Same DEP/ARR runway, regardless of weather....

Howdy folks! I always start my flights from McCarran Int'l in Vegas, since I currently reside here. Lately, I've noticed an odd thing. No matter time of day, aircraft type, or weather, I'm always instructed to taxi to Runway 7L for takeoffs, and it's always a visual landing on same runway..

Now, in real life, 7L is only used depending on winds. It's usually 25L or 25R for takeoffs and landings, both ILS approaches. I seem to remember it being more random in the sim, as I had the ILS frequencies memorized. Addons I currently have: FSDT's McCarran (landed on 25L with this addon before), FSRealWX, REX, GEX.

I understand I can always request a different runway, but I shouldn't have to every time right?

Also, I tried using default weather, set for clear skies, no wind....same thing. 7L is still the active runway. Only time it seems to work is when I set weather for "fogged in". Then, of course, it's ILS only..

Anybody have an idea as to what could be the issue? Thanks! BTW, this is the "old" FSX boxed edition, NOT the Steam one.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

That sounds pretty odd! I usually get 25R for my landings and takeoffs. I normally use FSX weather updating every 15 minutes. Before you get any clearances while you are at the gate, do you bring up ATIS or press Shift+Z and check the wind direction? That should be the determining factor.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I use FSDreamTeam's KLAS. I almost always come in using the LNAV/VNAV/ILS for 25L/R. Takeoff for me is usually 01, or 25. Are you using default ATC? Do you, by chance, have multiple Afcads working for the same scenery?

Edit: I use Active Sky Next for real weather.

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

"One woman's chop is another man's turbulence"

I'd try using manual wx and set the wind so that 25L/R would be the normal choice.

If it doesn't give you the 25 runways... Hummm.. I'd generally suspect a wx program

when stuff like that happens. But setting it manually should make it ignore any wx

program. Particularly if you don't load the wx program with the sim.

Landing there, I get 25L most of the time. But they do give me the visual to 7L/R from

time to time.. Maybe every one out of five will be to 7L/R..

I use FSDreamTeam's KLAS. I almost always come in using the LNAV/VNAV/ILS for 25L/R. Takeoff for me is usually 01, or 25. Are you using default ATC? Do you, by chance, have multiple Afcads working for the same scenery?

Edit: I use Active Sky Next for real weather.

I don't know. I do know when I installed My Traffic Lite some time ago, I had double jetways and had to delete one of the afcads? Could that be it? (Deleted the wrong one? )

Also, even if I use default weather, calm, clear, etc, it STILL gives me RWY 7L...

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

All things being equal and with calm winds FSX will default to the runway with the closest heading to north.

To get ATC to assign another runway you need to have winds, usually in excess of 16 knots I believe, or have a crosswind afcad. With a CW afcad FSX will usually assign the closest runway for departure. Actually it is the runway with the closest extended center line which might not be the closest departure threshold.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

All things being equal and with calm winds FSX will default to the runway with the closest heading to north.

To get ATC to assign another runway you need to have winds, usually in excess of 16 knots I believe, or have a crosswind afcad. With a CW afcad FSX will usually assign the closest runway for departure. Actually it is the runway with the closest extended center line which might not be the closest departure threshold.

peace,

the Bean

It doesn't seem to matter what I do Bean. Wind, no wind, crosswind, no crosswind, night time, day time, etc.

Something seems amiss to me. Especially considering I did a quick flight (Los Angeles to Vegas) in the default 747. RWY 7L is shorter than 25, so imagine being told "Cleared visual approach RWY 7L".....I think the brakes blew on that landing....lol

Maybe re-install the scenery for the area. It does seem from what you say the default runway assignment is not right. If you temporarily disable the add-on scenery so the default is in effect and you get the correct runway for the winds, then again, looks like the scenery at fault. If I remember right from my ASN testing days, the ATC deviates from the default runway when the wind direction is over 90 degrees off and over 6 knots.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Have you updated the download for both the scenery and Addon Manager from FSDT? (I am still curious if you have multiple Afcads installed)

KLAS v1.3.4.0

Addon Manager v3.0.0.3

Edit: I know you are not a novice. Just trying to think outside the box and help you

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

Maybe re-install the scenery for the area. It does seem from what you say the default runway assignment is not right. If you temporarily disable the add-on scenery so the default is in effect and you get the correct runway for the winds, then again, looks like the scenery at fault. If I remember right from my ASN testing days, the ATC deviates from the default runway when the wind direction is over 90 degrees off and over 6 knots.

-Pv-

I'm going to disable the Megascenery Earth Nevada and see. Perhaps that too is conflicting in some way?

Have you updated the download for both the scenery and Addon Manager from FSDT? (I am still curious if you have multiple Afcads installed)

KLAS v1.3.4.0

Addon Manager v3.0.0.3

Edit: I know you are not a novice. Just trying to think outside the box and help you

And I appreciate that. I'll try that too. Thanks.

*EDIT* Just had a thought. When I set up my default flight, it was an actual flight plan. I.e., plane is sitting at gate, cold and dark, but a flight plan was already loaded, INCLUDING weather. Could this be something to look at? I'm going to set up a new default flight with NO plan and find out.... Will report back in a few!

Ok, none of those ideas worked. One thing I noticed, when I'm requesting takeoff with no flight plan filed, and try to change runways, I only get three choices: RWY 1L,1R, or 19L.

RWY 25L/R are NOT on that list. Now I feel something is screwy...

Back in the day, when I installed an AI plane program, it came with its own set of afcads. I know I keep asking, but something similar to this happened to me, and low-and-behold, I had hidden in the install directory of the AI program duplicate afcads for MANY airports, including the one I was trying to fly in and out of. I have never used MyTraffic, so I cannot say for that program. But, it stands to reason that the AI would need paths to follow, and gates to dock at. Does it use default FSX afcads, or does it install its own for functionality?

Edit: it is also possible that FSDT updated theirs, and this could be the culprit, especially if it is a recent occurrence.

Timberleaf

Back in the day, when I installed an AI plane program, it came with its own set of afcads. I know I keep asking, but something similar to this happened to me, and low-and-behold, I had hidden in the install directory of the AI program duplicate afcads for MANY airports, including the one I was trying to fly in and out of. I have never used MyTraffic, so I cannot say for that program. But, it stands to reason that the AI would need paths to follow, and gates to dock at. Does it use default FSX afcads, or does it install its own for functionality?

Edit: it is also possible that FSDT updated theirs, and this could be the culprit, especially if it is a recent occurrence.

Yes, MyTraffic included its own AFCADS. Checked FSDT's forums, but nobody there has the same issue as I do.

What would you suggest I try next? I thought I deleted the afcads that came with My Traffic. (Actually I renamed them. Changed the .bgl to .bgs, for example, so it's still there, just not read by the sim)

I would suggest literally creating a "backup copy" of the MyTraffic Afcads, if they are readily available to you to do so, to the desktop, then delete them entirely from the MyTraffic directory they are expected to be. Renaming may not eliminate them from being used. I know that this can be argued, but deleting them from the active directory they are being read is the best route.

If this doesn't solve the issue, then I am not sure, and will have to think some more. I also remember having an issue with Megascenery Las Vegas back in the day when I purchased FSDT KLAS. I quit using MegaScenery Las Vegas a long time ago.

Edit: I also realize Afcad is an FS9 term for which I am still (after this many years) stuck using. The correct term would be AFD (Airport Facility Data). At any rate, it is - to me - the same thing, even though the information is compiled with a different program these days.

Timberleaf

That sounds pretty odd! I usually get 25R for my landings and takeoffs. I normally use FSX weather updating every 15 minutes. Before you get any clearances while you are at the gate, do you bring up ATIS or press Shift+Z and check the wind direction? That should be the determining factor.

OK! Turned off the external weather program I had been using (in this case, the freeware FSWX program), put default weather updated every 15 minutes like Zip said, and bingo, "taxi to and hold short runway 25R". Soooo........looks like the external weather program I was using was the culprit!

However, I wish to thank Timberleaf and everybody else who helped! I now have some ideas what to check in the future should anything else go awry. Thanks again and "cleared for takeoff!"

Peace to you and yours, and my the sunset find you "riding" toward it tonight. Cheers!

Timberleaf

Archived