wideview

I think we need a bit more of a back story and your computer specs (nice hardware panel, by the way!).

If it was working before, what changes have you done (addons, other software/driver/OS updates, new hardware) just prior to noticing the problem?

Hope we can help,

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi E-Buzz

Maybe you can help with my problem. I have two big monitors and a smaller one. I recently came across a nifty gadget which allows me to run the third monitor from a USB port. I now want to spread my aircraft panel across the two big monitors but have not had any success. I am running NVIDEA on Windows 7. Thanks, Malcolm

Hi gottofly,

Welcome to the forum!

My only experience with multi-monitors and FSX has been through AMD's "Eyefinity," which is, from what I understand similar to Nvidia's "Surround." I have not used a USB port for adding a monitor. All my monitors are connected to the vid card (6950).

In my current set up, I too am running three monitors - one large and two smaller ones. The large one is center and I use it to fly from the VC. The other two monitors are set (kinda at lap, or instrument-level) below the main (large) monitor (actually a 39" TV) side-by-side. I move my 2D instrument panels to these monitors and it works well on my system (Win 8.1). I can do this in both full-screen and windowed mode, but I find slightly better frame rates and smoothness in windowed. To get rid of the windowed mode borders, I use a program called "Windowed borderless gaming." There is also a program that is called "Pseudo Full Screen", or something like that, that I used in the past, but doesn't work well for me in Win 8.1 for some reason - worked great in Win 7.

I'll have to check (not at my FSX computer now), but I don't think I used Eyefinity to set this up - just the AMD CCC - identified which monitor is which, and the physical placement. Maybe Surround will have something similar? It's also possible that this can be done within just Windows graphics settings... If this is true, I will try to post some screenshots to illustrate...

I'm not sure how the USB gadget is seen by your computer or FSX - you may need to do the ol' Google thing or supply more info here in the hopes that someone reading this can share bits of info and advice - with that info being about your system specs - vid card, CPU, which version of FSX you're running (FSX-Box, FSX-SE), what is the nifty USB gadget, etc.

But, if you're looking to spread the VC across multiple screens, that seems to be a job for Eyefinity/Surround/Tripleheadtogo...

Hope this helps,

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

Hi E-Buzz

Maybe you can help with my problem. I have two big monitors and a smaller one. I recently came across a nifty gadget which allows me to run the third monitor from a USB port. I now want to spread my aircraft panel across the two big monitors but have not had any success. I am running NVIDEA on Windows 7. Thanks, Malcolm

The first question anyone trying to help must ask is exactly what brand and model number is your GPU? Knowing that and the number and description of the output ports on the GPU is essential.

NVIDEA as I recall typically uses 2 HDMI ports & one DVI port or at least one HDMI and 1 DVI port. If your 3rd monitor doesn't have a HDMI port, only a DVI port you'll probably have to buy a "active dongle" to convert your HDMI to DVI. Then you should be able to go into desktop management and set it up as suits.

I'm not aware of a USB output port hookup for a monitor. What adapter goes off the back of the USB port? Is there a USB output port on the GPU?

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

gottofly,

Here is a screenie of what I was mentioning:

Multi screen.JPG

This was done completely through Windows - didn't need to use AMD CCC/Eyefinity. I imagine it should be similar on your system without using Surround. But please remember - I'm now running Win 8.1, not 7.

Like I said previously, all my monitors are plugged into the vid card - no USB thing-a-ma-jig.

As Rupert said, in order to try to assist you better, we do need more info about your vid card and what ports it has. Also more info about your system's specs. You may need to ditch the USB thingy and plug all the monitors into the vid card. For my vid card, I had to get an active dongle to plug in one of my monitors when using Eyefinity.

Please let us know if this helps or if you have solved it another way - your comments help others who may read this looking for a solution to similar problems :cool:

Archived