What should I upgrade?

Hi All,

I'm recently just getting back into flightsim after a long long while of not flying! I used to be a big flightsim in the early 2000's but stopped for nearly a decade. I just recently go back into it and im trying to setup my no so new PC as much as I can to run FS2004 flawless.

This is my setup and I currently getting 20-25fps on the good sceneries like aerosoft, flytampa with everything max out. I do see sometimes the long distance scenery moving, like the ground flickering etc, it is a bit annoying. The close scenery of the ground, trees etc. is perfectly fine is the long distance blur area that seem to act weird like moves around etc. I will like to know what I should upgrade or change? There is also a very small hiccups when flying closer to the terminals of big sceneries.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M68MT-D3

CPU: AMD Athlon II 250 - Dual Core 3Ghz

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 750 ti

Rams: 8GB Rams DDR3 (4GB x2)

Thanks all!

Hi there,

Upgardes on your system depend on your budget. To be honest, I think that you could change the Motherboard and CPU, or atleat the CPU for a faster one, however it wouldn't make a big difference, as AM3 socket supports CPUs that run at max. 3,5-3,6GHz (They are Dual Core). The Graphics Card is more than enough, same thing with RAM.

One question;Could you tell me other specs (HDD, Power Supply, Case)?

My Blog:http://thebadpilotsblog.blogspot.com/ My PC: i7-3970X up to 4.0GHz, Gigabyte GTX970 OC, Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme, Kingston HyperX Beast XMP 16GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB, Noctua NH-D15, Thermaltake SE Smart 630W, Cooler Master CM690 III, Windows 10.

Thank you so much for your recommendation. Just so that I understand, you think the only thing left will be a CPU upgrade but an upgrade from 3.0ghz to a 3.6ghz wouldn't really make a difference for fs2004. I was thinking about making the upgrade but if it wont be a significant upgrade for fs2004 I can save the money :)

I have a Cooler Master Elite Power 460W ATX Power Supply, Western Digital 500GB and the PC case I think is a Corsair but not too sure which model though.

IF it were me, I would get a newer, upgraded, better, mother board and CPU, not to mention Power supply.

Like a 750W (min) power supply, and a minimum 4-Core 4.5MHz CPU. Your RAM and GPU are fine for now. And of course, an adequate cooling system for the CPU. Absolutely vital.

But again, this is just me. At the moment, I have no room to sreally say much, though, since I'm running on a DELL 1750 with a 2-core 2.6MHz with 4G of RAM and an AMD 3650 GPU :) I guess I'm just dreaming, is all, about what I would like to have.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

One thing you could also do to make work on your computer faster is getting a SSD, preferably a 240 or 256GB SSD and another HDD (1TB, you can get one for only 40-45$) and leave your 500GB Drive.
My Blog:http://thebadpilotsblog.blogspot.com/ My PC: i7-3970X up to 4.0GHz, Gigabyte GTX970 OC, Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme, Kingston HyperX Beast XMP 16GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB, Noctua NH-D15, Thermaltake SE Smart 630W, Cooler Master CM690 III, Windows 10.

IF it were me, I would get a newer, upgraded, better, mother board and CPU, not to mention Power supply.

Like a 750W (min) power supply, and a minimum 4-Core 4.5MHz CPU. Your RAM and GPU are fine for now. And of course, an adequate cooling system for the CPU. Absolutely vital.

But again, this is just me. At the moment, I have no room to sreally say much, though, since I'm running on a DELL 1750 with a 2-core 2.6MHz with 4G of RAM and an AMD 3650 GPU :) I guess I'm just dreaming, is all, about what I would like to have.

Pat☺

Great recommendation. I'm looking to do just a few things to make fs2004 work the best I can with my current setup. Its not too bad at all as of right now as I'm running everything high including %100 AI traffic using Traffic 2005 and still get 20 to 30 fps (I have 30fps lock).

I do planning in building a new PC later this month to someday upgrade to FSX with max graphics. Do you think a PC with your recommendation will run FSX?

One thing you could also do to make work on your computer faster is getting a SSD, preferably a 240 or 256GB SSD and another HDD (1TB, you can get one for only 40-45$) and leave your 500GB Drive.

Great stuff and I'm glad you mention it. I actually went into a local PC store to inquire in upgrading my HDD to a brand new one with 1TB. I will look into the SSD I wasn't aware of this opportunity of running 2 HDs.

A CPU upgrade would be top of the list, something that is 3.7Ghz or above would be ideal. Of course you will need to upgrade your power supply as well to get the most out of your new CPU but don't go overboard a 600w to 750w will be plenty. CPU cooling again wont be much of a issue unless you overclock it then you will need a better cooler than the AMD stock cooler you get with the CPU.

If the machine is a general gaming machine or will be used for FS only will depend on what your upgrades should be.

A powerful gaming computer wont be a good FS machine, and vice versa.

Here's something to keep in mind that many people don't know or overlook. FS will not use anymore than 4 cores on a processor and in fact hardly uses 2 of the 4 cores at all.

