The dumb things we do

skytrek

I’ve done some dumb things in my time but buying a 40 year old PA34 200 SENECA would have to be one of the dumbest. What was I thinking? Apart from the fact that I have NEVER flown a plane that is so nose heavy that I have to throw two bags of sand in the rear luggage hole so that I can land the thing half way like a normal plane. And don’t get me started on xwind landings .It hates them. 13 kts max xwind. On the plus side, there’s plenty of elbow room inside, not like the Baron where pilot and passenger rub shoulders. The engines seem to be bullet proof and cheap to maintain, but, don’t be in a hurry to go anywhere. Now, here’s the thing. It ‘all MINE. Bought and paid for. I am now the proud owner of a geriatric S**T-Mobile. Might have to put some paint on it. My “flight attendant” (pictured)

Wants to have me paint a marijuana leaf on the tail with the inscription. “I’m lost-- but I’m happy”.

MMM. Don’t know about that?

skytrek

What not have an engineer (ie: 'mechanic') intall one small CANARD on each side of the nose? Might work? Make it work off the pitch (opposite, or course). Maybe even retractable so you only 'use' it when landing? I will submit my 'consultation fee' later.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 3 weeks later...
What not have an engineer (ie: 'mechanic') intall one small CANARD on each side of the nose? Might work? Make it work off the pitch (opposite, or course). Maybe even retractable so you only 'use' it when landing? I will submit my 'consultation fee' later.

Chuck B

Napamule

Shame he couldn't have just edited the AIR file and fixed that nonsense... :p

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Shame he couldn't have just edited the AIR file and fixed that nonsense... :p

Or I could mash a button on the instrument panel and get a drop-down menu and click on “fix all Problems” and save myself lots of $$$$$.

skytrek

But remember old technology is not necessarily bad technology, it put men on the moon.

And that's what was still in use to the day they (NAySAy) quit even trying to get into space. I take that back. They made the Shuttle with 8086 Processors. Never upgraded them, not once. So we were flying into (almost) space with archaic tech.

Welcome to the bureaucracy that NAySAy (d)evolved into. Any sign of actual SPACE exploration? Nah, toooooo expensive. How about Lunar colonies, or mining? Nope. Same answer. Asteroid mining? Not a prayer. Civilians don't belong in space. Annnnd, you guessed it, too expensive.

A tiny bit of LEO science to pacify the scientific community, but nothing too costly. Shuttle needs replacement due to age? Just scrap the program. Consider switching to a launch system that is inexpensive, reusable, and takes 24 hours to turn around for another mission (see "How Burt Rutan won the X-Prize") instead of 6-8 months? No WAY!! He did it all on his own, with no government involvement, and no bureaucracy in place!! Even used up-to-date and upgrade-able technology! Can't have THAT! Ignore or scoff at him, throw up every roadblock we can, save our own jobs at all costs!

Maybe throw a satellite or robot exploration module (waaay overpriced, and over-age before it launches), but don't go overboard!

I apologize. The US DID go to the Moon. A few times. In an age where the tech was cutting edge. Amazing accomplishment, and with only the loss of three lives. Even more amazing, given the BS involved, vonBraun's absolute conviction the HUMANS were merely super-cargo, forced on him by politics, design flaws that were ignored, and all the rest.

Was anything constructive accomplished? Nope. Any sign of a Lunar colony development? Nope. We won the Space Race, now move on...

Sad, isn't it?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Or I could mash a button on the instrument panel and get a drop-down menu and click on “fix all Problems” and save myself lots of $$$$$.

skytrek

Perhaps, instead of the Pull Down Menu, you could Install a 'Esc' Button that would take you to 'End Flight', 'Continue Flight', or 'View Flight Analysis'!

Personally, I think it's a good looking airplane. Sure, it might be slow... but from your Descriptions, it sounds as if you like the 'creature comforts' the Seneca has; roomy Cabin, bulletproof mills, and 'predictable' handling qualities.

My personal choice for a Twin? This one, if only it was mass produced...

rutan_boomerang_flying_photos_experimental_aircraft_burt_rutan-1.jpeg

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Archived