You Have To See This!

aircav1970

It's amazing what those Demo Pilots can do with such a large airplane! :eek:

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Don't try that steep takeoff with a full load. IT WON'T HAPPEN (not even in Flt Sim). It had to be 'empty weight' setup. Just saying.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, really cool. Saw it at BBC here:http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33115944

Pity they didn't provide some vitals - speeds, altitudes, rate of climb.

somewhat unrelated.. Wasn't there a recent movie with Air Force One doing a trick like that.

David

^^:cool:^^

´´´\/```

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 48GB RAM, RTX 2070S, 2x1TB Nvme SSD. FSX Gold, XP-11, MSFS.

Guys

This is an optical illusion. i saw it in the national news last week.

they interviewed some experts and they all stated that the plane does climb at a pretty high rate, but not as the video shows.

This was promo thingy for what Boeing was going to do in the Paris Air Show and I suppose they performed it.

Now, how do they use optical illusion to fool those who were actually watching it live from the Air Show?

http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

This was promo thingy for what Boeing was going to do in the Paris Air Show and I suppose they performed it.

Now, how do they use optical illusion to fool those who were actually watching it live from the Air Show?

seriously, you see a "almost vertical" take off there ? as the media described it ?

it looks like a 45 degree take off, not 80 ! :rolleyes:

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

seriously, you see a "almost vertical" take off there ? as the media described it ?

I assume that this is just a wrong quote or did I get something wrong?

http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

I assume that this is just a wrong quote or did I get something wrong?

? ..

you said how they fooled those watching it live on the show.

i guess we'll have to contact one of them, if we still believe the almost vertical take off..

this is what i read

"It's a maximum performance climb at 50 to 60 degrees nose-up attitude giving a vertical speed of approximately 6,000ft/min. Two GEnx-1b engines will produce ~148,200 lbs of thrust."

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

? ..

you said how they fooled those watching it live on the show.

i guess we'll have to contact one of them, if we still believe the almost vertical take off..

this is what i read

"It's a maximum performance climb at 50 to 60 degrees nose-up attitude giving a vertical speed of approximately 6,000ft/min. Two GEnx-1b engines will produce ~148,200 lbs of thrust."

Nope I never said they fooled anybody. It was the user xtreme76's statement in which he claims that Boeing used some kind of optical illusion in that video.

I just asked him a question that if it was an illusion in that video, how could they perform it at the Air Show, live.

Hope its clear now. (Short version: We are both on the same side)

Nope I never said they fooled anybody. It was the user xtreme76's statement in which he claims that Boeing used some kind of optical illusion in that video.

I just asked him a question that if it was an illusion in that video, how could they perform it at the Air Show, live.

Hope its clear now. (Short version: We are both on the same side)

I think you are taking his post too literally. Yes, they did perform that take-off when filming the video, and I'm assuming at the airshow too. Airbus has done similar take-offs as well with their aircraft. Many people elsewhere are talking about the aircraft taking off vertically, which it is not doing, however, the way it is filmed leads many to think it is (combined with some exaggerated news headlines). This is the optical illusion xtreme76 is talking about. If there was a fixed view looking at the runway from the side it would be quite clear it is really just a steep climb, not vertical, whereas by using helicopters to film from the air, it looks even more dramatic.

Those take-offs are probably better than 45' for a few seconds until the airspeed starts to drop and then they have to lower the nose. In some shows, they rotate but hold off climbing for a few seconds to build up airspeed and then go for the exaggerated pitch/climb which of course can only last so long before the nose has to be lowered.

Ricardo

FSThrottle.com

Those take-offs are probably better than 45' for a few seconds until the airspeed starts to drop and then they have to lower the nose. In some shows, they rotate but hold off climbing for a few seconds to build up airspeed and then go for the exaggerated pitch/climb which of course can only last so long before the nose has to be lowered.

a vertical climb (as the media said) will cause a very fast stall.

i remember the lady in the news "an almost 90 degree climb" i fell from my chair.

they should document their selfs before stating such dumb info

but hey ! media needs attention ;)

• 2 weeks later...

