Gary harper for president. Or prime minister. King, even!

A few weeks ago I posted several requests on various forums for an Ethiopian Air Lines paint for Manfred Jahn's amazing C-47 V2. It was of more than passing interest to me because I was there (in Ethiopia) as a teenager when this particular livery was in use- my Dad was an Ethiopian Air Lines C-47 Captain, and I got to fly with him several times.

I got a note from Gary Harper saying that he would make one. However, what he made is so highly-detailed and accurate that I'm just blown away!

The file is ethc47corrected.zip and it is available here.

Here's the proof of Gary's outstanding work:

Taxiing for takeoff at Cairo International

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/Hoggy_Dog/2015-5-26_19-22-58-933.png

Initial climb from Runway 5

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/Hoggy_Dog/2015-5-26_19-30-26-978.png

Climbing out toward the VOR to pick up the 160 radial to Luxor

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/Hoggy_Dog/2015-5-26_19-36-5-854.png

Turning on course, downtown Cairo in the background

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/Hoggy_Dog/2015-5-26_19-37-3-940.png

Closeup of this STUNNING paint

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/Hoggy_Dog/2015-5-26_19-39-43-787.png

Leveling out at enroute altitude of 9,000, waving "so long" as I get my first cup of coffee :pilot:

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/Hoggy_Dog/2015-5-26_19-46-13-768.png

Thank you, Gary! You rock! :D

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Super Nice! Amazing paint great shots!

David :pilot: ...

"Remember, All you have to do is ask."

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/10/25/windows10signaturecopy.jpghttp://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/helicoptero_animado_2.gif

Outstanding work Gary. And you, you lucky Dogg ;)

(4/16/19) ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop. I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, FSX:SE, Oculus rift, Windows 10

(Built 03/08): GA-EP35C-DS3R, Q6600 (oc=3.4Ghz), 8GB (4x2) DDR2 1066, Corsair 850W, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro; FSX Gold+Accel+REX+UTXUSA+UTXTAC+MegaSc MN

I didn't remember this until I installed Gary's paint that I also had an Ethiopian C-47 done by Andre Reimers! They're both beautiful paints, so I'm keeping them both. :)

At Cairo circa 1964.

Click to enlarge.

Ethiopian ET-AHQ .jpg

Larry

I didn't remember this until I installed Gary's paint that I also had an Ethiopian C-47 done by Andre Reimers! They're both beautiful paints, so I'm keeping them both. :)

At Cairo circa 1964.

Holy cow! What airplane is that livery made to fit????? I'm going to find it and use it, thanks for telling me! I searched and searched for any Ethiopian livery at all and never found this!

The livery in your beautiful screenie is newer than the one Gary Harper just did for me- the livery you are showing was current when I left there (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) in 1958. We got a new DC-6B, and a new livery was designed for them. During 1957 and 1958, all the C-47's were updated to that new livery, which is the same version shown in your screenshot. the older livery is the one on the VBF Convair 240 I've posted shots of, as well as the stunning one for the C-47 that Gary Harper just made, shown in this thread.

There are several differences between the two liveries, but the easiest way to distinguish them at a glance is that the newer livery did NOT have any lettering on the fin, while the older one had white lettering E A L on the fin, overlaid on top of the corresponding Amharic symbols in black.

So your beautiful screenshot above shows a livery that I wish I had!

So thanks for the nostalgic Cairo scene, it's gorgeous, and thanks for the lead on the other EAL llivery!! :D

EDIT:

I did a Google search for 'Ethiopian Andre Reimers' and found only this:

EthiopianLiverySearchAndreReimers.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Withdrawn? WITHDRAWN??? Why would a flight simulator repaint be "withdrawn?" Did it reach its "best if used by" date? I've got to find this livery now that I know it exists! Curse you, Red Baron! (etc. etc.)

Also, the link I found (above) is a dead link. Clicking it brings me to a FlightSim Error 404 page. :mad:

RE-EDIT: I found the blurb that had the "Withdrawn" statement in it, and it was referring to the real world airplane being withdrawn from service, not the FS repaint being withdrawn from FlightSim. Still, the repaint is not available on FlightSim, AVSIM or Sim Outhouse, nor does Google know where it might be found. So please, if anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know.

Thank you all. Manfred's C-47 is the real work of art.

Gary, I can't argue with that, been flying it almost exclusively since I got it, but the quality and workmanship of your paint are just over the top.

Thank you again for doing it.

