Reinstall FS2004 because UT sucks!

drake4896

I am tired of 3rd party addons not lining up with UT (landmark buildings and bridges). 3rd party scenery is for the default setup and UT is making everything just a ridiculous mess of things. I have tried turning off UT but the bridges (for sure) have all seemed to have shifted.

I want to do a new install of FS2004 fresh and start all over again.

I have read to rename the old install and just reinstall FS2004. If I do that will have to delete FSUIPC, FScaptain and FSNavigator and then reinstall them as well?

Thanks for any help on how to do this.

Drake

No need to uninstall anything, including UT. What you need is QLRP4UT, or The "Quantumleap Repositioning Project for Ultimate Terrain". This neat installer re-positions bridges, buildings, landmarks and autogen to align with UT USA, Canada and Europe. Full instructions are included.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks tiger1962 but that still will not fix my addon scenery from Flightsim. I was adding some Hawaii scenery today and the boats docked at Waikiki are all on land (as an example). I have repeatedly had this issue since getting it. It is great as a stand alone but is not compatible with the sim community scenery creators.

Add-on sceneries usually state whether they are UT compatible or for default only, and there are patches available for many payware sceneries. A google search for FS2004 UT USA Hawaii should find the compatible ones for you, both freeware and payware.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks tiger1962. I'm not looking for payware (that's why I am at Flightsim) as FS is a hobby for me. It is great to have this site as well as others for the community to come together and share their work with other simmers for free.

It's the freeware modders that made FS have such a success in the beginning and a shame to now a days see Payware companies come along and steal their ideas, package them and then make a buck off of it. Yea, I know they didn't steal it out right JUST sort of .... lol (same thing in my book).

UT basically limits the addons I can install and use and that is big turn off (it should be noted in their advertising too). They should have matched the land mass to the sim. What they did sounds good with using correct plotting of the land mass but truly was a Big Mistake on their part as it is totally out of step with probably 90 percent or more of simmers.

And I do have a new FS9 install up and working with no problems. I will ghost this new install and start a second version of FS9 and use Golden Wings with it.

Regards

Drake

UT basically limits the addons I can install and use

Not really, UT is very easy to turn off if you want to use non-UT compatible addons.

They should have matched the land mass to the sim.

That is the major point of UT, to give us a more accurate representation of the real world.

Not the simplified version that came with the sim.

What they did sounds good with using correct plotting of the land mass but truly was a Big Mistake on their part as it is totally out of step with probably 90 percent or more of simmers.

More accurately, what they did was show that 90% of the sim addons (your figures) do not match the real world.

And this is the Catch 22 of the sim addons, where making one aspect of the sim look more realistic has a negative impact on other parts of the sim.

Products like UT make the sim look more like what you see looking out the window of a real plane. For some of us this is what we want and if that means not being able to use some other addons, so be it.

Also remember that the vast majority of freeware addons for FS9 were made before UT was released.

Not to mention the hundreds of addons that do not work without UT.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This is a "problem" with any expansive add-on. Everyone will agree aftermarket meshes are a great improvement over defaults, but many add-on airports will not be compatible with them (the other side of the coin is the many airports designed for a specific mesh which will not display correctly on default scenery).

There are three basic solutions -

A - "learn to live with it"

B - spend ages seeking and trying compatible add-ons

3 - learn the basics of one of the freeware scenery design programs and correct the various anomalies as you find them

If you have the time and patience for B, seriously consider the last option; then you will be able to use virtually any scenery you like with any other scenery. Most issues are merely graphic so you needn't learn all the nuances of creating a well functioning airport, though no doubt you will pick up quite a bit along the way.

Hi JGF

Yep, I got the time as I am now retired for B.

I have seen airports raised a bit up like they are on a plateau with my upgraded mesh. I can still land on them and it is not an issue. I have flown to a couple airports sunken into the ground. Those I have just skipped and moved on. I think there is some freeware out that will raise and lower the airport but I don't know what it is called. Now that I would like to learn how to adjust.

I fly one of the FSHost session's that posts a new Hop List each month. So far I'm generally just flying to places once and then I am off to explore more of the world in single and twin GA planes.

The other thing I do, is fly on leg of the "Pole to Pole" (by First_Class Simulations) adventure each week with 3 other simmers. I add 3rd party airports as we come to them. I have had no issues with those airports so far.

• 4 weeks later...
In a nutshell, UT turned FS9 from a game into a simulator. With UT you can look out and compare the shape of a lake with what is on the chart, and I flew my first cross country in FS9 before doing it for real. FSX also cannot stand alone without UT; I discovered on my first FSX trial flight that 40 miles east of Vancouver the Fraser River disappears.

Archived