No, not almost vertical.

Yes, close to 45 degrees.

Not sure where you got "80" from. Here's a screen cap from the video. It claims "almost 30 degree" (sic) not 80.

B787 Farnborough 30 Degree Takeoff.jpg

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

In some shows, they rotate but hold off climbing for a few seconds to build up airspeed and then go for the exaggerated pitch/climb which of course can only last so long before the nose has to be lowered.

We used to call it a "max performance takeoff" (in P2V-5FS ASW/Patrol bombers) in the Navy, and a "zoom" in civilian flying after that.

Here's a shot of a P2V-5FS since nobody who didn't fly them has ever heard of them:

P2v-5FS.jpg

On one occasion, we made a Christmas boondoggle from Jax to Denver with 7 intermediate stops to transport squadron members home for the holidays. All the heavy stuff (APS-20 radar, etc.) was removed for maintenance on this particular bird and we were light on fuel considering that full fuel gave us more than 20 hours endurance and we needed less than one quarter of that for these short hops. We used commercial airports because of their more convenient locations for the families who were picking up their sailor boys.

In Kansas City, we were parked at the end of a concourse next to a beautiful, sleek TWA Super Connie while we went inside for some gedunk as we argued over what "TWA" stood for- we concluded that it probably stood for "Teeny Weenie Airmen" instead of "Trans World Airline" because clearly, we flew to far more places than they did and could prove it.

As we walked back down the concourse in our ratty "rescue me first" orange flightsuits sporting a variety of hydraulic oil and food stains, we passed by the TWA Super Connie co-pilot and 2 of "his" stews, looking out at our admittedly lackluster dull charcoal gray and white P2V. One of the stews said "But, how do they fly in that thing? Where are the passenger windows?"

The all-knowing TWA co-joe said "Very slowly and carefully, Honey, it's a World War Two bomber, probably on its way to a scrapyard." All but one of us just rolled our eyes and walked past, but our copilot, a Nugget who had only been with us for a few months, walked up to them and beamed, "Don't let our deliberately-deceptive paint job fool you! We're about to take off in that experimental Flash-Bomber :p you've been admiring, ladies, and I can assure you, our job is to risk our very lives flying it hard and fast to make sure it's safe for our boys. So we fly it neither slowly nor carefully. You might want to watch my departure from that window right there. I never disappoint beautiful ladies, that's for sure!" He tipped his pisscutter to them and caught up with the rest of us as we walked out to our P2V. "Really? Experimental Flash Bomber?" It was all we could do not to crack up before we climbed the nose wheel well ladder so they couldn't see the tears of laughter in our eyes.

Long story short: we asked Tower for an immediate unrestricted climb to 10,000 feet "for security reasons" and of course, being Patriotic Americans, they granted our request. We set "26-46 and Balls to the Wall" (AKA Military Power: 2,600 RPM, 46" MAP, jet throttles firewalled) while holding the brakes. Naturally, being very light compared to our usual mission weights, when we released the brakes we almost catapulted forward. We lifted off in about 2,000 feet, sucked up the wheels and accelerated down the runway at about 15 feet AGL, running the Varicam (P2V version of stabilizer trim) furiously to try to keep up with the acceleration. We won't discuss our terminal airspeed out of deference to the wise heads at Lockheed and NATOPS who wrote the flight manuals. Suffice to say they obviously had no idea what the old bird could do at less than half of her max gross weight. :D

With about 3,000 feet of runway still in front of us, we "transitioned aggressively to a high deck angle" and shot skyward. We were just over the end of the runway when we pushed over into a less-spectacular climb profile at 8,500 feet. My only regret is that we didn't get to watch the lovely stews and their idiot copilot-slash-Esquire-model as we rocketed out of sight over their heads. But: that's the breaks of Naval Air, commonly referred to as 'Air Breaks' - skidmarks in the sky. :D

10 months later we were the first on-station aircraft enforcing President Kennedy's blockade of Cuba. It was an "interesting" time and I feel sorry for all you young whippersnappers who missed it. Now get the hell off my lawn. :pilot:

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Archived