Texture flickering

unclegreg

I'm working on a scenery project and I need tennis courts. So, I built a thin square plate in Sketchup, put the .skp file into MCX and added a bitmap image of a group of tennis courts as the diffuse texture to the square plate. It shows up but flickers when the eye point is moved. What do I do to make the image solid from any angle? Thanx in advance.

unclegreg

OK, I do not think MCX can read .skp files, so maybe you exported a COLLADA file from SU and imported that .dae file into MCX?

Did you assign the texture in SU before exporting the model?

Does the flicker happen in MCX or in the sim?

If it is happening in the sim, try raising your object a bit off of the ground.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

A thousand pardons. It is a .dae file into MCX. I did assign the texture (or at least projected it) in SU but it didn't show up in MCX. Then I added the same bitmap I used in SU as the diffuse texture in MCX. The flickering shows up in both MCX and FSX. I did convert the bitmap to a .dds, same flickering in both. Thanx for listening.

unclegreg

...I added the same bitmap I used in SU as the diffuse texture in MCX. The flickering shows up in both MCX and FSX.

Not sure exactly what you did as you cannot map a texture to an object in MCX.

Is it possible that you object has 2 planes that have been mapped to different textures?

Flickering is hard to take a picture of, can you try?

Also post a picture of the MCX Material Editor for you model.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Untitled.pngMatEd1.pngMatEd2.png

Bean,

Here are the requested images. I have mapped textures to objects in MCX.

1.Open .bgl in MCX

2. Open Material Editor

3.Click on "Diffuse Texture" to open search

4.Click on desired image, convert to DDS if necessary

5.Export selected object, rewriting original .bgl

It has worked for me.

unclegreg

unclegreg

OK, you are not actually mapping textures with MCX, you are just changing the name of the texture the model uses.

Also, you are using an old version of MCX, you should update to the latest development release- http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/modelconverterx.92/

Neither of these comments address the problem, unfortunately.

If you would like for me to look at the model, check your PMs.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

unclegreg sent me the files for this object and for the edification of others I will post my findings here.

The object is basically a squashed cube, so it has six rectangular sides.

The compiler will divide all polygons into triangles, so each of the original rectangular polys will be divided into 2 triangles. So a 6 sided cube will net 12 polys.

Loading this object into Model Converter X and looking at the Object Information we see this object has 16 polys.

Capture.JPG

So where did the 4 extra polys come from? Rotating the object and looking at it in Wireframe render mode we can see the edges of all of the polys.

If you look closely at the top and bottom of the cube you will see 3 bisecting edges where there should only be 2, 1 for the top and 1 for the bottom.

I have marked these edges, red for the top and lime for the bottom.

Capture-2.JPG

So what this tells me is that the the cube has 2 tops that are coplaner, or lie in the same plane.

One plane has the texture stretched across it so the texture does not have to be repeated.

The other plane appears to have the texture applied so that it has to be repeated many times to cover the surface.

The flickering (sometimes called z-fighting) is a result of the computer being confused about which surface is supposed to be displayed. The fix is to get rid of the second plane.

As to how this particular model got messed up, I suspect that it has to do with the way that you created the material in Sketchup. When you create a new Sketchup material and assign a texture to it SU defaults to that texture covering about 2x2 feet.

I think something happened when you tried to stretch the texture out to cover the whole model.

My recommendation is to determine how much real estate a texture will cover before you create the new SU material, then adjust the texture coverage before you apply it to the model.

Here I used your texture to create a new material and SU thinks it should cover about 1 sq ft, obviously way too small. You can over-type those numbers to anything you want.

Capture-3.JPG

When I paint textures for my buildings I commonly use a scale of 10 pixels/foot. When I create a new material and use a 1024x1024 texture I set the dimensions to 102.4 ft x 102.4 ft. Doing this I never have to stretch the textures after applying them in SU, I only have to position them. This also keeps SU from wanting to create a bunch of copies of my texture.

Hope this helps explain it.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

StringBean,

Thank you so much for all this information. I done learned stuff today! You have helped so many, you should be proud. Now I've got to go back outside and cut and haul more firewood. Life goes on.

unclegreg

Archived