Boot Problem

2700k, asus p68gen3, intel670

The machine runs for a couple weeks, and then locks up. Six iterations so far.

Nothing will dislodge it, not even repair or Acronis disk.

The people who built it have taken it apart and put it back together. No change

But take the Crucial SSD and put it in another machine - it works fine.

When it locks up, it gives an A2 (IDE detect fault) error notice on the motherboard.

Is there anything to be done short of reinstalling Windows, which will wipe out FSX?

And will reinstalling Windows even fix it?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Geoffrey,

When you put the SSD into the other machine, are you using the same cable or a different one?

When you put the SSD into your machine, have you tried using a different HDD port on the motherboard? If/when you try the SSD on a different HDD port, make sure that the BIOS recognizes that you have changed the HDD port, or set it to the new port.

If it's the cable or a defective HDD port on the motherboard, reinstalling windows wouldn't cure the problem.

Let me know if this works.

Good luck!

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

Hi Geoffrey,

When you put the SSD into the other machine, are you using the same cable or a different one?

When you put the SSD into your machine, have you tried using a different HDD port on the motherboard? If/when you try the SSD on a different HDD port, make sure that the BIOS recognizes that you have changed the HDD port, or set it to the new port.

If it's the cable or a defective HDD port on the motherboard, reinstalling windows wouldn't cure the problem.

Let me know if this works.

Good luck!

E-Buzz, thanks so much for your input. They put in an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard, took out all the software for a Samsung 840 Pro SSD, which they said chewed up the I/O chipset, and reorganized the UEFI. Since no one could explain why it worked for two weeks, I also had Avast Total Support scan the drive for viruses, rootkits, malware and such, and they found a lot of stuff despite that I scan the drive twice a week with CCleaner, Auslogic BoostSpeed, Avast Pro Antiivirus, Malwarebytes and Windows Malicious. So far, it's worked for just about two weeks. We'll see what happens in the next few days. Fingers crossed.... Thanks again.

Glad to hear it's working fine so far. Hopefully you've eliminated the problem.

It's scary what kind of stuff you can find working it's way into your drives even though trying to be as safe as possible!

Hope it continues to work for you with no more problems.

Good Luck!

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

Archived