What is the airspeed restriction altitude in Europe?

HoggyDog

In the U.S. we have a 250 KIAS speed limit below 10,000 feet MSL, and landing lights should be used to enable some pretense of "see and avoid."

When I flew in Europe nnn years ago (runway hazards back then included stray Tyrannosaurus Rexes and Pterodactyl strikes were not uncommon) we used 10,000 feet there as well. However, I believe they now have a different altitude "over there" below which landing lights must be on and speed must not exceed 250 KIAS.

Anybody know if that's true, and if so, what that altitude is?

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Landing lights on up to FTL500 and speed must not exceed 25MPH. (It's a school zone, you know!) Very good question! I'd like to see what things I'm doing wrong when I fly over there in the European....I'm apeein' countries.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• 2 weeks later...
In the U.S. we have a 250 KIAS speed limit below 10,000 feet MSL, and landing lights should be used to enable some pretense of "see and avoid."

When I flew in Europe nnn years ago (runway hazards back then included stray Tyrannosaurus Rexes and Pterodactyl strikes were not uncommon) we used 10,000 feet there as well. However, I believe they now have a different altitude "over there" below which landing lights must be on and speed must not exceed 250 KIAS.

Anybody know if that's true, and if so, what that altitude is?

It is still 250 below FL100. There is no legal requirement on when to have landing lights on, it's a judgement thing. If you there is a lot of VFR traffic around, put them on at a few thousand feet. Otherwise, In my airline I put them on when the landing gear comes down at 5 miles before the runway (about 1500ft).

The limit is 250 knots below 10,000 feet, as in the U.S. However, in the U.K. (and probably elsewhere in Europe), ATC controllers can, and often do, waive the speed restriction for departing jet aircraft.

In the U.S., ATC cannot waive the 250 knot restriction on departure. But, if a particular aircraft (due to weight) requires a flaps-up speed greater than 250 knots, the pilot may accelerate to the higher speed if required. No ATC clearance is required to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived