Overclocking CPU for Prepar3D

Hi All,

The following is my PC configuration:

AMD Phenom II X4(quad core) 955 Black Edition OC'ed to 3.9 GHz

6GB DDR3 1333 MHz

Zotac Nvidia GTX750Ti

1 TB Seagate HDD

Even though I have been able to OC my processor to 3.9 GHz, I am still getting around 5-6 fps in PMDG 737 NGX on the ground and around 10-12 fps while on air.

I have read posts saying that overclocking the CPU helps in Prepar3D and FSX fps gain, but I was not able to achieve it even after overclocking.

I am planning to go for a new system, but I would really appreciate if someone can point out the bottlenecks in my system so that I can go ahead and plan accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Arghya

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will I5 4690k do the trick? Also after the upgrade how much fps am I gonna get?

The 4690K should be fine. It's hard to say what your FPS will be - it's dependent a great deal on scenery, configuration, screen size and GPU (above a certain screen size). FWIW I have a 4770K at 4.0Ghz and I average in the 20s. With FSDT LAX it dips into the low teens with QW757 and PMDG 737NGX but it's quite playable - at 2560x1440.

Also I would like to know if the GPU is enough for Prepar3d.

Does it have at least 2GB of VRAM?

Cheers!

Luke

Hi,

My screen resolution is at 1920 1080p.

The GPU is 2GB DDR5 and I have the following scenery addons

ORBX FTX GLOBAL+VECTOR

FLY TAMPA DUBAI

LH SIMULATIONS LHBP

REX 4 TEXTURE DIRECT

OPUS FSI WEATHER ENGINE

So if I go for an i5 or i7 can I expect smooth gameplay without the stutters?

Best,

Arghya

Hi,

My screen resolution is at 1920 1080p.

The GPU is 2GB DDR5 and I have the following scenery addons

ORBX FTX GLOBAL+VECTOR

FLY TAMPA DUBAI

LH SIMULATIONS LHBP

REX 4 TEXTURE DIRECT

OPUS FSI WEATHER ENGINE

So if I go for an i5 or i7 can I expect smooth gameplay without the stutters?

Best,

Arghya

Probably if your Intel processor clock speed is over 4.0. But with all those addons, you're really pushing the limits. You might have to back your sliders off some. LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go ahead and get a decent processor an i5 or i7.

For decent over clocking to 4.0Ghz would you recommend a Z87 chipset? I read in some posts that Z87 chipset offers good overclocking.

Please suggest?

Best,

Arghya

Hi arghya052,

I would suggest going with a Z97 chipset instead since you're picking up either an i5 or i7 CPU.

But, truth be told, the Z97 is just a slight incremental upgrade from the Z87. The only thing, really, that the Z97 brings to the table is PCI-E M.2 support - a new physical connection for things like M.2 SSDs, which are significantly smaller than "standard" SSDs. And that is only if the motherboard supports it.

You can probably overclock on either chipset equally.

I *think* I remember (please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong) that with some Z87 motherboards, you might have to do a BIOS flash in order to support the newer (Devil's Canyon) i5's and i7.

So, if prices are close between chipsets, why not go with the newer one?

IF you are considering overclocking - PLEASE read as much about it BEFORE you try.

A few key words here:

HEAT

HEAT

HEAT

You must be able to adequately keep your CPU and other components within range...

Hope this helps,

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

Before choosing a CPU you need to have a good idea what your system will or wont be doing, is it a general gaming rig, is it just a sim rig, is it a home PC and sim rig etc., also having a idea of what other software are you wanting to use helps determine what CPU best suites your build.

I agree with E-Buzz, that if you can go for the newest motherboard you can as this helps with future proofing your system, and with any overclocking heat is the killer so make sure your rig has a good CPU cooler and the case has good airflow.

Intel as a rule runs cooler than AMD CPUs so you have a performance gain there with Intel.

If your rig is mainly for FSX and some basic home PC stuff ( surfing the net etc. ) then chase the Ghz when looking for a CPU.

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Hi,

I mostly use my system for flight sim. So my plan is to build such a rig which can offer "smooth, stutter free" sim play. And apart from that I might use it for some basic surfing, downloading and stuffs which I think any configuration can handle.

Regarding overclocking, can you suggest a good overclocking guide for Intel CPU?

And also please suggest good cooling options that I can go for?

Best,

Arghya

With what you describe as what you will be using your rig for, I would consider a i5 over a i7 simply because the gains you would get out of a i7 over the i5 is so small if any that you would be better off spending your money you save with getting a i5 on a better GPU than what you budgeted for.

Because FSX is so CPU dependent you need to chase the Ghz and the cache size when looking at what i5 is the best fit for your budget.

The last generation and the new generation of Intel's run quite cool when over clocked. I have heard you can run the stock cooler even when over clocking them but if it was me I would rather be safe than sorry and buy a aftermarket cooler. I don't think you would see any gain with a water cooler so something like a arctic cooler would do the job, again you don't need to go overboard. Just make sure your motherboard supports it and your PSU is banging out enough power for the extra loads you will be needing.

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Hi,

Regarding the cooling options, I found this cabinet which suits my budget.

Cooler Master N300 KKN1 Cabinet

Specifications:

Cooler Master N300 Cabinet is a mid-tower designed for finest cooling. To keep constant cooling, the front panel is fully covered by mesh. The SickleFlow fans helps in generating extremely high airflow with silent and long-time operation. If you prefer liquid cooling solutions, installing 240mm or 120mm radiators in N300 won't be a problem at all. The 240mm radiator can be installed at the top or on the right side, and the 120mm one - in the rear. Additionally, N300 supports up to 8 HDDs and high-end graphics cards up to 320mm / 12.6 inch, including NVIDIA GTX 690 & AMD HD 7990 for a plenty of expansion.

Cooler Master N300 Cabinet supports 240mm liquid cooling radiator or two 120mm fans on the right side / at the top and a 120mm liquid cooling radiator in the rear. It has a dust filter under the PSU for easy maintenance. The accessible power switch button with blue LED gets illuminated when the power is on. You get a super speed of USB 3.0 Support. It includes two SickleFlow 120mm fans arranged for optimum airflow in the front and rear with support for up to 8 fans. You can install one optional 120/140mm fan on the left side panel to cool the graphics cards.

Will it be enough?

Best,

Arghya

Yep ideal, having good airflow in and out is very important. I always tend to go for cabinets that have the PSU mounted on the bottom, I just think that it looks tidier and keeps it as far as possible away from the CPU as possible so any radiated heat is not so much a issue.

The fact its got plenty of room for expansion is always a plus too. I doubt you will need extra fans but again its good to have various fan mounting places should you find that you need a bit of extra airflow.

Thanks to all of you for the replies.

I will go ahead and get the upgrades done and post my Prepar3D/FSX performance here. It might take me some time to save the money necessary for such an upgrade.

Best,

Arghya

Hi arghya052,

There are many guides on-line for overclocking. Here are a couple of websites that I've used for advice:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/491697-New-Member-Welcome-Mat-!

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

And here is something from Intel, although this seems aimed at the new 5000 series models:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html

There are many other guides out there and all have various nuggets of advice.

There are also software programs out there that can help you overclock fairly easily.

Just be aware, if you've never overclocked before, you can do bad (and costly) things if you're not careful, not prepared, and don't know what you're doing. Now I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to make you aware.

If you're still considering overclocking, for intel CPUs, get the "K" model (example: i7 4790K). If the CPU model doesn't have the "K," the processor is "locked," meaning it is more difficult to overclock.

Also, the right kind of motherboard WILL play a huge role in a successful overclock. I prefer Asus boards, but other companies have great overclocking-friendly boards as well. Do your due diligence (research and prep) to understand your choices.

I've overclocked just about every computer I've built (I've even managed to overclock a "store-bought" [from Best-Buy, no less!] computer with a locked processor successfully. If you can, try to avoid these!) and have not yet fried one - knock on wood!

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Good luck,

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am almost done with saving up the fund for doing the upgrade. But I am running short of money for buying a Z97 motherboard. It's exceeding my budget. So I was thinking whether I can go for the i5 4690K and a H97 chipset motherboard. With H97 chipset, I understand that I won't be able to overclock. But the i5 has a turbo clock of 3.8GHz. So how much performance degradation can I expect between this 3.8GHz turbo and 4.0Ghz(OC).

Will I be able to play P3D or FSX with little or no stutters with the i5 4690K at stock speed?

If possible can anyone having a similar configuration post a link to a gameplay video so that I can fully understand what I can expect.

Best,

Arghya

Hi All,

The following is my PC configuration:

AMD Phenom II X4(quad core) 955 Black Edition OC'ed to 3.9 GHz

6GB DDR3 1333 MHz

Zotac Nvidia GTX750Ti

1 TB Seagate HDD

Even though I have been able to OC my processor to 3.9 GHz, I am still getting around 5-6 fps in PMDG 737 NGX on the ground and around 10-12 fps while on air.

I have read posts saying that overclocking the CPU helps in Prepar3D and FSX fps gain, but I was not able to achieve it even after overclocking.

I am planning to go for a new system, but I would really appreciate if someone can point out the bottlenecks in my system so that I can go ahead and plan accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Arghya

Hi, actually, your current system is not so bad as to warrant such low FPS. This sounds more like a configuration / tweaking issue. What settings are you running FSX on and what tweaking did you do? And was it always that bad, or did the FPS go down massively at some point (installed a new addon or NVIDIA driver update?). Is your CPU load split evenly over the 4 cores or is one of them bogged down while the others idle?

Stutters are most likely caused by your HDD. Did you de-fragment it recently?

If you want, you can post your FSX.CFG here and a screenshot of the NVI profile you use for FSX. So we can take a look if something obvious is askew.

Before you shell out money for the new hardware: what you describe is by and large in the same ballpark like what you got now. I wouldn't get my hopes up. Smooth and stutter free is entirely dependant on your settings - you can kill any system if you aim too high. If you want visuals like in the utube videos, you won't get those when on a budget. Let's do some crude math: if the i5 is benchmarked 2 times as powerful than your current Phenom X4 let's just assume it would double your FPS (it won't!). Then you would run at 12 FPS - not nearly enough. And this math doesn't hold up anyway, because the benchmarks do not represent the actual FLOPS performance of a single core, which is the most important thing for FSX.

See this site for comparison of the two CPUs. Most important the results of "Sandra", specifically everything "Floating point", "Whetstone" and "MFLOPS". These two CPUs are closer to each other than one might think... And don't forget your AMD is overclocked, it would score even higher.

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs. I haven't applied any tweaks to my prepar3D.cfg file as I have read that those tweaks are no longer required for prepar3d as LM has handled most of them.

Also I didn't make any changes to the Nvidia profile it's just the default. I will definitely share the screenshot and configuration file over this weekend for your analysis.

Regarding the CPU utilization, I will need to check it once and revert back.

Do you think de-fragmenting the HDD might help in this case? Should I go ahead with it?

And was it always that bad, or did the FPS go down massively at some point (installed a new addon or NVIDIA driver update?)

It was always bad. With default aircrafts I can get a bit more fps. But with the NGX I am getting really low around 5-6 fps on the ground.

Best,

Arghya

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs. I haven't applied any tweaks to my prepar3D.cfg file as I have read that those tweaks are no longer required for prepar3d as LM has handled most of them.

Also I didn't make any changes to the Nvidia profile it's just the default. I will definitely share the screenshot and configuration file over this weekend for your analysis.

Regarding the CPU utilization, I will need to check it once and revert back.

Do you think de-fragmenting the HDD might help in this case? Should I go ahead with it?

It was always bad. With default aircrafts I can get a bit more fps. But with the NGX I am getting really low around 5-6 fps on the ground.

Best,

Arghya

Ah, yes, sorry. It wasn't about FSX at all but P3D, that got mixed up somewhere.

But I find this highly unusual. There is something amiss here, that is not the hardware. Especially on default your system should do fine. Please share the settings you are running P3D on, I suspect you have one of the real FPS killers activated somewhere (like ground scenery shadows or cloud shadows, too much AA, ??). Maybe ask for successful AMD setups in the P3D forum(s). And be aware that there actually is a profile for P3D in the NVidia driver, but that one is for Version 1.4. I think there is nothing wrong in setting up your own profile, following suggestions from owners of the same GTX750ti card (again, P3D forums, either the one at LM or on AVsim)

I think you should make sure that the low performance is not the result of a poor configuration - or else you pay money and gain nothing from it. The best course of action would actually be to uninstall everything and start over fresh with P3D (2.4 preferred as 2.5 seems to have some OOM problems). Then, on a vanilla install of P3D, research the settings that max out your performance. On default everything, you should be seeing +30fps with 3.9 GHz and a 750ti.

Hi,

Just wanted to share something regarding my MoBo CPU socket it's AM3+. However by default the Phenom II has AM3 socket. So my system is running in AM3+ socket rather than AM3. Can that make a difference in CPU performance?

Best,

Arghya

Hi,

Just wanted to share something regarding my MoBo CPU socket it's AM3+. However by default the Phenom II has AM3 socket. So my system is running in AM3+ socket rather than AM3. Can that make a difference in CPU performance?

Best,

Arghya

Unfortunately I'm no AMD expert. But if a CPU/Mobo incompatibility were the case, then all your programs should be slow. 6 FPS is but a fraction of what should be possible, so if something that basic were amiss, you should see a massive impact in all your software - and in Windows too.

What does the Windows Experience Index have to say about your system?

You could try a benchmarking tool too, like Everest or Sandra and check it out (free/trial versions would suffice, you only want to do this once).

Hi,

I will try and share all the artifacts(Windows experience, Novabench benchmark and the config files) by tonight. If not, I will definitely share it by this weekend.

Thanks a lot for your time and patience. I really appreciate it.

Best,

Arghya

Hi,

PFB my prepar3d config file.

[Display]

ChangeTime=4.000000

TransitionTime=4.000000

ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64

NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64

InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0