Would like separate Bank-Angle button, to place in 747 VC.

il88pp

I would like to have a bank-angle selection switch in my 747vc. The only one I know of is in the default 737 autopilot. There it is the outer ring of the heading select button.

But the 737 autopilot is one single gauge, as far as I know the buttons from it can't be taken out and used seperately.

I am using keyboard shortcuts for -increase bank angle-/-decrease bank angle- at the moment.

Does anyone know of a seperate bank angle button? Thanks in advance.

il88pp.

(placing it is not the issue.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

can't find what you are referring to!:)

could you post a link? or some keywords?

was it about creating a gauge maybe, I'm starting to think along those lines, in case it's the only solution.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah yes, those were the days... :cool:

Yes, that would also work.

I have Max_Bank=16, 11, 7, 4, 2, in the aircraft.cfg file, and I can use the bank angle fine using the keys.

I seem to remember there was some issue with putting the 737 autopilot in the 747. Can't remember what exactly. But anyway, I don't really like the look of that.

My 747VC (Installed in the 737 btw.) Currently looks like this. Notice the Full/App switch and the pitot heat switch just above the PFD gauge. With option to add more. There I also want a bank-angle button now.

(Also, the AP switch works, so does the BC button, and the NAV button. The V/S button had to be sacrificed, but the Alt-Hld buttonworks just as well for that, and is still in place.)

747vc in 737 -2.jpg

So, it' works fine. But I still would like a separate switch. I won't be using it to move the Bank-Angle setting much. More to see what the bank-angle is set to and adjust accordingly with the keyboard.

Thanks for bringing up that thread. It brought back some fond memories.:)

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Alas, it does not. Neither does that hdg button. To change hdg I need to click the little window above it where the selected hdg is displayed.

It is like that also in the completely default 747_400 with only:

max_bank=18,13,7,4,2 //was 25.0

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Alas, it does not. Neither does that hdg button. To change hdg I need to click the little window above it where the selected hdg is displayed.

It is like that also in the completely default 747_400 with only:

max_bank=18,13,7,4,2 //was 25.0

Same with the one I have! Now why couldn't the Microsoft ding-dongs write the XML for the autopilot like they did for the 737? Why show an adjusting ring with settings and not have it work?? Aye Carumba!:p

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I think they had so much fun creating the gauges that ARE there, they wanted to leave some for us!

Also, maybe they saw that as a bit of a tempter, a nice first step towards someone eventually creating a complete plane with VC and all. If so, it was a complete success.;) The SDK is getting a lot of use from everyone.

If noone drops in with a gauge (can be part of an addon of course) I think I'll be creating my first one. I'm thinking along two paths. Either a switch with 5 positions, or a digital readout that just shows the set max-bank angle, with possibly clickspots left and right.

But the temp will have to drop conciderably here before I continue along that path. It's just to hot outside to sit at the pc for a long time. :cool:

yours,

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If no one drops in with a gauge (can be part of an addon of course) I think I'll be creating my first one. But the temp will have to drop considerably here before I continue along that path. It's just to hot outside to sit at the pc for a long time. :cool:

yours,

il

Good luck with your gauge! Cold, foggy and overcast with chances of thunderstorms most of the week here. The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco!:rolleyes:

I messed around with this for grins since I haven't played with gauges in a while, I swiped the code out of the default 737-800 autopilot and bits & pieces of the bitmaps. It's ugly but it does work to change the bank angle. You could pretty up the .bmps a little and make them match the 747 panel better if you wanted to. As you already know looking at your other post you need to enable selectable bank angle in the [autopilot] section of the acft.cfg:

[autopilot]

max_bank=30,20,10

It goes in the panel.cfg like this:

gauge00=bank_angle!bank_angle, X,X,46,36

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/bank_angle.CAB

Blazing hot here in beautiful N. Idaho too for the past few days but some relief today and yesterday thankfully. I haven't seen 100+ for 5 years but we had it several days in a row last week. Quite a shock just coming off 5 years of abnormally cool & wet summers. Just about right for the moment but I worry about the two months we've got to go before it starts raining again. You could get a fire going out here in the woods by smacking two rocks together I think, it's already so dry it feels like you're walking around on potato chips!

Jim

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco!

Yep! I spent 18 years near the city, and I sure miss the weather...

Too bad Woodside lots are over $1 Million now. 1/4 acre, no services, bare dirt lot. Too bad, I loved the place growing up.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Yep! I spent 18 years near the city, and I sure miss the weather...

Pat☺

Oh Yeah! I really miss wearing a coat and sweater while watching baseball at Candlestick in July! I also missed my last cavity when it was filled.

No wonder you freaked out when you were stationed in Yuma!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Oh Yeah! I really miss wearing a coat and sweater while watching baseball at Candlestick in July! I also missed my last cavity when it was filled.

Windystick park is now flatter than a pancake!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]180996[/ATTACH]

Thanks Jim Robinson.

I had already started, and that is very different from what I had in mind.

I was thinking:

>> 5 slightly different images, each one showing the knob in a different position.

>> pressing the clickspot swiches one image to the next.

making it seem there is a knob that moves, while there is not a seperate knob really.

This looks neater, but since I spent some time on this already I would like to try and finish what I have so far. Do you think it's a viable idea, or do you see an immetiate issue with it?

------------

I had been looking at code here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fsx-xml-gauge-for-sounding-a-horn.51023/

And thought to use something similar, but with more images than this and assigning elevator trim instead of Gear/Horn.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can disregard that question if you want Jim.

The more I look at it the more I realise how little of this I know.

I have more questions then you would want to answer. Most of them I should really look up myself anyway. I will be working through the steps in the sdk tutorial first. Creating the tutorial gauges.

I'll also use your gauge and try it out. maybe change the backgroung image and the initial direction of the (arrow on) the knob.

So, much to do. Thanks for this gauge again. I uncabbed it and will slowly work my way through your xml eventually. If I have questions after I'll ask again.

Untill then, il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not the one to ask I'm afraid, I was into this stuff in 2007 or so and then I lost most of it when a hard drive shelled out a year or so later and I never really got back into it. Here's a flap lever I tried to make once, to be honest I don't remember if it ever worked, I think it switched the .bmps OK but the .bmps sucked, lol:

(A:Flaps handle index,number)

...so maybe:

(A:AUTOPILOT MAX BANK,degrees)

Where you'd have your [autopilot] set up like max_bank=30,20,15,10,5?

Damifino...! :)

Thank you! I need to switch off for a bit, but I will try later.

I realise now i would have to change the gauge again if I ever want to choose different bank angles! So what I thought initially, is not the most practical solution. I would need a different xml for each aircraft that I use it in too. (the images have no numbers on them, so they could be used in all aircraft).

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good luck with your gauge! Cold, foggy and overcast with chances of thunderstorms most of the week here. The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco!:rolleyes:

If you get too cold, you could always take a drive to SJC for a little plane-spotting. I hear the former location of the San Jose State aviation dept is a good spot, near the threshold of 30L. I spent many unairconditioned nights in the dorms at SJSU!

Of course I couldn't leave that one alone! :) Anyway this works with max_bank=30,20,15,10,5

(A:AUTOPILOT MAX BANK,degrees)

Here's the .cab again (same link, same file, now contains both gauges and .bmps)

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/bank_angle.CAB

Now it seems I'm at 20,000' and 165 nm away from where I took off to test out this gauge! Gotta go see if I can find my way back! :)

Gotcha!

I will look into the why and how later. I've seen ace.exe and cabdir.exe and managed to get what you made working. Did not create manage that by myself before you posted.

For now, with this I can create it with my own images.:), thank you. (thanks a million!).

I'll look at it in more detail later.

il88pp

Oh yeah, and land safe;)

yeeeharrrrrr!!.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windystick park is now flatter than a pancake!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]180996[/ATTACH]

WOW! I thought it was ugly before. They've outdone themselves! Maybe a great place to enlarge the park?

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

ACK!!

So sad to see such an iconic landmark go away. Some good times there...

What's next? The Cow Palace? The TransAmerica? They gonna level Nob Hill to make more "reclaimed" land?

I tell you this, they try this with The Old Woodside Store they will have a physical, actual battle on their hands! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodside,_California

l.jpg

o.jpg

yaco-woodsidestore_smaller_0.jpg

!/4 mile down Tripp Rd. from my boyhood home. Made a great bus stop for when it was raining. That wrap-around, covered, patio was sure nice.

Sad to see. I know they do this stuff in Vegas all the time, but NOT San Francisco! Sheesh.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Jim, I wanted to show you one I made using your code and my images.

The Original images I had created were not practical. they had a lot of black, whick would of course become transparent.

I made several versions with your images. One with a switch only using a black (transparent) background image.

One with your background image, but the numbers blanked out pixel by pixel manually. Your switch used as well.

Then all the images rotated 90 degree to the right. So it is a vertical switch, five positions, that you can turn right for 30 degrees bank and left to 5 degrees bank.

But then I decided to start fresh and create images for a new one. This time a horizontal, flat, bar-model indicator, with clickspots.

It turned out great. I can read out the bank-angle setting very well, even when fully zoomed out in VC (using default zoom settings). Even though it is just a tiny gauge stuck in there just above the PFD.

Here's two shots fully zoomed out in VC.

The first at full screen, using Snapper. The second taken with windows snipping tool in windowed mode.

Hope you can spot it after upload, it looks great on screen here.

(Oh I changed the bank angles to mine of course. I use 2,4,7,14,22 in the aircraft.cfg and the .xml file.)

Thanks mate, you made me a happy chappy! Got me perked right up!

flat model.jpg

flat closeup.JPG

flat.JPG

flat2.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived