the hundred hours or so of basic awareness of the complexities involve in flight and flight simulation, then come back here with a firmer notion of what you are trying to achieve.

Archived