FS 2004 Settable radio numbers

bobvan

I think I understand where you're coming from. Sometimes it's not easy to figure out where to click or scroll, particularly if the clickable area is small or oddly shaped or some distance away from the displayed frequency.

Help is at hand! Literally. Hover your mouse slowly over the whole radio stack. At some areas, the arrow will change to a hand with pointing index finger, with either a plus or minus symbol. That right there is the clickable area to increase or decrease, respectively, the value over which you are hovering.

Also ... in the aircraft.cfg file, you specify whether the radio does or does not have standby frequencies. If this value doesn't match the radio in question, then the radio will not respond properly to mouse commands. Easy to do accidentally if you install a different radio or a whole different panel.

"There's a message coming through on the radio".

"The radio? What is it?

"A green box that messages come out of. But that's not important now".

( Once again, an Airplane gag).

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

I appreciative your response. I understand how to click a radio frequency with the

mouse. I am referring to combination panels, where all the radio sets are listed one

below the other in green lights. Some airplanes will let you set these frequencies with

a mouse, while some airplanes will not. I have never understood why one airplane will allow mouse settings and another airplane won't. There is a published program which can be installed as a panel view, that lets you set all the radios from it. It has the bug in it, that any time you select that panel view, it resets your transponder and ATC starts harping on that before you have time to reset your VOR or whatever you went there to do. It is interesting to hear that there is an aircraft.cfg file entry that would affect

mousable settings. Please show a sample line in the RADIOS column to affect this.

Thank you.

I have never understood why one airplane will allow mouse settings and another airplane won't.

That happens because the gauges are coded differently.

Not everything in FS is universal.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thank you very much for helping me solve a lifetime mystery. Just your hint that something in the aircraft.cfg file would make one airplane refuse to mouse radio frequency settings, while another airplane, apparently with the same set of radios in it, would flatly refuse to allow setting them, both in the same combination radio panel, cracked the case. If it was something different in the aircraft.cfg file, then simply copying and pasting the whole set of radios from the working airplane to the aircraft.cfg file of the non working airplane, it should enable setting the radios in the non working airplane A hypothetical such experiment might turn our the result of this possible cure. You can make a panel view with this beautiful ComGold add on gauge, for radio settings, but it has a program bug in it, that when you are flying IFR and need to set your VOR to a new frequency, and you hit a SHIFT-5 to open up this radio setting panel, it resets your transponder to another setting. The ATC guy starts jumping out of the tower for you to set your transponder back where it was, and by the time you get through messing with that, you have forgotten what frequency you went there to set your VOR to. Very frustrating. com gold.jpgThanks again.

You can make a panel view with this beautiful ComGold add on gauge, for radio settings, but it has a program bug in it, that when you are flying IFR and need to set your VOR to a new frequency, and you hit a SHIFT-5 to open up this radio setting panel, it resets your transponder to another setting.

Hmmm, never had that happen to me using that radio.

Are you using that radio along with another kind of radio in the same plane?

Does it still happen if you click on the "MAN" switch?

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

That ComGold radio stack is my favorite. I put it into most of my planes, from Cessna 150 up through an FA-18, and anything in between. Granted, I don't use ATC a whole lot, just because I don't feel like it, but I have never once seen it change transponder settings all by it's self. Or any other setting. If it seems to be, you are hitting something to perform the change.

I know I'm not being overly helpful, but I wanted to throw this out for you to consider. If the transponder code changes, it may be because when the ATC orders it, one of the pop-up window choices, I believe, will change the code while acknowledging the ATC transmission. Like I said, I don't use ATC a whole lot any more, but I remember that...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

If you are unaware of HOW the (Radios) section in aircraft cfg is setup then with some default and most 3rd party add-on's you don't know what you will get for (Radios). Here is an example of 3 you will see. The C-182S in FS9 is the CORRECT (Radios) entry, which you can make a habit of putting in your 3rd party add-on aircraft's cfg. It won't HURT anything and if you install a 'modern' panel then it WILL make all the difference.

---------------------------------------------------

C-182S (default)

[Radios]

// Radio Type=availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope

Audio.1=1

Com.1=1,1

Com.2=1,1

Nav.1=1,1,1

Nav.2=1,1,0

Adf.1=1,1

Transponder.1=1

Marker.1=1

Adf.2=1,0

-------------------------------------------------------

Alpha Cessna T-50 Bobcat (add on)

[Radios]

Audio.1=1

Com.1=1

Com.2=1

Nav.1=1,0,1

Nav.2=1

Adf.1=1

Transponder.1=1

Marker.1=1

-----------------------------------------------

Bristol Type 26 Pullman

[Radios]

// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope

Audio.1 = 0

Com.1 = 1, 0

Nav.1 = 0, 0, 0

Adf.1 = 0

Transponder.1 = 0

Marker.1 = 0

They don't tell you everything. You have to figure it all out by yourself. The 'purists' will put in what that 1930's or even 1980's aircraft had for radios (ie: 'real'). They don't 'plan' for you to put in a 'better' panel with 'modern' radios because THEY wouldn't (that would be sacrilage to them). So there you go-it's another case of us 'up to date' simmers fighting 'City Hall' ('real' or 'realists) and nothing more.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Bobvan, simply judging from APPEARANCE, that ComGold gauge looks like it DOES have standyby frequencies. For example, and again I am just judging only from appearance, it looks like COM1 is set to 121.85 as the active frequency, with 118.00 as the standby. If all of that is indeed the case, then to mouse-change frequency, you would need to work in the 118 area, by hovering there and looking for the hand with the +/- symbol, as mentioned before.

Its aircraft.cfg entry would look like:

Com.1 = 1, 1, 0

or

Com.1 = 1, 1, 1

The first 1 says the COM.1 radio exists ( is "available").

The second 1 says that it DOES have standby frequency.

The last number, 0 or 1, would depend on whether this radio has ILS glide slope capabilities, which you can't tell from your pic.

For a third time, this is all judging on appearance of the radio stack.

Finally, if I may express an opinion, I think you should try your utmost to get the mouse frequency change working so you can follow up Bean's suggestion. If you mouse-change frequencies, do you still see your issue of the transponder frequency changing all on its own? It looks like the transponder is set to Auto (the blue word AUTO is lit up), so maybe this is supposed to happen??? As Bean asked.

All speculation on my part.Hope this is still helping ...

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Here is the ComGold features graphic. There is no DME. Or AP. Right? Right! You enter freq numbers using keypad. 'C'=Clear. No mouse over operation with this guage. It's a clicker type.

Chuck B

Napamule

ComGoldFeatures.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Mr. Napamule, you beat me it. I was going to put a virtually identical post, but you got it first.

Story of my life...just too slow!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 4 months later...

I really appreciate all the comments on settable radio frequencies.

It turned out to be just additional tweaks in the aircraft.cfg program

lines for the radios. I probably never would have noticed this without your help.

I have had panel view with the pretty radio setting add on, for years. It is a headache

in that if you touch it, it zeroes your transponder and the ATC raises cain about it

and won't give you time to reset your transponder. A much better solution

would be the hypothetical cure of simply using one of the many radio panels that simply

has the digital lines for all the radios on it. With the mousable digital lines for resetting lines, it cures the setting problem with a very small gauge containing all the radio sets.

Thanks for all the comments.

Archived