Newby Wants To Fly Through Grand Canyon

greenemup

I just retired from the airlines. Before that I was a USAF pilot. I once flew an A-7D through the Grand Canyon. (Anyone doing it today I would get thrown in the federal penitentiary.) I want to try and replicate that flight. I know little about Flight Sim and the information available on line overwhelms me. Would an experienced Flight Sim user be kind enough to baby step me through the process of re-visiting that long ago experience? Thanks. I'm running Windows 8 on a PC.

I have done it, even though the Grand Canyon in FSX is not as wide as in 'real' life. You can modify an airplane to fly fast by changing it's FDEs (flight dynamics / edit's). Here is a video I made in 2014. I can help you with some tips that will make it easier. In the video you will notice I have a window (press '[' to open, the choose 'outside/top down' view). This 'radar' will help you 'find' the sharp curved part so you can plan ahead a bit.

The ac is a Boulton Paul P.111, by Kaz Ito, Modified (for FSX) to fly 650 kts+. Start Grand Canyon West (1G4) then East to Page (KPGA). Piece of cake (after a few practice runs, of course). Link:

We can get together via email. I don't have a fast enough DSL to fly online, so that is out. I'll PM you my email. Go For It!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Nice aircraft from that download! Takeoff was from the Flagstaff, Az. airport.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]181019[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]181020[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]181021[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]181022[/ATTACH]

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

>>Can I assume your flightsim is FSX?

That question reminds me of what a squadron commander once told me, "Lieutenant, let me explain to you what assume means!" I have endeavored not to assume anything since having that conversation. No. I do not have FSX, nor anything else yet. No stick or other hardware. Should I start with buying FSX?

Before that I was a USAF pilot. I once flew an A-7D through the Grand Canyon.

Thank you for your service, Sir!

Just goes to show, you learn something new everyday, if you're not careful...I never knew the Zoomies even had Great Whites. At least that's what we called them. Let's face it, they did have a nasty habit of eating people. The airplane, not the Zoomies, that is, although sometimes... Sorry, it's y smart-alek coming out again. They always told us in the Flight Deck Briefings that if you felt yourself getting sucked in, throw in anything useless, your cranial, flashlight, tool bag, a bosuns mate..anything! :D

Come to think, though, the Zoomies always did have the best looking enlisted girls, and chow-halls. I know they did at Clark, anyway. Osan was pretty good in the chow hall department, too. Almost got hitched to a blonde MP there too. My wife would have killed me...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

IMHO the Grand Canyon would be one of the few places photoreal "fits". I think Blue Sky Scenery has some free photoreal for the area. If not you can make your own with SBuilderX. I did that for the Black Rock Desert earlier in the year, kept me entertained for weeks (mostly checking out pics of the ladies attending the Burning Man festival admittedly).

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/black_rock01.jpg

I just retired from the airlines. Before that I was a USAF pilot. I once flew an A-7D through the Grand Canyon. (Anyone doing it today I would get thrown in the federal penitentiary.)

I certainly can relate to that!! There's no way I could have been successful in the Marine Corps during peace time! I/most of us, picked up too many bad habits during Vietnam.

It's tough to threaten anyone with anything worse than spending every other year getting shot at. They sure didn't want to ground you! That would slow down the training process and keep you and probably others in the states too long. So they just threatened us & pretty much let us be.

However, I bet when the war was over a lot of C.O.s had long memories! And I'll bet they finally got even with a lot of people too!! :mad: So glad I wasn't one of those who had to live through the payback!! :p

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

>>Can I assume your flightsim is FSX?

... No. I do not have FSX, nor anything else yet. No stick or other hardware. Should I start with buying FSX?

My personal recommendation, provided you have a DX11 capable machine, is to get Prepared (P3D), as it generally is smoother in its operation, allowing more eye candy for a given performance level (or the converse, of course). I'd also suggest, since you want to do low level stuff, that you also get TrackIR, which allows you to look around smoothly within the sim, hands off, improving realism.

And there are several HOTAS style units around. I use (and love) the Thrustmaster Warthog, but many are happy with a Saitek or CH unit, as well. Some sort of pedals would be nice, too, though I've not come across any I'd count as great (PFC might be, but I've never seen them, and they're expensive).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Reminder: if anybody needs a quick flying fix while away from your main computer and FSX, make sure the boss is not looking then go into Google Earth>Tools>Flight Simulator and you're laughing, here's a shot of it flying down the Grand Canyon-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos%20Three/GE-fsim_zpsckkksbyh.jpg~original

Archived