The dumb things we do.

I’ve done some dumb things in my time but buying a 40 year old PA34 200 SENECA would have to be one of the dumbest. What was I thinking? Apart from the fact that I have NEVER flown a plane that is so nose heavy that I have to throw two bags of sand in the rear luggage hole so that I can land the thing half way like a normal plane. And don’t get me started on xwind landings .It hates them. 13 kts max xwind. On the plus side, there’s plenty of elbow room inside, not like the Baron where pilot and passenger rub shoulders. The engines seem to be bullet proof and cheap to maintain, but, don’t be in a hurry to go anywhere. Now, here’s the thing. It ‘all MINE. Bought and paid for. I am now the proud owner of a geriatric S**T-Mobile. Might have to put some paint on it. My “flight attendant” (pictured)

Wants to have me paint a marijuana leaf on the tail with the inscription. “I’m lost-- but I’m happy”.

MMM. Don’t know about that?

skytrek

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fsc/images/attach/jpg.gif

fly 006.JPG

I think it looks pretty good as is, but I tend to agree, a Leaf on the tail would enhance it a lot! How about "Colorado, Oregon, Washington Fun Flights". I am going to presume it would be appropriate. I'm not certain about who else has legalized it.

I am really lousy at geography. I always felt there was California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and "back east". Like as in "What, Denver isn't a suburb of Washington DC??". I just lumped all of it together. To me, it was Ill-Elephant (my wife hates it when I use that!). I mean, really, how much surfing is there in Iowa (I grew up in the SF Bay Area, can ya tell)??

I mean no offense to anyone "back east", it was just the way I grew up, was all. No surfing, no matter, to me :)

Anyway, still not a bad bird. Take ya a long way for that $100.00 hamburger!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 1 month later...

Pffft! Rustoleum comes in all kinds of colors now! Paint+Primer in one can. Quick, simple easy, lazy man's touchup method :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 months later...

Hi Skytrek,

Yep - gotta hand it to you - double as dumb as me - LOL - at least mine only has one engine to worry about maintaining... Nice plane - best of luck with it - hope you enjoy it... Is this what happens when you take flight sim too far ???

:)

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

• 2 weeks later...

I see you have a Sundowner. Nice plane the sundowner. Not as quick as the Archer or the C172 but better quality. Congratulations, Good choice for a single. Yes, I am indeed enjoying the Seneca. It is not a good sight seeing plane, more of a commuter. I get best performance way up there in the luft, 9-10K

It’s an old aeroplane; If I look after it, I figure it has about 10 to 15 years of flying left on it before it becomes an economic writ off. The amount of money I paid for it, I can then park it and walk away from it and it won’t owe me anything, or I can part it out.

I find flightsim useful for instrument practice, it’s cheaper the burning expensive fuel. (80 liters an hour-17 gal) However, Flightsim , for me has serious limitations for real world flying, but, it’s good fun.

I only bought flightsim to see how accurate it was. I was already flying when the wife came home with a PC. (I high-jacked it)

Safe flying.

skytrek

Hi Skytrek,

Yeah - they jokingly call my plane the "Slowdowner" - but - the cockpit is huge - bigger than anything in it's class including the Bonanza - at 6' 5" 220 lbs I really appreciate that... We pay for the space with the 105 Knot Cruise - wide open I get like 115 Knots... There is a company working on certified wheel pants which may give me another 4 to 5 knots but she's no speed demon - still - she flies nice and built like a tank...

As for the Seneca - the cost to rebuild TWO engines would scare the snot out of me... Sounds like you plan on walking when the engines are used up and it might be a good plan on an older plane depending on its shape...

Are you instrument rated ? I'm working on that now. I agree for the basic feel of flying - MSFS isn't that great - but - for learning instrument procedures I think it works pretty well and a great tool... I've loaded up planes with the same instruments I have in my panel - and - have learned how to use my autopilot and GNS430W (RXP) while flying approaches - just as I do in real life - LOL - way cheaper than burning 100LL...

Glad to see you enjoying GA - keep the shiny side up and fly safe !

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

The "Mouse" (from the old Musketeer name) is a sweet bird, though you have to be careful of that laminar flow wing, but it's sure comfortable, and the double doors are great, as is visibility. I finished my Private and got my Commercial in Musketeers -- good memories.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hi Larry,

My experience is not all that diverse as almost all my PIC time is in the Skyhawk and Sundowner... One of the biggest things I like better about the Sundowner is it can fly relatively steep approaches (LOL - not Super Cub steep)... In the Skyhawk - as soon as you had any kind of down angle - the plane would accelerate - short field procedure is simply fly level and knock 5 knots off your approach speed... The Sundowner - just point the nose well before the end of the runway and fly it down... I like the two doors as well...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Scott.

Yes, I am instrument rated. During my training days it was drilled into me to keep away from clouds.

There killers, they told me. And indeed they are, if you are not trained on instruments. It scared me enough to get the rating. Ever since then, I have been climbing up through the clouds to ride the high country. I have to be mindful of the freezing levels. The seneca has no de-icing. Not use to that.

Airplanes covered in ice tend to fly like house bricks.

The engines on the Seneca are not a problem. They have time to run, after that I can run them on condition. The air frame is another story. I can’t see myself re-sparing the old girl.

I see you have started a pic thread, I have to get in on that.

Regards

skytrek

Archived