North American Harvard, power loss after take off??

bontik

In P3D, the Harvard loses power after take off and will not climb? Take off on Full Rich and lean out after airborne. What am I doing wrong? Fed up with crashing!

Anyone, please advise.

Regards

Bontik

Overleaning? Usually most aircraft don't require much leaning until above 3K' MSL.

Are you starting off at a high altitude (>5000' MSL)? You may need to pre-lean for take-off.

Are you raising the gear and flaps immediately on climb being established?

Trying to climb at too great a Vertical Speed?

I can't recall if the bird has spoilers, but if it does, are you making sure they are retracted? Are the generators/batteries, etc functioning? Sometimes if you save a flight "cold and dark", as they say, then start off that way everything is off. Try making your default flight one of the default birds, fully operational, and go from there and see what happens.

I'm just offering what little comes into my pea-brain.

Oh yeah, it's called an SNJ :) Kidding. You can call it a tortoise if you like. My father was an FI in them when he was Navy, is all. Long and long ago, of course.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hello Pat,

Glad to hear from you.As far as I can tell , all is correct. Ive tried her on very shallow climbs, wheels up/down. Same with flaps. Lean /rich. All seem to not work, she just fades after take off. I have another Harvard (SNJ) , here in South Africa we call then a Harvard, which performs well. Can aerobat etc. You must be proud of your Old Man.

Many thanks for your help.

Tony

You must be proud of your Old Man.

I am, very, thank you :D

I don't have time to look right now, but in a while, I can look at you plane, if you like, and see if I can figure out the trouble, although I am very far from being a designer, like Napamule is. You might try sending him a PM with your troubles, perhaps he will help a lot more than i can.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Awesome, possum! Thanks for the Pic! Very nostalgic for me. I never saw dad fly one, as he was well established in UAL before I was born, let alone old enough to remember things, but we ALWAYS made certain to get to the SNJ flights and races at Reno every year.

Thanks again!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived