FSX waypoints and fixes

Arrow_PIC

Can anyone tell me how to add waypoints and fixes in FSX? I would like to add the ones published for the RNAV SIDs and STARs for airports such as Atlanta (KATL). I am familiar with using AFX, but, it doesn't seem to have any way to add these fixes.

Thanks,

If you just want to add a few you can do it with a simple XML script and compile it with bglcomp.exe.

Here's an example of a couple I added myself. You'd paste this to Notepad and save it as my_isecs.xml, then you drag/drop it on bglcomp.exe, it compiles it and outputs a file named my_isecs.bgl which you can put in an active scenery folder. waypointRegion="K7" for anything near KATL.

version="9.0"
  xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
  xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

lat="48.6824833333333"
  lon="-116.347113888889"
  waypointType="NAMED"
  magvar="-19"
  waypointRegion="K1"
  waypointIdent="ZAKNI">

lat="48.5565305555556"
  lon="-116.4036"
  waypointType="NAMED"
  magvar="-19"
  waypointRegion="K1"
  waypointIdent="HEROX">

lat="48.2626111111111"
  lon="-116.576391666667"
  waypointType="NAMED"
  magvar="-19"
  waypointRegion="K1"
  waypointIdent="HITOT">

lat="34.9048333333333"
  lon="-104.314833333333"
  waypointType="NAMED"
  magvar="-10"
  waypointRegion="K2"
  waypointIdent="IMMAS">

lat="32.9311666666667"
  lon="-104.233666666667"
  waypointType="NAMED"
  magvar="-10"
  waypointRegion="K2"
  waypointIdent="YORUB">

EDIT: I should mention that Airport Design Editor (ADE) can not only add waypoints, it can actually add/edit approaches too.

Please allow me to butt in here...

I to am interested in flying real world routes generated here:

http://www.simroutes.com/fb2/Details.aspx?PlanID=9153

The site that apparently had the updates -

http://www.btinterne...itch/index.html

No longer works. Is there a current file or location that has a simple download that adds any waypoints added since 2005, without messing things up? Just add any missing waypoints in current routes.

I've read old posts suggesting that we must update the database in the default FSX so that the routes generated at that site will work. The

You might look here:

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

I haven't tried it but I know some folks are using it, I believe it disables and replaces default .bgls which isn't a great idea in my book, but it does apparently back those files up making it possible to revert if necessary. I have no idea if it even adds any waypoints, read about it, I'd tend to trust it as long as it's reversible, but make sure you understand the uninstall process before you pull the trigger just in case. I think uninstall is outlined in the .pdf documentation, you can read that from the link without actually downloading/installing anything.

Jim

EDIT: If you generate a flight plan at simroutes that contains fixes not in the FSX database they will still work, those fixes can be defined in the .pln itself and the (default) autopilot/GPS will see them in their correct locations although technically they're just arbitrary user waypoints defined using the coords of the (missing) intersection in the real world.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm stuck at work till later tonight, so I won't be able to load up a flight plan at simroutes till then. If I understand correctly, the only difference between "real world" (how real world are we really... we're in a flight sim GAME) is if a fix in the route isn't a waypoint in the default database, there won't be a graphic in the GPS window, and just a kink in the route I guess. - OR - does it plot a generic waypoint? Its small potatoes and my questions will probably get answered when I try it tonight.

If I were a millionaire, I'd go back to college to get a commercial pilot license (for FUN!), why this stuff is so fascinating to me is odd. I originally wanted to become a pilot, but I chose the 9-5 job with family route instead. My head is spinning trying to learn this stuff on the fly, I can only imagine how much knowledge real commercial pilots must absorb.

I tend to agree, I don't want to cause potential large problems for something so simple and trivial as seeing a graphic waypoint show up on a GPS map

One other question while we're at it... If a GPS can get you from point A to point B in a straight line, why do they even have these STAR / SID approach, depart routes anyway? If a commercial jet is on an IFR plan being monitored by a flight center, and folks in the towers at the AP's direct you into the AP, why don't they just click on the GPS on the ascent and fly direct to their destination, only clicking off the direct route when directed to by the tower to get in line for the approach?

In a nutshell, traffic separation and ATC workload I suppose. It'd be like having several major highways converging into a big city rather than everything coming at ATC all at once from any direction or altitude imaginable. If everyone flies the same "highway" leading in from a given direction, and complies with the altitude restrictions, then theoretically all they have to worry about is a 747 running over a Skyhawk because of the speed differences.

I'm also awaiting a better answer, lol.

Archived