Gray textures on the default Baron

bmatt569

OK, this is just weird. I'm using FS9. When I select the Baron it would load but the outside texture is just gray. I thought, what the heck and downloaded some freeware textures. I put them in the textures folder and added the .cfg s to the textures file as directed. When I started FS9 and selected the Baron the new textures were there but still just gray. Any ideas or thoughts on this. I've run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas on this one.

Bill Mattson

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time.

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

Is it strictly the default Baron that has these gray textures? Do your default aircraft have a common texture folder in them or strictly the "Livery" texture folder?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Do your default aircraft have a common texture folder in them or strictly the "Livery" texture folder?

Zip, FS9 does not use the texture fallback routine like FSX.

There are no common texture folders.

Bill,

Missing textures usually results from typos in the aircraft.cfg , things like the texture= line not exactly matching the texture folder name.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Zip, FS9 does not use the texture fallback routine like FSX.

There are no common texture folders.

peace,

the Bean

Thanks, Bean! Always the man with good info!

Guys, thanks for the suggestions. The Baron is the only AC that's gray. Now, how do I find the problem? Keep in mind that I'm a technologically challenged old guy. But, I'm willing to learn.

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Has it always been gray or did this start after you added textures to the Baron?

What textures did you add to the Baron? File name and download location?

Can you post the [fltsim.nn] sections of the aircraft.cfg?

Do any of the default paints work?

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Let me see if this works.

[fltsim.0]

title=Beech Baron 58

sim=Beech_Baron_58

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=

kb_checklists=Beech_Baron_58_check

kb_reference=Beech_Baron_58_ref

atc_id=N058BE

ui_manufacturer=Beechcraft

ui_type="Baron 58"

ui_variation="White with blue and gold"

description="With the wonderful control harmony that is the hallmark of the Bonanza line, the Beech Baron 58 is considered a classic light twin. The Baron 58 is the spiffed-up version of a time-tested favorite, made more modern by its new Continental Special engines. The Baron combines the attractiveness of Beechcraft design with the reliability of twin engines, resulting in a gorgeous workhorse of an aircraft."

[fltsim.1]

title=Beech Baron 58 - Paint 2

sim=Beech_Baron_58

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=1

atc_id=N058BF

ui_type=Baron 58

ui_variation=Blank

description=With the wonderful control harmony that is the hallmark of the Bonanza line, the Beech Baron 58 is considered a classic light twin. The Baron 58 is the spiffed-up version of a time-tested favorite, made more modern by its new Continental Special engines. The Baron combines the attractiveness of Beechcraft design with the reliability of twin engines, resulting in a gorgeous workhorse of an aircraft.

atc_airline=

atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.2]

title=Beech Baron 58 - Paint 3

sim=Beech_Baron_58

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=2

atc_id=N058BG

ui_type=Baron 58

ui_variation=Beige with Brown

description=With the wonderful control harmony that is the hallmark of the Bonanza line, the Beech Baron 58 is considered a classic light twin. The Baron 58 is the spiffed-up version of a time-tested favorite, made more modern by its new Continental Special engines. The Baron combines the attractiveness of Beechcraft design with the reliability of twin engines, resulting in a gorgeous workhorse of an aircraft.

atc_airline=

atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.3]

title=Beech Baron 58 - Paint 4

sim=Beech_Baron_58

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=3

atc_id=N058BG

ui_type=Baron 58

ui_variation=Blue with Grey Stripe

atc_airline=

atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.4]

title=Beech Baron 58 - Paint 5

sim=Beech_Baron_58

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=4

atc_id=N058BH

ui_type=Baron 58

ui_variation=White with Blue Stripes

atc_airline=

atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.5]

title=Beech Baron 58 - Paint 6

sim=Beech_Baron_58

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=5

atc_id=N058BF

ui_type=Baron 58

ui_variation=White with dark blue and grey stripes

What do you think, Bean? As Zippy says, "Always the man."

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm sure Bean will have the answer, but could it be the differences between Paint# and texture=#? Like Bean asked, do any of your default textures show correctly?

Yes, the rest of the defaults all are OK. This is the only one that's grayed out.

Bill

Actually, any of the default Baron58 textures show correctly? I was thinking maybe the Baron with the white, blue and gold since the title= has no Paint# to match with the texture=

Bean must be out of town. I still think the problem lies with the miss-match of Paint# and texture=#. Maybe some kind soul would post his pristine example of [Fltsim.0] through [Fltsim.xx] for the default Baron58. I tried searching high and low and could only come up with the FSX version, which I already have in my Sim.

There's only one default Baron paint scheme in FS9, as below:

[fltsim.0]

title=Beech Baron 58

sim=Beech_Baron_58

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=

atc_id=N058BE

ui_type="Baron 58"

description="With the wonderful control harmony that is the hallmark of the Bonanza line, the Beech Baron 58 is considered a classic light twin. The Baron 58 is the spiffed-up version of a time-tested favorite, made more modern by its new Continental Special engines. The Baron combines the attractiveness of Beechcraft design with the reliability of twin engines, resulting in a gorgeous workhorse of an aircraft."

atc_parking_codes=

atc_parking_types=RAMP

Have you checked that the titles of your additional Texture folders in the Beech Baron 58 folder are named Texture.1, Texture.2, Texture.3 and Texture.4?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks tiger1962! Then [Fltsim.1] through [Fltsim.5] are added repaints. The one that now looks odd is [Fltsim.1] , Paint2 where the ui-variation=Blank, unless that just refers to an unpainted aircraft.

Also [Fltsim.2] and [Fltsim.3] have the same atc_id=N058BG. Don't know if that will cause a problem or not?

Thanks Mr Zippy! The ATC ID shouldn't affect the textures showing or not, but two other aircraft.cfg entries will: "title=" and "texture=". Title= should be unique to each paint scheme such as: Beech Baron 58 Paint 1, and texture= should match the actual texture folder name such as: Texture.1, which would be called by the aircraft.cfg entry texture=1. The only other issue may be that the actual texture bitmaps are FSX format (DDS) instead of FS9 format (DXT), but these can be easily converted with DXTBmp by Martin Wright.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Mr Zippy! The ATC ID shouldn't affect the textures showing or not, but two other aircraft.cfg entries will: "title=" and "texture=". Title= should be unique to each paint scheme such as: Beech Baron 58 Paint 1, and texture= should match the actual texture folder name such as: Texture.1, which would be called by the aircraft.cfg entry texture=1. The only other issue may be that the actual texture bitmaps are FSX format (DDS) instead of FS9 format (DXT), but these can be easily converted with DXTBmp by Martin Wright.

Thanks for the reply back. Then my suspicions were correct from post#8 and before.

Thanks for ALL the replies. Zippy and Tiger you guys especially. Now, one more thing. Keep in mind you are talking to a VERY experienced paramedic (go ahead, ask me a question, I bet I'll know the answer), BUT, I have ZERO experience programming, looking at code, troubleshooting the same. Please look at reply #7 and see what I need to change. Also, I'm a great proponent of the K-I-S-S (keep it simple, silly) method.

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the replies, Zippy and Tiger. I REALLY appreciate it all. Now, I'm a REALLY good paramedic (go ahead ask me a question, I bet I know the answer) BUT I'm NOT a programmer, analyst, or troubleshooter of programming or code. Therefore, please look at reply #7 and make any specific suggestions as to what I need to change to get the textures to work.

As far as the textures being in the correct format, I had to delete FS9 and reload it from the original disks. It was after that that I had the problem with the textures.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Before I suggest any changes I want to be sure that in the Baron58 aircraft folder you have 6 folders for the 6 [Fltsim.xx]. A folder called texture, texture.1, texture.2, texture.3, texture.4 and texture.5. If this is good to go, then open each folder to make sure there are NO .DDS files. If this is OK then try: Changes are in RED. Paramedic, eh? Maybe you know another member on here named Fatal Priapism. (Ok, you can stop laughing now!) He's another EMT.

[fltsim.0]
title=Beech Baron 58
sim=Beech_Baron_58
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
atc_id=N058BE
ui_type="Baron 58"

[fltsim.1]
title=Beech Baron 58 - Paint [color="#FF0000"]1[/color]
sim=Beech_Baron_58
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=1
atc_id=N058BF
ui_type=Baron 58
ui_variation=Blank

atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.2]
title=Beech Baron 58 - Paint [color="#FF0000"]2[/color]
sim=Beech_Baron_58
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=2
atc_id=N058BG
ui_type=Baron 58
ui_variation=Beige with Brown

atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.3]
title=Beech Baron 58 - Paint [color="#FF0000"]3[/color]
sim=Beech_Baron_58
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=3
atc_id=N058BG
ui_type=Baron 58
ui_variation=Blue with Grey Stripe

atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.4]
title=Beech Baron 58 - Paint [color="#FF0000"]4[/color]
sim=Beech_Baron_58
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=4
atc_id=N058BH
ui_type=Baron 58
ui_variation=White with Blue Stripes

atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.5]
title=Beech Baron 58 - Paint [color="#FF0000"]5[/color]
sim=Beech_Baron_58
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=5
atc_id=N058BF
ui_type=Baron 58
ui_variation=White with dark blue and grey stripes

There's one more item that hasn't been mentioned. If the textures are okay (not .dds files) then I suspect the model file may be wrong. Don't know how that could happen, but a mismatch between the model and the textures will result in "gray" aircraft. Just one more thing to look into.

Regards,

JerryH

Archived