fs9 can oly access 300MB of memory?!

shishkabab

Whenever I load fs9 and load the pmdg 747, I get an out of memory error, even though fs9 only took up 300mb of memory according to taskmanager. I thought fs9 could take up to 3GB of memory. How could this be?

RAM= 16GB

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this only happens with the pmdg 747

It seems to me that you might be missing a .dll file that won't allow the PMDG 747 to load properly, shutting FS9 down.

Hopefully others will chime in...

Alan :confused:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On the PMDG forums there is a thread which details exactly what runtimes are needed. You can do a search for it but here is an extract I copied from it a while ago:

Microsoft DirectX runtimes full installer:

http://www.microsoft...lang=en&id=8109

Extract to a temporary folder such as "DXTemp" on your desktop and then run the "DXSETUP.exe" file contained in the folder.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 runtimes:

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5638

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 runtimes:

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5582

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 runtimes:

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8328

Those cover all the prerequisite files needed across our whole product line.

I recommend a uninstal of the 747 and a reinstall after you have updated the runtimes.

I don't have any virtual memory.

Yes you do, every computer does.

Try following my advice regarding the runtimes, as they are clearly the cause of your problems.

As a side note I see you have installed FS9 in C/program files( x86). This is not actually recommended so I suggest you turn off windows UAC when you do any installing.

Also the links are dead? (this page cannot be displayed)

Program files even on an x64 windows?

If the links are dead you could try a google search for the required files.

Best advice is to install Fs9 out side of program files folder on windows vista/7. I have no experience of windows 8 but imaging it is the same.

I think I solved it

It's probably because the pmdg aircraft for fs9 can't support my 3840x2160 screen resolution. So I resized my resolution to 2560x1440 and everything is fine.

How ever I don't get how FSFW95, FS98, and FS2000 run fine at 3840x2160

Your PC should not be running out of virtual memory at that state. That's virtually (no pun intended) nothing. The default FS install with no add ons uses like 300MB. You can change the page file size, which is ultimately the best option in my opinion. I have mine set very high, since I have a 1TB hard drive, I have the page file size set to use almost all of it, leaving about 100GB of free space. This way, you give your system almost unlimited virtual memory cause it's unlikely that FS will use nearly 900GB of memory.

-Nick. W

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dell XPS 8500 Intel i7 Quad Core Processor 3.50Ghz, 24GB ram, GeForce GTX 660ti 1.5GB GDDR5, 2TB hard drive, 24 inch LCD monitor, FSX Gold. :D

This way, you give your system almost unlimited virtual memory cause it's unlikely that FS will use nearly 900GB of memory.

FSX running on Windows7 on a 64-byte system has a maximum of 4GB of virtual memory.

FSX running on Windows7 on a 64-byte system has a maximum of 4GB of virtual memory.

That's not what I'm referring to. And the original post is in regards to FS9, not FSX. If your PC isn't accessing enough memory, you can change the page file size.

-Nick. W

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dell XPS 8500 Intel i7 Quad Core Processor 3.50Ghz, 24GB ram, GeForce GTX 660ti 1.5GB GDDR5, 2TB hard drive, 24 inch LCD monitor, FSX Gold. :D

Oh, very interesting. How do you do this?

Start > Computer > Right Click Computer > Advanced System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Advanced > Virtual Memory (Click Change) > Set the page file to Custom Size > Set the initial and maximum size to the same number > Click Set > Click Ok > Click Apply > Restart PC when prompted.

NOTE: Check your total space available and make sure not to set it to the total space. Also make sure it doesn't come close. You still need AT LEAST 100,000MB free that's not set to the page file size.

-Nick. W

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's not what I'm referring to. And the original post is in regards to FS9, not FSX. If your PC isn't accessing enough memory, you can change the page file size.

FS9, like FSX is a 32-bit application and can use a maximum of 4GB. Changing the system page file size does not increase the virtual memory. No matter matter how large the page file size FX9 and FSX cannot use more the the Windows limit of 4GB.

See "Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases" https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Capture copy.jpg

Me, I set the Page File to 1.5 RAM Size. That seems to be a good rule of thumb for any system I've ever used...

Just my 2 cp..

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

No matter matter how large the page file size FX9 and FSX cannot use more the the Windows limit of 4GB.

And without the largeaddressaware flag set, FS9 can only access 2GB of virtual address space, even on a 64 bit OS. As Gerry said, the page file has nothing to do with the amount of virtual address space available overall, or how much each application can access.

That's plenty. For most people leaving it at the default system managed setting will work just fine.

On my system with 16GB of RAM I set the page file to 4GB for min and max size to keep it from using up too much space on my SSD. This works fine on my system as it doesn't make much use of the page file. Other systems may be different depending on what you do with the computer. The best way to check is to watch the system's memory usage in the Task Manager.

Archived