Help! Microsoft FSX won't load!!

gpry

During installation of new add-on scenery, I somehow have caused the Folder Texture to disappear. When starting MSFX, I get the

error message "Scenery read error. Attempting to open a non existent directory. c/program files (86) /microsoft games/MSFX/texture.

Click OK to continue." I click OK and MSFX opens on the Free Flight page. I make a selection, click Fly now , but all that happens is

the appearance of my desktop. It seems that after loading terrain data, scenery, weather etc. MSFX shuts down and reverts back

to the Desktop. What can I do? I use Windows 7 OS. Please Advise. Thanks.

gpry.

If it's actually gone from it's normal location, you probably snagged it with the

mouse and accidentally moved it if you were in the file manager.

Check your C: drive for a texture folder sitting out all alone. Or maybe it's sitting in

another program folder where it got dropped. Maybe try a search for "texture" and see

if it comes up.

... try a search for "texture" and see

if it comes up.

That is a good idea except there might be hundreds of texture folders to look through.

Try searching for coast0.0 , zeros not ohs.

If you find it, and I doubt there will be many copies, open it's containing folder and see where it got moved to.

It should be in ...\FSX\Texture.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Where is Flight Simulator installed?

Is FSX.exe in :

C:/program files (86) /microsoft games/MSFX/

or is it in :

C:/program files (86) /microsoft games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

During installation of new add-on scenery, I somehow have caused the Folder Texture to disappear. When starting MSFX, I get the

error message "Scenery read error. Attempting to open a non existent directory. c/program files (86) /microsoft games/MSFX/texture.

Click OK to continue." I click OK and MSFX opens on the Free Flight page. I make a selection, click Fly now , but all that happens is

the appearance of my desktop. It seems that after loading terrain data, scenery, weather etc. MSFX shuts down and reverts back

to the Desktop. What can I do? I use Windows 7 OS. Please Advise. Thanks.

gpry.

If you deleted your texture folder and don't have a backup, it is lost now. In theory you can recover deleted files, but only if you shut down your PC right after the fact and use an external tool for recovery. Every moment you are using your PC after the deletion, the sectors on the disk containing the original information get overwritten more and more .

Three options:

- Repair FSX using the disks. There are forum posts around about how to do this

- Remove then reinstall FSX completely

- Install FSX on a different computer, copy the textures folder on an USB stick and then move it into your own FSX installation. You only need to install FSX on the other PC, not activate it. All you want is the texture files. It can be removed right after you got them.

All three have in common, that you will get the stock textures back. Any texture addon will have to be reinstalled (like GEX, FTX Global, FScene).

Oh, and make sure there are no other files missing...

Archived