Windows 10

schick

Well, that little icon appeared in my taskbar, telling me to reserve my W10 download.

So can the Gods of FS advice if FSX can run on W10? Or should I wait a couple of months to check out the forums here for complaints of incompatibility?

HP ENVY Phoenix 810-192d

Windows 8.1 64bit

Intel® Core™ i7-4770 (3.4 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (1.5 GB GDDR5 dedicated), 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

My personal take is that if FSX runs on ANY OS created after IT was created consider yourself lucky. Same thought applies to add ons. Getting me to change to a new OS almost requires some sort of weapon.

I'd say the smart guy waits for the Lemmings to figure it out.

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

I agree. WAIT for someone else to install and experiment with Windows 10.

Further, and to the point, I am VERY wide-eyed, confused, suspicious of a multi-billion dollar company that has monopolized nearly all personal computer OS's for decades and NOW wants to GIVE for FREE their latest OS to everyone? Uhm, perhaps I missed something from the latest session of economics, but when a company gives its prize "stallion" away for free, something has to be in it for the parent company... it is too suspicious. There is a catch, a gimic, a carrot-on-a-stick... something.

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

"One woman's chop is another man's turbulence"

The catch or gimmick is "market share".

I have been running FSX and FSX-SE on Win 10. I have had no problems at all. Even my yoke, pedals and throttles were detected during the install.

Still, wise heads will wait to see if there are any problems with this mass roll out of Win10. You have a year to take up the offer.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

Is there any increase of performance? There have been ramblings of how 10 will work but it would be nice to know asap. Unless you are bound by an NDA or something, wouldn't want to cause trouble
AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) Socket FM2, BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85W FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600, ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-bit GDDR5, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Corsair H100i liquid cooling

...and NOW wants to GIVE for FREE their latest OS to everyone?

First off, they are not giving it to everyone.

There is a qualifying pool of current Windows users that qualify for the one year upgrade deal.

Those outside of the pool will have to pay for it.

If you buy a new PC that comes with Win 10 you will have paid for it through the PC manufacturer. They will not get it for free.

If you build a new PC and do not have a qualifying copy of an earlier version and want to install Win 10, you will have to pay for it.

If you wait until after the one year deal expires you will have to pay for it.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

First off, they are not giving it to everyone.

There is a qualifying pool of current Windows users that qualify for the one year upgrade deal.

Those outside of the pool will have to pay for it.

If you buy a new PC that comes with Win 10 you will have paid for it through the PC manufacturer. They will not get it for free.

If you build a new PC and do not have a qualifying copy of an earlier version and want to install Win 10, you will have to pay for it.

If you wait until after the one year deal expires you will have to pay for it.

peace,

the Bean

Bean,

As I understand it, after a year anyone, regardless of preconditions, who hasn't already bought 10 will have to pay for it! This, like free drugs from a pusher is just a way to get more people hooked!

MICROSOFT HAS NEVER EVER GIVEN ANYTHING AWAY!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Bean,

As I understand it, after a year anyone, regardless of preconditions, who hasn't already bought 10 will have to pay for it!

You understand incorrectly.

Never argue with idiots.

Every company has promotional campaigns to introduce new products. This is being used to increase the user base, get corporate users familiar with it, get user feedback while the OS is being refined. Like most promotionals, this has limited eligibility for obvious reasons.

"MICROSOFT HAS NEVER EVER GIVEN ANYTHING AWAY!!"

Certainly, nothing people will break down store windows to get, and nothing which will run on free operating systems.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Further, and to the point, I am VERY wide-eyed, confused, suspicious of a multi-billion dollar company that has monopolized nearly all personal computer OS's for decades and NOW wants to GIVE for FREE their latest OS to everyone? Uhm, perhaps I missed something from the latest session of economics, but when a company gives its prize "stallion" away for free, something has to be in it for the parent company... it is too suspicious. There is a catch, a gimic, a carrot-on-a-stick... something.

Nothing to be so suspicious of. Microsoft wants to get as many people as possible onto the new OS. Historically people would buy a new computer every couple of years and get the latest version of Windows with it. However, the last few years have seen people upgrading computers less often as outside of gaming, there is little need for buying a new computer as regularly. Also, the vast majority of Windows licences were made up of new OEM and enterprise purchases, relatively few bought the retail or upgrade editions. So giving away free upgrades to current users won't really hurt the bottom line, and will encourage more people to move to the latest version. They really don't want to end up with another XP situation.

Another factor is the world has changed too. Google, Facebook and Apple (all of Apple's OS updates have been free for a number of years now too) are slowly moving people over to Web based services and mobile computing, both of which Microsoft has some catching up to do. And the need for a Windows machine isn't quite as high as it used to be.

Greetings,

As a Tech Consultant for a major retailer I would like to offer the following link which answers just about all questions regarding the Windows 10 upgrade. Users of Enterprise versions of W7 /W8/ and W8.1 will not get the free upgrade. Hopefully this link will answer a lot of your questions:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Les

Theoretically, the price of the products, and the good will the updates created encouraging you to purchase more products pays for the updates. You certainly wouldn't be getting any if you had not purchased anything.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Funny you mention a horse.....The ancient greeks might have had a thought on this subject.

