FSX Steam Problems

stusue

So I bought and installed FSX steam. Was very excited about the whole thing...... Once it was loaded I went to start the simulator and it was nothing but trouble. I get all kinds of scenery.config file error warnings. So i went and painstakingly uninstalled original fsx and all the various adjoining files and folders throughout my computer as per steam instructions. When i got to create a flight menu the box where the airplane should show is completely black with nothing in it even though i still have list of airplanes on the left. If I select an airplane I get guage permission request. in spite of this i try to press load flight and the flight starts to load. Once it gets to 100 percent the whole thing freezes.

Any recommnedations ??????????

I'm running an intel core 2 quad q8300 with 6 gigs of ram with at ati radon 5700

BTW would this system run prepar3d v2 ????

Thank u all in advance.

My system

MSI GE75 Raider

Intel Core i7 10750H CPU 32 GB Ram

2T SSD HD Geforce RTX 2080 Super

That's why I have bought fsx steam (on a discount a few weeks ago) but I have not install it yet. I don't wanna mess up my legacy fsx as it's working and looking better than ever in dx10 (except near big airports of course, framerates suck there, nothing can be done... ). When I'd have to reinstall everything eventually I'll use my purchased steam edition, but not before.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I can hopefully help you with a bit of your issues. The gauge permissions requests are a one time "approval" for each of the many gauges it will prompt you about. But as you ok each one, it keeps track of those in a list (in the fsx.cfg file??) and you won't need to do this unless you fly a different aircraft that it hasn't got that gauge on the approved list. In other words, just bear with it and click ok, that's a normal thing that will disappear in time.

I think there may be some issues left in the registry having had the original installed already. I have not had this issue myself having never had the original but I have read a lot about those that have both versions do encounter some problems. I'm sure somebody else will be on here shortly to guide you on that uninstall if that is the problem.

As far as the freezing, that could be due to a number of reasons. But, I have had my FSX-SE freeze at various times too, not at the same point you are experiencing. I have discovered pressing ctrl - alt - del like I was going to start task manager, but then hit cancel and return back to the sim, seems to jump start it again. I have no clue why or how that works but it does. I would be curious to know if that might work for you. What do you do now when it freezes?

I just did the conversion from a dual install to Steam only and it is complicated. I found a "how to uninstall FSX" document from PMDG that helped. Basically, after you use the usual uninstall procedures, you need to delete EVERY folder that had FSX or FSX-SE purposes. Then reinstall FSX-SE. As previously stated, the gauge prompts are a one time deal. I would emphasis that the coversion from dual to SE is not for the inexperienced or faint of heart. It takes patience but once I had it done I couldn't be happier.

Habu

When it freezes i press control alt delete and shut the program down. i have uninstalled fsx se and i have unstalled cleaner in an attempt to clean my registries... I think thats what it does anyways.

Steam gave me a refund for fsxse. Should I try it again? or should i try prepar3d ???

My system

MSI GE75 Raider

When it freezes i press control alt delete and shut the program down. i have uninstalled fsx se and i have unstalled cleaner in an attempt to clean my registries... I think thats what it does anyways.

Steam gave me a refund for fsxse. Should I try it again? or should i try prepar3d ???

Should you try it again? YES !!! Of course we want to get you in the air and enjoying the fun that you desire. And we will get you there with a little effort. As far as going with P3D, well not having tried that myself, I don't know how to answer that, and I'm sure you will find a variety of opinions on which to choose and an endless debate will follow. That said, you have had, and flown the original FSX. If you really did like it, then lets try to get FSX Steam going once again. There are many good people in these forums that have a lot of knowledge and we will get it working.

I still think, but without having had FSX (MS version) the easiest way to go would be making sure it is gone and cleaned from your system, including registry which you have used a cleaner on. I know there are people that have been able to have both installed but I think that complicates things a bit unless you know the best ways to handle it. So starting new, it's up to you. And I, like many others don't install any version of flight sim in the program files directory. Look at that install guide il88pp has a link to. Very good information there.

And should you try it again stay close to this forum and let us guide you. Like I said, there are a lot of very good people willing to help. We WILL get you going. Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after cleaning my registry and i reinstalled fsx se and exactly the same problems.... When i load and try to create flight the box where the plane should appear is solid black and when i load flight it freezes when it gets to 100% .....

Very disappointed Any ideas or suggestion ????

My system

MSI GE75 Raider

Well after cleaning my registry and i reinstalled fsx se and exactly the same problems.... When i load and try to create flight the box where the plane should appear is solid black and when i load flight it freezes when it gets to 100% .....

The whole aircraft window is black? Sounds like an incompatible graphics driver or setting. Make sure you choose low (and correct) settings in FSX SE and whatever config tool ATI offers (Catalyst something?)

btw there are quite a few forum threads about this black window problem. Some solved it by updating graphics drivers, others had incompatible settings in fsx.cfg and dll.xml. You did remove the old FSX config files in /AppData too?

You should google around about ATI cards with FSX, they are known to have issues with each other. The general recommendation is NVidia.

What version of Windows are you running?

Will a 2.5 GHz CPU with 1GB GPU run P3D on medium to high settings, with addons? No.

The original fsx worked great on my computer. But unfortunately I've moved and lost the original cd's in the move. Will still look for them though. In the mean time I had a virus on computer and had it cleaned by a computer repair shop so something may have been lost in the process. Also had Norton antivirus installed

My system

MSI GE75 Raider

Maybe it's time for a new computer. Also I'm on windows 7. Maybe I should upgrade windows ????

Who knows... I've never had a problem running flight simulator before this.

My system

MSI GE75 Raider

Did you run the FSX:Steam Edition as Adminstrator and made sure not to install it in the default directory(folder)?

APUtech

The original fsx worked great on my computer. But unfortunately I've moved and lost the original cd's in the move. Will still look for them though. In the mean time I had a virus on computer and had it cleaned by a computer repair shop so something may have been lost in the process. Also had Norton antivirus installed

It may be best to do a clean install of Windows. Get Windows running and the drivers updated and then try installing the sim again. The virus and/or the cleaning process may have caused problems. Just make sure to back up your data first.

You can move your Steam installation using the instructions below.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

Steam also allows for multiple library locations (these can be set up through the Steam settings), so you can have the main Steam application installed in the default location, and games installed elsewhere, such as a second hard drive.

I posted a site below that has benchmarks for different CPU's. FSX needs a good machine to run correctly, with a emphasize on the CPU. I myself am using the Intel i7 4770k soon to upgrade to 4790k. FSX: steam is a very good program. If you read my blog titled "After reading a lot of forum posts..." maybe it will shed some light on the subject for you and save you some grief. Hope this helps.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Quad+Q8300+%40+2.50GHz

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Archived