P3D V2.5 + Saitek Cessna pro yoke = uncontrollable at low speeds

efsenable

Hey guys,

New member here.

Bought p3d v2.5 and a Saitek Cessna pro yoke the other day.

I enjoy it thoroughly, but at low speeds, during approaches, the plane tends to be uncontrollably for me, to a point where each elevator movement (moving side to side is fine) bring the nose up and down in a steep movement..

Is there a way to alleviate this very frustrating issue ?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Peter.

I don't have a yoke, so don't know this one, but perhaps it's faulty or not set up correctly. Otherwise, perhaps you're making your inputs too large. Try very small pressure changes on the elevator, and don't forget to use your trim. Or perhaps there's a slight lag in the sim's response, causing you to overcorrect.

Perhaps someone with this yoke would have better ideas, though.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Unfortunately I've had the exact same problem, after hours of forum reading, FSUIPC tweaks, drivers, null zones the lot .. I eventually solved my problem by buying a CH Eclipse yoke -So much better in smoothness, and crucially during critical stages of flight like the flare.

I would try some scenarios (maybe you already have), where all settings would be at "minimum" or "easiest". No weather - no wind. Try some simple, straight in landings at first then add more sensitivity to the yoke each round. Also set up the yoke using FSUIPC if you have not tried that. That has worked best for me. I do not use the Saitek drivers.

While Saitek's are not the best I have used them and CH's version for several years and found them both to be pretty equal in performance at that price level. In the end, it could be something mechanical but I would exhaust all other variables first.

Happy 4th,

Clutch

Thanks for your replied -

Clutch - I did - and it flies great, until I try to land the thing, at low speeds, i cant make subtle movement with the yoke, because when I do, every slight movement in pitch, results in a really really fast nose lift, dive...

this is so frustrating :( i paid a lot for the hardware :(

Hi Mallcott, at the moment I have both yokes. I can just plug my CH Eclipse yoke straight into P3D and it's perfect in elevator sensitivity. The Saitek however is one twitchy yoke, upon near full deflection during the flare it's WAY too responsive over a very minimal range causing sudden and sometimes violent shifts in pitch, it's awful and nothing I have tried so far has helped much. Maybe this has to do with the 180 degree deflection in aileron which in comparison to the elevator, it's much slower due to it's travel), The Cessna yoke really needs a longer shaft to compensate for this.

Hey guys,

New member here.

Bought p3d v2.5 and a Saitek Cessna pro yoke the other day.

I enjoy it thoroughly, but at low speeds, during approaches, the plane tends to be uncontrollably for me, to a point where each elevator movement (moving side to side is fine) bring the nose up and down in a steep movement..

Is there a way to alleviate this very frustrating issue ?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Peter.

A question: Have you tried flying with a joystick? From your post I can't tell. Be aware that flight controls, especially the elevator change their response ratios depending on air speed across the surfaces.

I'd work real hard on my approach altitude, speed & flap settings. Check the specs for the plane you're flying first! Get all that right. Then try the null settings to balance things out if you feel it hasn't gotten you where you need to be.

Remember a very few knots change of airspeed makes a huge difference in lift on not just your elevator but your wings and fuselage as well. If you can't achieve repeatability of airspeed and altitude changes, you're chasing a moving target!

Also remember every plane tends to have more or less response on all flight controls at various speeds. I'd nail controlling my favorite plane first. Before I tried another plane. Then learn the next one.

There is a reason people get type certified on different planes. They all have seemingly similar, but very different inflight responses. I think having so many planes as options to fly from day one, truly confuses the newbie.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

There is a reason people get type certified on different planes.

True, but it's mostly to learn the systems and emergency procedures, not primarily to learn the handling, though that comes into it a bit. A checkout (quite different from a type rating, and much simpler) is for learning the handling as well as the simpler systems and emergency procedures in light aircraft (under 12,500 lbs), but type ratings are for heavier aircraft and turbine engines (in the U.S., anyway).

Real world aircraft are typically more predictable in their handling than the FS counterparts, since so many designers don't really (if I can judge by flying qualities) seem to understand how an airplane should handle -- they should always be almost natural, for an experienced pilot, even in unfamiliar aircraft. Of course I'm speaking of certificated, civilian aircraft only. A couple of hours in a 757/767 full motion sim taught me that even that big rascal handles a lot like a big Cub (without needing all that rudder input in flight, since adverse yaw is tamed).

The Saitek however is one twitchy yoke, upon near full deflection during the flare it's WAY too responsive over a very minimal range causing sudden and sometimes violent shifts in pitch, it's awful and nothing I have tried so far has helped much.

It sounds to me as if there is a design flaw in the Saitek (I've never tried one), though there are tables in the .air file which might, if someone knows enough about them, be able to compensate for your problem when in that aircraft (and only for the one you modify), but it's apparently really the yoke itself, since the CH seems OK, so I'd not recommend this.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived