Availability of FSX

Gringo6

I need to buy a new copy of FSX. The one I have has become

unusable. Where can I do this ?

The one I have is the Deluxe Edition. Seems like I've heard there

is now a Gold Edition. What is that like !

Hey Gringo,

I think the wisest course here is to address your unusable discs. There's a known problem with certain programs interfering with the reading of the FSX discs. It has to do with the way the FSX data is encoded on the disc. If when trying to install FSX any loading is accompanied with a lot of disc "chattering" and any progress is very slow this is the problem. For me the solution was to go into Safe mode, copy the contents of both FSX discs to a common folder, and after returning to a normal startup run setup.exe in the new folder.

If this is not the problem the most realistic alternative is to checkout the Steam version of FSX. This might be the best option regardless of the problem you're having.

Jim F.

Microsoft no longer sell any version of FSX. There may still be genuine copies at some stores but at high prices. There are lots of pirate versions, most of which don't work.

As others have said, buy a new version of FSX-SE.

Microsoft no longer sell any version of FSX. Tjere may still be genuine copies at some sstore but at high prices. There are lots of pirate version most of which don't work.

As others have said, buy a new version of FSX-SE.

Amazon has it.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

There are plenty on Amazon and from stores through ebay, FSX is still being produced in limited numbers from MS
AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

I was going to tell you it was available on Amazon and it is. Trying to be a good samaritan I went over to check on the price to tell it to you. This is when my teeth fell out of my head! The Gold version is about 179.00! Yikes I paid about 19.99 for it. Talk about inflation! Good luck and Steam sounds better and better!

Really no need for the boxed edition anymore. FSX-SE is a great product. More and more addons are coming with FSX-SE installers. Most of the addons without a native installer can be manually installed with no big deal.

I have both boxed Acceleration and FSX-SE running. If not for my multiplayer friends being on boxed FSX, I would probably go all in with FSX-SE.

I need to buy a new copy of FSX. The one I have has become

unusable..

Like Henrystreet said, FSX-SE (Steam Edition) is your best bet, you simply download it from their site.

That's the big plus of buying games and sims by download, we don't have to worry about disks wearing out with old age..:)

Aside from availability, FSX-SE is on sale fairly often for a whopping $5.00. If for NO other reason than that, it's worth it.

And of course, what everyone else said too...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Not inflation - I think the more accurate term would be profiteering.

Not profiteering but simply market forces. People are prepared to buy FSX at $179 so shouldn't others to sell to them at that price?

If you had something to sell wouldn't you ask the highest price you could get?

Not profiteering but simply market forces. People are prepared to buy FSX at $179 so shouldn't others to sell to them at that price?

If you had something to sell wouldn't you ask the highest price you could get?

Perhaps more accurate to say that clueless suckers who don't know about FSX-SE and people who somehow think that Steam is the great Satan are prepared to pay that high price. And, no, I wouldn't sell any of my FSX disks to some fool for such a fee. The value simply doesn't match the cost to the buyer, not until you throw common sense out the window. I know my conscience would definitely bother me if I charged someone such a price. Maybe some things in this world are more important than making a profit, self respect being one of them.

Not inflation - I think the more accurate term would be profiteering.

I'd say the most correct term is "pirate copies" being marketed by scam artists.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Perhaps more accurate to say that clueless suckers who don't know about FSX-SE and people who somehow think that Steam is the great Satan are prepared to pay that high price. And, no, I wouldn't sell any of my FSX disks to some fool for such a fee. The value simply doesn't match the cost to the buyer, not until you throw common sense out the window. I know my conscience would definitely bother me if I charged someone such a price. Maybe some things in this world are more important than making a profit, self respect being one of them.

I totally agree with you. 100%.

Luc

I know my conscience would definitely bother me if I charged someone such a price. Maybe some things in this world are more important than making a profit, self respect being one of them.

Would your self-respect stretch to not asking asking highest pay you could get?

Would your self-respect stretch to not asking asking highest pay you could get?

Mine would. I have brand-spanking new, unopened FSX Gold I'll sell for $40 including USPS shipping in the USA. All I'd ask is that whoever buys it promises to not resell it (I know, dumb to trust strangers but we're all sort of a family here).

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

W2DR.......I will buy it off you ...as a fellow "Ham" W9NUO .....contact me at alverthein@hotmail.com or bigalv63@cox.net Guess you have the Extra Class Licence and that is impressive...I have the Advanced and not that up to date...LOL...al v

E-mail sent. 73 - Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I'd say the most correct term is "pirate copies" being marketed by scam artists.

Sadly enough these were legit copies on Amazon. If I didn't own a copy I'd definitely go the Steam version. I haven't found software game or otherwise that I'd pay that much for. By the way can you install the Steam version and the boxed version on the same rig? I was under the impression there were issues with that.

There are, indeed, some issues with both the initial installs and the subsequent installation of add-ons. Most can be overcome but some are a bit tricky. Do a search on the forums for something like "steam edition" and you'll get lots of input as to both the issues and the solutions.

Doug

There are, indeed, some issues with both the initial installs and the subsequent installation of add-ons. Most can be overcome but some are a bit tricky. Do a search on the forums for something like "steam edition" and you'll get lots of input as to both the issues and the solutions.

Doug

Thanks, we'll do! Not looking to change but would be nice to know. Just in case! :-)

[quote=jandjfrench;

If when trying to install FSX any loading is accompanied with a lot of disc "chattering" and any progress is very slow this is the problem. For me the solution was to go into Safe mode, copy the contents of both FSX discs to a common folder, and after returning to a normal startup run setup.exe in the new folder.

Jim F.

At the moment I have to wait until I can afford more download capacity before going for the Steam version, so I have to look after my boxed FSX. I am curious as to how one gets around the "load disc 2" if you copy all files to a folder. I was trying to back up the software to a USB stick but couldn't get past the disc 2 problem when I tried to load the program. I did this because of the "chatter" and failure of the DVD player to read the original disks. IIRC there was a program that could span multiple disks when copying. Would that be possible to use so that all 3 disks could be copied onto a USB stick?

Remember when CDs first arrived on the scene back when. They were touted as being virtually indestructable ...last a lifetime. Yeah! One scratch and your in trouble. Even the old vinyl records could take more punishment. A case of built in redundancy.

Hi spag,

The problem is not with the physical discs but with the way the data is encoded. Certain other disc programs cause problems with the way the FSX discs are read. MS recommends removing the offending programs but I found that wasn't necessary by following the procedure I recommended. I, too, had the second disc problem but solved it by simply copying the disc 2 files into the disc 1 folder. Here are the contents:

2discs.JPG

After installation I ran FSX once and then ran the setup.exe from the Acceleration folder. I don't see any reason why the files could not be copied to a thumb drive and installed from it.

And the Steam version might still be the best option. It has several advantages and there are problems with directing the installers of certain addons to the correct version when both the disc and Steam versions of FSX are installed.

Jim F.

I, too, had the second disc problem but solved it by simply copying the disc 2 files into the disc 1 folder. Here are the contents:

Thanks for the info. I have copied the contents of Disc 1 & 2 to a folder on an external HD & created a second folder for Acceleration. I assume this is the correct method for the latter as it has it's own Setup file which would try to overwrite Disc 1 Setup. At least I now have a backup if I have problems re-installing with the original discs. I have had to do this a few times on new computers as Microsoft Flight Sim seems to outlast the hardware due to its longevity.

Archived