I'm getting the July 29th upgrade for this computer. The icon has not shown up for my laptop or my 2nd flight sim computer but I know why and I'm working on that. I really liked XP and then win 7 but the computer nerd in me can't wait to get 10. If it was up to me I'd still be using win 2000. That was my all time favorite.:pilot:

I got the W10 invite also, but my rig runs FSX smooth as silk on W7-64, so why rock the boat? I would only consider changing the OS if MS announced that they were no longer going to support W7 like they did with XP. I'm going to wait and see what others have to say about the new OS, and how well FSX runs in it.
Asus X99-A | i7-5930k 6 core OC @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA GTX 980 | 16Gb Corsair DDR4-2133 | Corsair H110 cooler | 256Gb SSD (OS Win 7-64) | 2X 500Gb SSD (FSX main & FSX scenery) | WD 1Tb Blue (Storage) | Corsair HX 850W PSU | Corsair 760T Full Tower

I would only consider changing the OS if MS announced that they were no longer going to support W7 like they did with XP.

Win 7 Mainstream Support ended on 13 Jan of this year.

For Extended Support you are good until 2020.

This assumes you have SP1 installed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

For Extended Support you are good until 2020.

Thanks for the link. As long as I can continue to receive security updates, I'm not going to worry about mainstream support.

Rich

Asus X99-A | i7-5930k 6 core OC @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA GTX 980 | 16Gb Corsair DDR4-2133 | Corsair H110 cooler | 256Gb SSD (OS Win 7-64) | 2X 500Gb SSD (FSX main & FSX scenery) | WD 1Tb Blue (Storage) | Corsair HX 850W PSU | Corsair 760T Full Tower

You understand incorrectly.

I've been down this trail time and again since being a beta user of '85 & haven't found any free rides yet. I hope you're right but, We'll see.

IMHO: They may not say you owe X dollars for 10, but there will almost certainly be multiple reasons to cut yet another check anyway. Microsoft nor anyone else are in business to provide freebies except as loss leader full purchase drivers.

I got the W10 invite also, but my rig runs FSX smooth as silk on W7-64, so why rock the boat? I would only consider changing the OS if MS announced that they were no longer going to support W7 like they did with XP. I'm going to wait and see what others have to say about the new OS, and how well FSX runs in it.

Bout the same here.. If it ain't broke, I'm not in a hurry to fix it. I didn't worry much

about security with XP. I have pretty good AV and such, and things were still about

as secure as the present, and running Win 7. And I had multiple boot drives in case of

mayhem.

The main reason I switched to Win 7 64 was to get the increased VAS for FSX.

Now that I have my VAS, I'm good for now. Win 10 may well pan out to be a decent

FSX OS, but I'm not going to be one of the guinea pigs to be the first to try it. :p

I got the upgrade alert, but I already uninstalled that update, so don't see it any

more. This puter will be Win 7 for a good while longer.

microsoft doesn't gives it's updates away - I have to pay for them?

You already did by buying the product. The updates are mostly because their products obviously never have been ready for the market when introduced. We spend hours trying to make it work as they said it would before we bought it.

Microsoft really should be paying us for troubleshooting their products all these years. If we had bought any other product with as many bugs as Windows has had over the years and with every new edition, the consumer protection people would have been all over them.

We don't pay "extra" for tech support (though we pay for it.) MS knows their software isn't perfect. No one makes perfect software. Also, every user has what they consider different standards as to what they consider usable or not, thus the EULA we all sign off on.

In order to give us software which doesn't cost us $10,000 and a wait time of 10 years, we get "work in progress" which satisfied MS's internal acceptance testing and the goals of the developers/programmers and bean counters who set delivery limits on the product knowing full well 1000 users in the wild will discover more items needing polish than a dozen testers and an automation acceptance pass would be able to find.

If you find software which has as many features as this, is as graphically intense, costs less, and it still viable 10 years later, you have discovered rare software.

You will be amazed how many people sign up for free Alphas and Betas knowing full well they will be sacrificing their time on buggy software because they are either curious or can't wait for their dreams to come true.

Thousands of people will flood the order desk to get the latest new OS knowing full well it will be another two years before the new OS finally hits its stride with stability, fully working new features, and exploit resistance.

Everyone knows this stuff. In the industry it's called "Agile" development and it's driven by user demand who won't have it any other way. There might be a few people willing to wait a year more for a new product, but if you visit forums discussing new ENTERTAINMENT software, the hew and cry for YESTERDAY is intense and will never go away. The software which gets delivered the fastest starts earning money for the company sooner which pays the checks for the developers and keeps the company in business.

-Pv-

FSX will not dictate anything around here. I am the dictator.

Under the present conditions outlined by MS on their new Win 10 introduction, I'll give it a fair chance. I own Win 7 and that's the hallmark Win 10 has to overcome. If it doesn't work, Win 7 will return back to my PC. And that is that and that simple.

We shall see,

I just bought a 500 g Samsung SSD. Thinking i might download the Windows 10 preview and put it on the new drive to see if i will like it. If so, In July i can use the real windows 10 and add fsx steam to the ssd. Does this plan make sense to you pros out there?

Currently have both the boxed and steam fsx on a 1.5 g hdd.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Archived