So having a 6 or 8 core AMD will not be any better than a quad core if they have the same cache size.

So in short a quad core with a decent cache size is the sweet spot for FS over and above that is just throwing your money down the drain.

Now if you want a general gaming machine, well that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Thank you Darryl for your input.

The best option for CPU I currently have for my current mother board is the AMD Athlon II x280 it is dual core at 3.7ghz, it sells cheap in amazon (under $100) and I was looking into getting soon. I didn't know it was recommended to also upgrade the power supply for it. Thanks for letting me know!

Regarding my next PC that I will like to build. It would be ideally only to run FSX. I do all my rest of gaming on the PS4 and have no interest in gaming in my PC other than running FSX as it max potential.

Thanks again everyone! very helpful tips!

Regarding my next PC that I will like to build. It would be ideally only to run FSX. I do all my rest of gaming on the PS4 and have no interest in gaming in my PC other than running FSX as it max potential.

When you are ready to build your FSX machine drop me a line and I will give you some advice on what you should be looking at getting.

I am in the process of building 2 purely FSX machines for other people at the moment, and have built a number over the years.

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Great recommendation. I'm looking to do just a few things to make fs2004 work the best I can with my current setup. Its not too bad at all as of right now as I'm running everything high including %100 AI traffic using Traffic 2005 and still get 20 to 30 fps (I have 30fps lock).

I do planning in building a new PC later this month to someday upgrade to FSX with max graphics. Do you think a PC with your recommendation will run FSX?

Comfortably, unless I've been misreading the forums.

ALTHOUGH, believe it or not, this laptop I'm running on now, believe it or not, runs FSX-SE fairly well. Is it ultra-scenery, thick 3D clouds etc etc cabable? No. It will run FS9 for a treat though. Full everything, except 3d clouds. I have to cut back some on those, but other than that, FS9 jams along at the 30FPS limit all day long, if it's not too hot a day :D No AC in this house, but a great heater. Makes for some..ahem :warm: summer days, although after 30 years in Yuma, it's not that bad at all!

Laptop cooling is notoriously inadequate for high heat environments, though. I put a more powerful fan in it, which helps a lot. 90°F today, and I was running FSX-SE pretty well. And NO trouble with FS9 at all, although I have a few floor fans scattered here and there in the house :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thank you Darryl for your input.

The best option for CPU I currently have for my current mother board is the AMD Athlon II x280 it is dual core at 3.7ghz, it sells cheap in amazon (under $100) and I was looking into getting soon. I didn't know it was recommended to also upgrade the power supply for it. Thanks for letting me know!

Thanks again everyone! very helpful tips!

Two points:

Though I love many of their products, an AMD CPU doesn't work nearly as well with FSX as Intel chips! Check it out, everyone who has done both, including me, has had that reaction. And yes, I have a AMD GPU which is wonderful for multiple screens, which I use three of for all my FSX adventures. But AMD CPUS don't seem to be of any of any value at all concerning good FSX experiences.

BUY AN INTEL CPU with at least 4ghz processor speed! Sad to say, those are what really work! Yes it's great to have at least 8MG of ram, and the faster the better. DDR4 2400 is top of the line. But bottom line is, if your CPU can't manage the FSX at 4gh or better, you're not going to have a full slider experience ever!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Two points:

Though I love many of their products, an AMD CPU doesn't work nearly as well with FSX as Intel chips! Check it out, everyone who has done both, including me, has had that reaction. And yes, I have a AMD GPU which is wonderful for multiple screens, which I use three of for all my FSX adventures.

I have run both and you are correct in the past Intel was the only real choice. However my last 4 builds and one for myself I have used the AMD FX6300, and I get a average of 65fps with a peak of 101fps, with all sliders full except shipping and vehicles. I run ORBX Global plus two scenery sets from them, AI, and FSrealWXpro. Also there is no performance gain with FSX in using DDR4 instead of DDR3 as FSX doesn't use the CPU the same way other software does, hence the normal gains you may see with DDR4 just aren't there.

The only Intel chip that I have experienced that runs close to what I have is the i54690 which out performs the i7 CPUs with FSX. But bang for your buck and fps by the dollar AMD as far as FSX goes is in my view the winner. Now a general gaming rig which I have also, you are going to want a Intel CPU for sure.

Hi All,

The following is my system configuration:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition OC'ed to 3.9Ghz

6 GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz

GTX 750 Ti 2 GB DDR5

1 TB Seagate HDD

I have read in posts that overclocking CPU leads to a huge gain in FPS. But in my case even after going to 3.9 GHz from the stock speed of 3.2GHz, I didn't get any gain in fps. My fps is around 4-5 when on ground at a busy airport VC of PMDG NGX 737 and around 10-12 fps while on air. Judging from other benchmarks I get it that my fps stats are too low and below playable standards.

Please help in identifying the bottlenecks as I want to upgrade my system.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Arghya

Archived