Basic question about SPST switches

ace8

I am new to panel design and electronics in general, but I've brought myself up to speed on the basics over the last couple months. I'm thinking about getting one of the USB encoders from Desktop Aviator, but I'm trying to figure out why one would use a SPST toggle switch (not push button) with any of these. When the switch is on, it sends a pulse to the board and whatever subsequent command to FSX/FSUIPC, got it. But when the switch is off how would FSX know that I'm intending to toggle the command, since all it's doing is opening the circuit? I totally understand why a SPDT switch would work in this situation, but not SPST, however DA advertises that these boards would work great with SPST toggle switches.

What am I missing?

Ok, nevermind I figured it out. It turns out DA accounts for this in the programming of the board itself. I thought it was a basic circuit issue, but the board is actually programmed to send a pulse when the circuit is closed AND to send a pulse when the circuit is opened. That's all there is to it.

Correct. In flight sim most commands are click once for ON; click again for OFF. So, by pulsing whenever the physical SPST switch is moved, that satisfies the sim's requirements.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

• 2 weeks later...
Keep in mind that with FSUIPC, you can use a SPST toggle as though it were a DPDT toggle because you have the ability to assign a key to be pressed when the "Button" is "Released". So you can actually assign commands like Landing gear down to the "Off" position of a SPST toggle. Or basically you can get a function to happen on both the on and off positions.

Ricardo

FSThrottle.com

Archived