Can you & How do you load a SID in the GPS in FSX?

wing06

How you load a SID in the default GPS in FSX?

You could use an external flight planning application, like FSCommander. Select the SID and STAR in there, save the flightplan and load it in FSX. Or type in the waypoints yourself. But the altitude constraints will be gone.

You could use an external flight planning application, like FSCommander. Select the SID and STAR in there, save the flightplan and load it in FSX. Or type in the waypoints yourself. But the altitude constraints will be gone.

I do that with Carenado B200/C550, but I don't get the altitude constraints with GPS equipment there is. How do you get that? I am so far "eye balling" the descend profile.

You cannot get constraints or, indeed, any altitude information at all in the default GPS. Doesn't make any difference how you create the plan, except that if you use the default planner, very frequently the waypoints you need will not exist. The FSX data is very old.

DJ

Whoa, there Wing, don't give up so easily. There is a way, albeit round about and tedious.

Go to www.myairplane.com>NACO Approach Plates. In the box on the left of the box that comes up type in the ICAO code of the departing airport and click on search. A list of the DPs will come up. Decide on one and either print it or write down all of the waypoints.

Then do a google search on the name of the waypoint (ex. JUMAR waypoint). Fallingrain.com has an extensive library of these waypoints giving the long/lat, etc.

You can do the same for the STAR at the destination airport as well.

Now you can use a program such as PlanG and enter the waypoints in a flight plan that can be imported into FSX.

It does take a considerable amount of time to ge things set up for a flight but if you want to go to the trouble it is worth it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bill Mattson

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time.

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

how do you fly sid/stars in a 737-200 and DC-9?

by the way do small business aircraft like Cessna 340 required to fly sids/stars?

If dispatch and/or ATC requires you to do it, yes.

Take a close look at the approach plates. Those procedures that apply to your aircraft (not all do, that is why there are multiple "versions" of them) will have the necessary information. If your plane is not RNAV equipped, you cannot fly an RNAV based procedure, obviously. So there probably is a version where there are references to VORs and NDBs in the region, with directions and bearings. You then need to fly by these. There is a video out from frooglesim where he drives a DC-9 from Gatwick to Amsterdam doing exactly this. There both versions are covered, one that doesn't require RNAV and the other using dead reckoning relative to a VOR to stay on an RNAV STAR.

I do that with Carenado B200/C550, but I don't get the altitude constraints with GPS equipment there is. How do you get that? I am so far "eye balling" the descend profile.

As I wrote, you don't, FS flightplans don't care about alt constraints. But you could use an FMC addon to do it (ISG?). Should be in keeping with the aircraft though, fitting that one into a DC-9 might not be too realistic...

As I wrote, you don't, FS flightplans don't care about alt constraints. But you could use an FMC addon to do it (ISG?). Should be in keeping with the aircraft though, fitting that one into a DC-9 might not be too realistic...

I don't want an FMS for that reason, I want to know how people fly a B200 (and analogue tech planes) in the sim with no FMS and not following up to FSX ATC which is crazy. Will watch the videos referred by nuitkati. Any other videos with analogue aircraft procedures, please mention.

Soon JustFlight will release a new DC-10, this one will have to be my regular FSX ride along with PMDG aircraft, I gotta start learning the analogue business to be ready by the release date.

I don't want an FMS for that reason, I want to know how people fly a B200 (and analogue tech planes) in the sim with no FMS and not following up to FSX ATC which is crazy. Will watch the videos referred by nuitkati. Any other videos with analogue aircraft procedures, please mention.

Soon JustFlight will release a new DC-10, this one will have to be my regular FSX ride along with PMDG aircraft, I gotta start learning the analogue business to be ready by the release date.

Generally, you navigate using the VORs that define your route. Pretty much any instrument flight manual will explain things. The FAA has a number of free manuals here: http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/ . Between the handbooks there and visit to you local pilot shop (or Sporty's) to grab an instrument flight training book (there are a number) you're on your way.

If you dont want to do the 'glass cockpit'

My fault I wasn't clear, I meant - I don't want an FMS added to a B200 :-)

Otherwise I like stuff like PMDG/Airbus-X.

I do know how to manually fly the VORs and NDBs for a long time now, but I don't know how to descend, approach an airport and land a 737-200 (I do it the dirty way thus far).

Yes it is a lot of work, as you said, especially with Cptainsim 732 with no VS hold or airspeed hold commands. I distract my attention for 4 seconds to tune the VOR radio on climb out, look back on the panel and see my vertical speed went from +1700 to -1200.

The ITVV DVD about a flight with a Debonair BAe 146-200 from Luton to Ciampino and back is pretty good in that respect. The flight was around 1998, so not too far back, but procedures are based completely on navaids. The time factor is one of the reasons why pilots rehearse the procedure before departure and arrival and set up everything beforehand using all the nav equipment at their disposal.