Doug

This later repaint of the Ethiopian C47 is not by Andre Reimers. I'm the author and this repaint was given to Andre since he asked for it. If you got this from Andre directly, then it was given to you without my permission and you are not allowed to pass it on either without asking. His own site does not even show this Ethiopian repaint and I doubt that he or anyone else who may have this repaint has ever uploaded it to any sim site, nor do I ever upload my works to any site since I keep them at my own site.

rfg, I know I didn't get it directly from Andre Reimers, but I know I must have downloaded it from one of the flight sim sites. I have searched the three sites I normally use, but have been unable to find it anywhere. This is the description from the readme file:

description=CN/4607 built as a C47-DL in 1942 for the USAF serial #41-185144.

Model & textures: Manfred Jahn's Douglas C-47 Base Pack Repaint by Andre Reimers.

If you PM me with your name I will change the information to reflect you as the painter. If you would rather I not use the paint at all I will delete it from my system. I do think it is a very nice paint.

Larry

Larry,

I have no problem in you keeping the repaint and no need to change anything until I find what is actually happening, just do not give to anyone else without asking. The only place that this was uploaded for a short period more than two years ago along with all of my other repaints was to CalClassic and Andre had this repaint way before that and I know that you are also a member of CalClassics. I'm not accusing you of anything, it's rather odd that you say that you got it from one of the sim sites that you visit, but all of a sudden it's nowhere to be found. Like I said before, I never have uploaded any of my works to any sim site (I use my own site), with the exception of the one time to CalClassics. Your description is exactly as my original. If you can, can you please post screens of the C47_1_T.bmp, C47-2_T.bmp plus the aircraft cfg that was included in the repaint that you downloaded so I can take a look at it. I'm aware that sometimes the same repaint gets done by other painters, but in this case, this doesn't smell right. If I'm wrong, I'll man up, if not, I'll deal with Andre when I have the time.

RFG

• Founder

A simple search, using the FlightSim.Com file library search instead of Google, turned up the file you are talking about:

FS2004 Liberian National Airways Douglas C-47

[ Download | View ]

Name: douglas_c-47_lna_el-aaz.zip

Size: 4,297,763 Date: 09-16-2014 Downloads: 85

FS2004 Liberian National Airways Douglas C-47, c/n 11652. Delivered to USAF as 42-68725 in March 1943. To Pan American World Airways in August 1949 as NC49552 then to Liberian National Airways in March 1955 as EL-AAZ. Transferred to Liberian National Airlines in 1965. Sold to Ethiopian Airlines in March 1976 as ET-AGG. Withdrawn in 1979 and used for ground instruction. Prior installation of Manfred Jahn's Douglas C47 base pack is required (C-47_BASEPACK_FS9.ZIP). Repaint by Andre Reimers.

A simple search, using the FlightSim.Com file library search instead of Google, turned up the file you are talking about:

FS2004 Liberian National Airways Douglas C-47

[ Download | View ]

Name: douglas_c-47_lna_el-aaz.zip

Size: 4,297,763 Date: 09-16-2014 Downloads: 85

FS2004 Liberian National Airways Douglas C-47, c/n 11652. Delivered to USAF as 42-68725 in March 1943. To Pan American World Airways in August 1949 as NC49552 then to Liberian National Airways in March 1955 as EL-AAZ. Transferred to Liberian National Airlines in 1965. Sold to Ethiopian Airlines in March 1976 as ET-AGG. Withdrawn in 1979 and used for ground instruction. Prior installation of Manfred Jahn's Douglas C47 base pack is required (C-47_BASEPACK_FS9.ZIP). Repaint by Andre Reimers.

I don't think that is the texture in question.

This is the JPEG from that download.

el-aaz1.jpg

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

RFG & Nels,

No that is not the paint - it was Ethiopian ET-AHQ.

Looking at my C-47 texture install dates ET-AHQ was installed on 9/23/2014. I also downloaded a number of other C-47 paints at the same time, most of them African airlines. I may have downloaded them several days earlier and may not have installed them right away, but I am 99 percent certain that I got the ET-AHQ C-47 from flightsim.com. I have done multiple searches on flighsim.com and Avsim.com for it yesterday and still cannot find it. CalClassic doesn't have the C-47 for download. In any case here are shots of the two files you asked for and a copy of the readme file with the aircraft.cfg. I usually edit the aircraft.cfg files in order to maintain a standard format, so it may not look like the original. I always try to keep the designer and painter information included so I can include credits when I post screen shots.

readme file dated 11/8/2012:

Replace [fltsim.xx]with your next consecutive number. Textures are for the Fs9

version.

NOTE: repaint includes an optional texture set where there is no red outline on

the pax window and on the doors.

[fltsim.xx]

Title=Douglas C-47 Skytrain Ethiopian 1964

Sim=Douglas_DC3

Model=C47_2

Panel=

Sound=

Texture=ETH_64

kb_checklists=Douglas_DC3_check

kb_reference=Douglas_DC3_ref

atc_id=ETAHQ

atc_airline=ETHIOPIAN

atc_flight_number=112

atc_parking_codes=MDG //ETH ?

atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP

ui_manufacturer=DOUGLAS

ui_type="C-47 Skytrain"

ui_variation=Ethiopian 1964

ui_typerole=Twin Engine Prop

ui_createdby=Microsoft Corporation

prop_anim_ratio=0.99

description=CN/4607 built as a C47-DL in 1942 for the USAF serial #41-185144.

Model & textures: Manfred Jahn's Douglas C-47 Base Pack Repaint by Andre

Reimers.

C47_1_T & C47_2_T

Click to enlarge.

C47_1_T.jpg

C47_2_T.jpg

Hope this helps.

Larry

Larry,

Thanks for posting the screens. Here are my originals dated 4-12-2011, and as you will see, these are my textures. The interior of the aircraft shows my textures which I use on all of my propliners repaints, plus all of my C47 paints has the green area where the flaps retract. While CalClassics may not host Manfred's C47 as you say, this repaint was posted at CalClassics as I stated in my previous post. Believe me, I know my work as I'm sure many repainter's can tell what they do.

Again, my repaint has never been uploaded to any sim site by me. If someone or Andre uploaded this repaint as their own, then it was done illegally. I've been in this hobby for close to 30 odd years, am an avid forum reader of all the major sim sites everyday and I have never seen this repaint uploaded anywhere. I will accept that you think that you got this paint at FlightSim. You can change the author of this repaint to Frank Gonzalez, but you are not allowed to pass it on without my consent.

RFG

http://tripletails.weebly.com/

My screens: click to enlarge at PhotoBucket

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk183/eagle526/1%20My%20readme.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk183/eagle526/2.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk183/eagle526/3.jpg

Oh that wonderful most pretty texture there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Desktop: Cybertron AMD cpu, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 , MS Windows 10 DirectX 12, ASUS 24" 1920x1080. Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 (a since 10:43 PM 7/24/2018). New 2019 "PATRIOT" Memory VIPER DDR3 8GB x2 XMP2.0

FSX SE "FOR FSIM USE ONLY"

OK, Now I know where I saw the picture of the C-47 in the Ethiopian texture! It was the Tripletails.weebly site. I noticed no download available and it mentioned having to be a member, so no info was passed on to HoggyDog about it.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Frank,

I see what you mean - an exact match, and I can understand why you would be upset. I appreciate you letting me keep the textures and I have changed the paint credit to you. As I am currently working my way up the East African coast and I'll probably be using ET-AHQ maybe out of Nairobi (I lived there for two years in the early 70s).

I'm no detective, but I have been wondering if it might be possible that the ET-AHQ textures could have been posted in error by the other author and when the error was discovered a system administrator was asked to remove them from the files. That could explain why they cannot be recovered now as I am very sure I got them here.

I visited your website and there are a number of beautiful paints there, but I saw no way to download anything. Having noted your upload policy and with this recent event I can understand your position. It all clicks in my mind now (old as it is - 72), I remember seeing various posts over at CalClassics, "How do I get Frank's paints of (you name it they want it).

I have in fact been asked for the ET-AHQ textures by the originator of this thread, "HoggyDog" (Doug). He has been searching far and wide also. His father flew for Ethiopian during the 50s/60s. However due to questions as to the authenticity of the author I have declined. With your permission may I now forward the textures to him? I know he would be very appreciative.

If I can be of any further help please let me know.

Larry

rfg, I know I didn't get it directly from Andre Reimers, but I know I must have downloaded it from one of the flight sim sites. I have searched the three sites I normally use, but have been unable to find it anywhere.

Larry, I believe that this paint was on FlightSim at one time under Andre Reimers' name. Please see the pic earlier in this thread showing the Google search results when I searched on "Ethiopian Andre Reimer" after reading your post with snapshot "Cairo 1964" earlier in this thread. I believe my search results pic also shows the old FlightSim file/thread number. It is now a dead link, returns Error 404 Not Found.

-Doug

Archived