Elevator Trim Wheel

Egsjr1956

This subject has been bugging me for a long time. I know its been addressed in many forums, but if I may I would like to try to reword the question in an attempt to finally put it to rest. The trim wheel on the A2A (I own the 172 & 182) moves very slow, while the rest of my planes move at a faster speed. And the amount of trim I need is very high (A2A 172 average 53% of trim.

The trim wheel:

1) Is it suppose to move fast or slow while trimming?

2) How much trim on average are you suppose to be using?

So, in trying to stay realistic what is the correct way.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

1) The speed varies with the aircraft, but it should be fast enough to trim quickly and slow enough to allow precision trimming.

2) You trim until you no longer have to hold forward or back pressure to maintain the attitude/speed you want. The main reason for trim is so you don't get tired of holding pressure, and to make it easy to hold speed/attitude. Also, after a short time, you're no longer a good judge of how much pressure to hold (one of many human failings).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

53% is quite high, but of course there are so many factors that are at play ( CG, wing dynamics, weather, altitude etc.) when trimming your aircraft that you cant really say what normal is for that aircraft.
AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Archived