My fault I wasn't clear, I meant - I don't want an FMS added to a B200 :-)

Otherwise I like stuff like PMDG/Airbus-X.

I do know how to manually fly the VORs and NDBs for a long time now, but I don't know how to descend, approach an airport and land a 737-200 (I do it the dirty way thus far).

Yes it is a lot of work, as you said, especially with Cptainsim 732 with no VS hold or airspeed hold commands. I distract my attention for 4 seconds to tune the VOR radio on climb out, look back on the panel and see my vertical speed went from +1700 to -1200.

Trimming or controller problems? A correctly trimmed aircraft won't change it's attitude (at least not so quickly)

I watched frooglesim DC-9 videos, I understand the concept, it will take me a while to get used to using jeppesen etc maps but we still have a greater problem unsolved: how do I manage the descend, where do I start? I know I need about 80-100 miles to descend from 35000 at 1800-2000 fpm but that's not the way to do it. How is it done? Any videos please?

I watched frooglesim DC-9 videos, I understand the concept, it will take me a while to get used to using jeppesen etc maps but we still have a greater problem unsolved: how do I manage the descend, where do I start? I know I need about 80-100 miles to descend from 35000 at 1800-2000 fpm but that's not the way to do it. How is it done? Any videos please?

TOD should be included in the flightplan you get from your dispatcher. It is basically done just like you describe. Set a comfortable rate of descent that saves the most fuel and doesn't upset the passengers, then calculate backwards from the first altitude and speed(!) constraint of the STAR. When you reach this point, you ask ATC for descent. In RW the pilots do not wait until ATC tells them to leave cruising altitude - in fact ATC does not even know where the TOD for every aircraft might be. The pilots themselves request descent at the appropriate time. In FSX you need to ask for a lower cruising altitude to keep on your intended vertical profile. If you really are into SIDs and STARs, you should start looking at the ATC addons to FSX that handle these better than default ATC. And maybe have a look at Aivlasoft EFB, plus get yourself a really good flightplanning software that is capable of doing fuel, TOC and TOD calculations.

Flying FMS equipped aircraft like NGX, I request ATC for lower altitudes just as you said, then ignore its heading "guidelines" until ATC tells me the landing runway which I alter for what I need.

As for the planning software, yes I need the one that would tell me the TOD and the altitudes for the waypoints on climb/descend paths. Presently I use FSCommander 9.6 which has no altitudes (assigned to waypoints), making flying analogue and executive airplanes a pain. What planner is there which would have the altitudes for me? Will buy it whatever it is. The new DC-10 is coming and I gotta start preparing myself... Actually going to start practicing with a CS Tristar but I need a proper planner.

Aivlasoft EFB does this, and it does it live too. The moment you change the route, new TOD will be set. It helps a lot when flying the procedures, as it's charts are a representation of the FSX data. You could always pretend you brought your EFB along in the DC-9, it is 2015 after all. I have it running on a networked 2nd computer on a smaller side monitor,

PFPX+Topcat is the most advanced planning software. But be prepared for yet another learning curve.

Basically, when flying airliners, modern or vintage, you need two simulators. Apart from the obvious flightsim, you require an airline dispatch sim, where you do all the planning. Pilots are only the drivers, they get told the when, how and where by their dispatcher.

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/rule-of-thumb/14_Top_of_Descent_Distance_Calculation.html

• 1 month later...
how do you fly sid/stars in a 737-200 and DC-9?

by the way do small business aircraft like Cessna 340 required to fly sids/stars?

Yes...ALL aircraft flying IFR fly the same SIDS and STARS. There is only one published SID and STAR for a given airport and ALL aircraft, regardless of size, must use those same SIDS and STARS when flying IFR.

They may have different crossing restrictions, also there are some airports that have procedures that are different based on type of power plant. ATC doesn't want a Cessna 340 clogging up the works on a turbojet only STAR.

RW pilots normally don't have to request a descent. Only time this happens is when the controller forgets or gets heavily task saturated. On a STAR, ATC would normally give you the instruction to cross a certain waypoint or fix at x thousand feet (or flight level) sometimes at a certain speed. Then it's up to the pilots when they want to start their descent.

The newest thing out now is STARs that have altitude restrictions that have a margin or range of altitude you cross at for multiple waypoints. Example is cross XXXXX between FL230 and FL190. I've been told by an ATC guy that this was to alleviate controller workload, but the clearance given to pilots would be "descend via the (name of STAR)." Then it would be up to the pilots to comply with all the restrictions on the STAR including the speed and altitude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived