VOR/LOC Range???????

fess

Now that I have my sim up and running, I find that the VOR/LOC range is not realistic. I know this to be true being that I use this sim as a tool to fly into airports that I fly into in real life. I have tried to search for a program that can adjust the ranges, but I can't seem to find one. I remember reading about a program that can do this, but I can't remember where.

( I suffer from that disease, CRS!:D) Can anyone help me out with info on how to increase the VOR/LOC range or a program that can do this? My thanks in advance.

I don't know of anything that can adjust their ranges. There are two kinds of VOR: a low altitude and a high altitude. I am pretty sure the high altitude one has a 50 or 100 NMi range, and the low altitude is a 20 or 25, but i may ell be mistaken on those numbers. The VOR can be changed out, one for the other with ADE I believe.

Thats all I know, although I wager The Bean has much more info on all this.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I am aware of the differences between the L and H VOR's. But I can say that the ranges presented inFS2002 are inaccurate due to the fact that I have flown some of these VOR's in real life. I'm still trying to find that file I mentioned, and if I do, I hope it works in FS2002. If not, I guess I will survive.

Ok, sorry I wasn't more help. I really meant no insult to your knowledge. Anyone who was a Phantom Phlyer has at least a small clue, I know that, altho there were some RIO's we really wondered about...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Yes I find the VOR / LOC very frustrating, I have looked high and low ( get it :D ) but have never found anything that fixes it. I have noticed some airports are fine but in most cases they are not.

There is bound to be something out there that fixes it, but I cant find it.

Although I have had a "man look" as my partner would say, maybe I will try and bribe her with something so she can have a look, like any woman she is bound to find it in 2 minutes flat.

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Not at my flightsim computer right now but fairly sure that Airport Design Editor (ADE) (free download from Scruffy Duck Software from this site) will suffice. It will install/edit an ILS and you can specify range and slope. For a VOR you can add one to an airport. I have never tried to edit one not on an airfield. Ha, now I am wondering where the default VOR data is filed.

Gordon

There is an option in the "Airport for Windows" scenery program to set the VOR range - at least in those airports which I built using that program. There is also a range option for the Navaids in "AFACD 2.21". I cannot confirm if either actually work, as I haven't fiddled with them . . . yet.

ADE is for FS2004 and FSX. I don't know about AFCAD.

According to the Help files: AFCAD V2.21 for FS2004, AFCAD V1.4 for FS2002. I am using V2.21 in FS2004 with Win 7 64 bit (though not extensively) - seems to work OK.

(I assume from the navigation box at the bottom of the page that Fess is using FS2002 - if that is the case, AFCAD V1.4 is available from the Flightsim File Library, under FS2002 Misc, file name afcad140.zip)

Ok, sorry I wasn't more help. I really meant no insult to your knowledge. Anyone who was a Phantom Phlyer has at least a small clue, I know that, altho there were some RIO's we really wondered about...

Pat☺

I'm sure there were a few RIO's that wondered about me also. :)

I didn't take your post as an insult at all.

Well, it took a while but I finally found the file I was looking for.... EasyNavs by Lee Swordy. I have never used it, and it is listed as a FS2000 program. So I am not sure it will work in FS2002. I have read that some scenery from FS2000 will work in FS2002, but I'm not sure if this program will work. If it does, I will pass it on.

Archived