Why isn't there any good AI software?

Your not looking hard enough!

AVSIM Library

Category: Flight Simulator X - Utilities

Comprehensive AI Flight Planner Version 2 FS9,FSX, P3D, PD3v2 Compatible

After install update with Help tab....

AI Flight Planner Version 3.1.09 Released.

Army Engineer Veteran..Busted for insubordination Nam-1966 :cool:

Everything I have seen is either out of date, or pirated! Why cant someone, payware or freeware, make a good, regularly updated ai software!

Payware seems to be pretty good in that respect. There are more or less regular updates for UT2 and there was a new version of MyTraffic recently that is supposed to be pretty current. Nothing really up to date though - small wonder as it is such a huge amount of work to put those schedules together.

Flight Simming is a niche hobby, and AI traffic is a niche within that niche - in other words there's not much of a market in it. Put piracy on top of a thin market with slim pickings, and you have your answer. If people didn't thieve stuff so readily I expect there'd be more life in it.

As it is, with TTools or AIFP, and ADE, and the volunteer flightplanners (you could always join them?) there is enough to keep AI viable. For me the one thing I miss is a way to have business or VIP/Royal flights (jets, props and heavies) operating on believable but varying schedules, which might make for a few nice surprises at airports. Also a few modellers tend not to release viable AI planes for whatever reason, and I think without at least some flow of new things to see, the sim environment can get a bit stale. I've been away from FS for a few years because of that, especially in the GA area.

I have been very active in the FS freeware scene, and one of the demoralising things for developers is the sense that they're part of a steadily diminishing group of proactive enthusiasts. Based on my own feelings, I'd say that developers need to feel that they're part of a thriving and dynamic community, and it's everybody's responsibility to make it that way rather than being a hanger-on, "be part of the solution" as people love to say these days.

I also tend to think that the fragmentation of the developers (due to personality clashes or other disputes) into separate micro-sites has tended to dilute the sense of focus that was present in the heyday of Project AI, where everything AI was pretty much under one roof. Some developers simply lost interest, of course.

There's plenty to do. FS is at that point now where enthusiasts and volunteers will keep the hobby alive, and there are far fewer now than in the glory days of Project AI, when the whole idea was finding its feet. The problem is that now volunteers are needed more than ever. It's a hobby, it's something we do when we're not short on time, so as I see it there's no such thing as "too busy to help make a flightplan", and put something in.

I guess I am not very picky as what I have is great for me....My Traffic the latest version....The most real aircraft in my town of Tucson is down at Davis Monthan AFB and their "Graveyard" which you are not supposed to call it that and the Tucson International Airport...but I ain't driving down there today to look at it ....My Traffic will have to get me thru the day...LOL...al v

I guess I am not very picky as what I have is great for me..

This is what it basically comes down to, people can either make an AI repaint for each aircraft in an airline's fleet and turn the sim into a virtual spotting tool, or they can just get some nice generic traffic moving about that they need to interact with in a believable way (even the Orbit & Soar stuff at a pinch). Question is how much effort we are prepared to put in, and that varies across the board from "meh" to obsessive!

Forget Traffic 360 or MyTraffic. Both are full of uncoordinated flights with AI staying for days at airports. The sole reliable way to create realistic AI flightplans would be to base them on real airline operational plans. Everything else is pure wishful thinking!

When you think about the logistics of just creating AI flight plans of just one carrier, its a mindboggling amount of work, let alone having regular updates for just that one airline then the task takes on a whole new level. Now times that by the number of major international airlines, passenger and cargo, chuck in the domestic carriers, and you soon find that you have a fulltime job on your hands.

If you could get a group together that would handle a airline each then perhaps you might achieve a result of some description.

Me I am happy with my outdated AI, it still has the correct airlines, international and domestic, the correct aircraft types, going to the correct airports all at regular times day and night, I am not so fussed if a flight leaves at a time that isn't a real world scheduled time during the day, in saying that there is a DHL 757 that I don't think has left NZAA ever, but hey even that's ok, there is more than enough AI traffic to cope with as it is without adding a big yellow beast in to the mix.

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Trafic 360. . civee , general, airline , military. .its editable. .well when i an work it out that is

does the job what more do you want ?

Lots, actually. Like you know, up to date textures (it still uses world tails on BAW...) up to date flight plans.... That sorta stuff?

Intel i7 fourth gen (3.5ghz) 16GB RAM EVGA GTX660 Windows 10 64bit Pro edition

You asked why. The thing is, using a flight planner i can easily make a nice schedule, and download nice aircraft for it. I could even use payware aircraft in the trafficplan to make it look better if i wanted.

But sharing it would not do much good. Chances are others still won't like the schedule. They would find destinations missing. Or want traffic for a different season.

Furthermore, i can't share the aircraft with it in a complete package. They aren't mine.

Simple really when you think about it.

If you wan't better traffic, create your own plans.

I can't be to bothered and use a mix of sources. WOAI - some aircraft i replaced with better looking ones. I'm also going to create some night flights for the existing woai traffic.

MAIW - not much yet.

Own traffic. Antonov225 traffic, fa18 sorties, etc.

Even a few boats cruising the seas.

I have a feeling you would find fault with anything. Even a pack with worldwide coverage, every possible airline, and shiny aircraft, would not be for you.

You would say, why all those unknown airlines, to many gigabytes, and the shiny aircraft drag the framerates down so much you can't set the traffic slider high and never see more then one or two aircraft.

Make your own traffic, it's a lot of fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived