Having a blast

snoman909

Just un installed FSX cause of all the crashes, reinstalled with sp 1 and then installed my newest purchase in the acceleration add on. Its like a whole different sim, not one crash when all it did was crash, the graphics are still smooth as before but it has that extra edge to them, i just took off from my local airport in the f-18 and hit after burner and nosed it straight up, looked behind me and watched the earth get smaller, amazing lol. Im very happy :)

Good for you!! And if I understand your post....listen to the advice of a few of the long time posters on this site AS I HAVE DONE and your experience with FSX will even get better ....I know my system is now a pleasant place for me to fly my top of the line aircraft like the PMDGs and several others.....Happy Landings to you ....al verthein....tucson

Terrific. Sometimes a fresh install does wonders. Now that it's running well only tweak it if you absolutely have to.........

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

if you like that version of the F/A 18C that came with Acceleration, head over to FSDream Team and try out the FSXBA (FSX Blue Angels demo team) v15.2, the Sludge Hornet, the Hanimod Hornet, or the FSXBA Modified version, http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,10839.0.html, in my opinion the very best of them all, so far, although the V15.2 is getting an upgrade once "Jimi" Hendicks gets off this cruise I understand.

By the way, Jimi and his crew are the ones that developed the Hornet for FSX Acceleration in the first place, although the panel was the result of someone else's efforts, I think. Personally, I would go with the FSXBA v15.2, found in the Forum Thread http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.0.html, around pg. 38, IIRC, or the FSX (NH) found in the link previous to this last one. Both are outstanding, with upgraded Flight Dynamics, and much improved textures, as well as a huge variety of textures available. Personally, I lean twords the NH version in the first thread I linked, but that's probably because I am trying to help Peter, the man that started the project, shown in the first thread I linked, work the Flight Dynamics improvements in my own small ways. :)

Pat☺

They are both outstanding, whichever you select, if you choose to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I just reinstalled my copy of P3D2 after replacing my old, dying laptop with a new one. I can't believe how much performance I'm getting compared my old rig; finally, I can actually fly the Carenado Phenom, the Hawker 850 and other performance-heavy planes without looking at a slide show.

http://i.imgur.com/iMDlMAv.jpg

TseTse i5-9600K @ 3.7~4.5GHz | RTX2060 Super 8GB | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1TB Samsung 840EVO | Z390 Chipset | Windows 10 x64

I've been using the Sludge version for quite a while. It's been pretty good,

and I also made a better rose colored HUD glass for it. If anyone wants it, let me

know and I'll put it on my server.. It will work with any FSX/Acceleration FA/18.

I d/led both those versions you linked to and will try them out when I get a chance.

Always curious how others flight model feels compared to what I'm using, which

is the sludge model. I'm kind of used to it, so not sure if changing would actually

be good unless I was sure the new one was more accurate. And you really need

a real world FA/18 pilot to be able to judge. Which I'm not..

I'm used to what I have as far as power, high alpha flight, etc.

Thanks so much Sgt, and yes im on it, love the layout of the different paints. Thank you for your service. and for the link. Im still looking for the mission where i dust the soybeans in a crop duster lol :p Is there any r/c fans here? Im about to head out to the field and get some stick time in :D

So, FSX installed default is useless? Waste of time?

After all the bragging in a couple of other posts about required files it would seem so

I reset my Windows 8.1 without FS.

This is my last ever post.

FSX in general, or the F/A-18C in particular?

FSX in general is great. I love it, and I don't do payware. Just a very few add-ons that I dug up to help improve it, in my opinion only. "Out of he Box" is dandy though, and doesn't really need any add-ons of any sort at all.

The F/A-18 that came with the Accel package is dandy also. Nothing wrong with it. It's just that, again, ONLY in my opinion, the ones I "pushed" are better, is all.

I've been using the Sludge version for quite a while. It's been pretty good...

Yes it is excellent, but it's been optimized for carrier landings. "Specialized" might be a better term. And it does very well too! BUT...

...so not sure if changing would actually

be good unless I was sure the new one was more accurate. And you really need

a real world FA/18 pilot to be able to judge. Which I'm not

Me either, believe me. Closest I ever came was flying a friend-of-the-family's Citabria. BUT

The FSXBA 15.2 has been vetted by real-world F/A-18C and F/A-18E model pilots (I think the FSX BA Team has a couple on it, but I may be wrong on that, you can ask Jimi), and their suggestions incorporated to make the v15.2 out of the FSX Accel default, which was created by the same team. And it's an on-going effort by Jimi and his team to make it better, ie: closer to the NATOPS and RW pilot inputs. They are trying to utilize a similar system to the PID controllers that the AI aircraft utilize to imitate the real plane's FCS. They have it all written, and now are fine tuning the PID settings so it fly's "right".

The models Peter is working on, the CS, FS, and NH models, simply took a slightly different path to achieve the same results. He is modifying the FSX default's Aircraft.cfg and .air files, rather than the FCS controllers in the Panel.cfg. However, he is carefully studying the NATOPS and previous Pilot inputs, as well as the FSDev forum, to make the FDE as realistic as he possibly can. One handy change he made was to split off the different load-outs, like A-A, AG, Clean and so on, each has it's own folder, rather than try to make one .air file and aircraft.cfg fit everything. He kept all the main textures common to every plane in one folder to help reduce over size of the aircrafts on the harddrive.

It's a pretty complex aircraft, so one small change herecan have unexpected effects over there, if you see what I mean. We finally settled on a set-up for the Flaps and W&B systems, and now we are focusing on the dynamics of the high AOA maneuvers, and making the engines function correctly at the various altitudes and airspeeds. Of course, the slower you go, the more the autoflaps system extends the flaps, so again, inter-related.

I'm sorry, I ramble on. It's a lot of fun for me though, and Jimi and Peter, as well as all the rest involved (other than me) are some smart cookies! It's a lot of fun for me to learn as I go, so to speak. I thought I actually knew a little something about flight dynamics. There I go thinking again!

Thanks so much Sgt, and yes im on it, love the layout of the different paints. Thank you for your service.

It was an honor an privelidge. I couldn't do less, in my own mind :) I'm not going to ever say every minute was "fun" by any stretch, but...

Great day and fun flights to all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

It was an honor an privelidge. I couldn't do less, in my own mind :) I'm not going to ever say every minute was "fun" by any stretch, but...

Great day and fun flights to all!

Pat☺

COME ON PAT! Don't you remember every day is a sunny day in the Corps? Especially when you can be helping make skid marks in the sky!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

"Every day is a Holiday, every meal a feast, and every paycheck is a fortune!"

Oh yes! But! I was in YUMA for a fair percentage, and I despise YUMA with a blind passion.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincon, how did you enjoy the play?? ;)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Every day is a Holiday, every meal a feast, and every paycheck is a fortune!"

Oh yes! But! I was in YUMA for a fair percentage, and I despise YUMA with a blind passion.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincon, how did you enjoy the play?? ;)

Pat☺

Oh My! YUMA!

We popped over there from time to time for aerial gunnery practice. Sunrise to about 3 hours after was all I wanted to be out and about in a non air conditioned CH-34 or 46!

I didn't even enjoy walking across the toll bridge! Too hot, too weird, once was plenty. And after you've seen one donkey show, they probably are all pretty much all alike.

I take my comment back. Probably there were one or two bad days in Yuma.

Thanks for your service!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thank you so much for the links of the FSXBA sgt. ty ty ty :)

My pleasure! I am very glad you enjoyed it (them??) so much. From what I understand, the FSX Blue Angels Demo Team (of whom I am most certainly NOT one!) are currently utilizing the FSXBA v15.2 version, although another revision is in the works. Total revamp of the FCS. I am waiting with baited breath, believe me!

Me I am slowly plugging away with Peter on the NH v2.2.0. He's dealing with the Lift/drag stuff at high AOA, and me, I'm just being generally nosey. I am not happy with the acceleration from very slow speed at altitudes above 30 or 33K ft MSL, and the turn radius at those altitudes at low AOA's. Together, we seem to getting closer and closer to "reality" from what we can tell :D

I was also dissatisfied with the plane drifting left even with a small right bank (

Keep watching for more updates!

GREAT pictures, by the way. Looks like you're having a lot of fun, and that's what this is all about! Make sure you read through the PDF file about the various systems, as there is a ton of good info in there, like the T/O trim, the Pirouette system, and so on and so on! Makes it a lot more fun to fly, especially one you get all the switchology down :) I am STILL learning some of it, believe me!

Great flights, and fair winds, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried the FSXBA 15.2 and it seems OK I suppose. But I found the buffeting they

put into the flight model " I assume it was on purpose" , to be a bit peculiar and not

sure I really like it. It seemed to buffet even at lighter loads I would expect to be fairly

stable.

One reason I found it a bit peculiar was that even though I suspect the real world

pilots can feel that buffet as they load the plane up, you don't really seem to notice

it on the camera views looking forward out of the cockpit in the real world videos.

So I'm wondering if it might be a tad overdone.. ?? But like I say, I don't fly em, so

I don't really know how accurate that is. But I'm sort of thinking I still prefer the

Sludge jet overall. I also noticed that I wasn't getting any vapor off the sides of the

BA jet like I do with the Sludge. Don't know if they don't use it, or maybe it was just

missing the vapor fx.

One thing about high alpha and the Sludge jet. I think it might be running a bit on the

slow side when flying high alpha. IE: I can do high alpha passes with that plane and

my speed will usually be under 100 knots IAS and still not quite to a stall warning.

I was thinking around 125 knots would be more accurate judging from some comments

from Blue Angel pilots when flying the tourists. But hard to say.. I don't actually know

anyone that does high alpha passes with the F/A 18 in the real world to ask about it.

I haven't tried any high alpha stuff with the BA jet yet. I'll have to check it out and see

what speeds it runs on those.

It seemed to buffet even at lighter loads I would expect to be fairly

stable.

What flight regime? Fast/slow, full fuel/empty, high/low AOA, High/low G, high/low power on the engines, flaps Full/Half/Auto? The more info the better I'll be able to help. As I mentioned, Jimi and his gang aren't happy with the FCS, although they are going about modifying it along a different path than Peter is.

I also noticed that I wasn't getting any vapor off the sides of the

BA jet like I do with the Sludge.

I'll take a look and see what I can (or can't!) see :D

Which panel was the plane you were using utilizing? It matters. There is Fleet, Effects, and Blue Angels panels, each with different gauges specialized for different things.

One thing I believe they all have in common is the Data page, SHFT+8. It will tell you what effects are being triggered (or not). Look in the lower right area.

I can do high alpha passes with that plane and

my speed will usually be under 100 knots IAS and still not quite to a stall warning.

A lot depends on Gross Weight. Unrestricted carrier ops is 33K, flared landing on shore stations (runways, ok? no smart-alek comments please! :D ).

The Sludge version was specialized by him for carrier ops. He made it a bit slower to make carrier ops easier. I believe the FSX BA v15.2 is designed to give stall warning at about 35°, but it shouldn't depart till about 50°, I think. I'll look. The planes utilizing the Blue Angels panel have some specialty gauges loaded also, that may change these things. Again, you can check the Data page to see a lot about what's going on. Again, I'll look.

Take a look for the file F18-ABCD-000.pdf on Google. That's the real NATOPS for the real F/A-18 A/B/C/D models. It has a TON of useful info, and what Jimi is basing his work on. It might help answer some of you questions or concerns

about how the real plane flies. LOT of reading, but IMO, well worth the time and effort taken.

I hope all this rambling has helped a little bit :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, real quick, I'll amplify later when I have some time:

High AOA/Low Speed: Straight and level, the FSXBA bird with fly as slow as 70KIAS, just nudging at 35° AOA before stall warning. Obviously, it will be higher in corners due to the loss of pure lift vector to go round the turn. Higher bank angle=faster required KIAS to maintain altitude.

The FSXBA does have the same LEX vapor effect but they discarded the wing-tip vapor effect. "F/A-18 Medium G LEXVapor - Triggers/Stops - +4.5 G, +210 KIAS, -20K' baro." is straight out of the gauge's XML file. My problem is when I pull that much C, the screen goes black, and I can't tell you if the effect is there or not. I have never been able to fly in spot view.

There are, in fact, AOA, and G, shake effects. I think they are accurate, but if you don't like them, you can always comment them out of the panel.cfg file :) I can talk to Jimi and see what he says, or you can post in the FSDT forums, if you prefer.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I took it for another spin a while ago. I didn't really noticed the "buffet" near as much

this time. I was using a different plane/paint, but the cockpit looked the same, so the

flight model should have been about the same.

The buffet I had noticed before was on the hard pulls where the G's start cranking up.

But I didn't see as much of that this time. I did try some high alpha, and my test pretty

much matches what he says. I would start to get the warning around 75 knots, and

72 knots was the lowest speed I did during that pass. I might could have gone a tad

slower, but with the warning going off, I figured I was pretty close to the lowest

speed it was going to do. I did notice the AOA effect, which was like a light buffet,

and it seemed pretty accurate. Maybe the one I saw last time was the G effect..

It was stronger.

I'm not getting the LEX vapor, but I'm getting wingtip vapor. I tried cranking it to

blackout G land, and no LEX vapor like the Sludge I run. But I can probably straighten

that out. I might have forgot an FX file or sumtin.. I see the vapor when doing replays

in other views.

I snapped a short video from the high alpha test I just did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcSTNGfw1Ao&feature=youtu.be

BTW, I guess this brings me back to my original ponderation..

Does the F/A 18 actually do high alpha flight that slow?

Maybe it does.. Sometimes they look that slow in videos of high alpha passes..

But for some reason I had it stuck in my brain pan that they were usually

around the 120-125 knot range when doing those passes. But all things

considered, 120 knots is not really that slow for a small jet, and I wouldn't expect

too radical an AOA at that speed, so maybe they do fly well under 100 knots

on those passes..

BTW, the Sludge version seems no slower in that regard. Pretty close to the same.

If anything, I might be a tad faster when doing those in the sludge jet.

The real Angels most probably have certain KIAS/AOA restrictions per altitude, to try and prevent departures too close to the ground. That way they have a decent "cushion" if something happens. Loss of an engine, sudden gust from behind, the list is endless.

I believe the G vibration effects are a bit stronger, I believe.

If there is no Blue Angels panel to go with the paints, I will speak to Jimi, or send you the proper folders to add it in, should you so choose. It was integral in the 12.5 version, which was the first made available as freeware, and I honestly thought he still included the Blue Angles panel (with smoke effect and extended inverted flight tanks among other things) as well as the Fleet panel for the Effect planes, and a multiplayer version, which reduces FPS impact for use online. I will dig deeper.

The main thing when flying slow and dirty, vice just slowly, is to just keep it onspeed, crosschecking the AOA, airspeed and gross weight, and the E symbol on the HUD. I think the Sludge version, as I mentioned, is a tad slower to make carrier landings easier. It was optimized for that. The FSX BA was optimized, basically, for the performance of the Blue Angel maneuvers. The last but not least are the three Peter put out, up to v2.2.0 now. There are 3 versions of that, with one of the default FSX F/A-18C/D, with a ton of paints, but upgraded FDE, a CaptainSim version with all the same paints and FDE, and the NH with is the FSXBA plane with upgraded FDE and a ton of paints available, as well as several different load-outs, each with it's own UNIQUE FDE. Peter has put a ton of work into all this (yes, I was assisting in a small way. That's why I am so up on this :) ).

Personally the NH Training model is my favorite. It's essentially the testbed for all the rest, at least for me. All three of Peter's models have all the effects installed, except the Antiskid brake difference for carrier vs landbased ops. It essentially turned the Antiskid on for land Off for carrier IF the wings were folded. That has been disabled, so now it's up to the pilot to select the proper mode, as well as the Hook Bypass switch.

I know the NH version has both LEX and wingtip vapor included, I will get you a screencap tomorrow, if you like. I am pretty sure the FSXBA v15.2 does also, I'll see what I can do about getting a screenie of that too.

I hope all this helps out some :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived