Laptop Speed

RickG

Hi all. I have a question about a laptop I recently got, and its time to accomplish certain tasks. Primarily, when I run the free Malwarebytes scan on my desktop pc (specs in sig), it scans 350,700 objects in 4:10 minutes. On the laptop with an AMD A6 5200 (@ 2GHZ I believe), it scans 337,170 objects but takes ~24 minutes. Is this typical for a laptop because of the slower processor? This laptop stuff is all new to me, so I'm really unsure what to expect from it. Thanks. Rick

Running FSX-SE on   Intel core i7-12700kf,  DDR4 16G,  Nvidia Geforce RTX3070 8gb6, 1tbm.2 pcie ssd,  on windows 11.

The biggest difference twixt the desk and lap, mainly, is the power it can apply, and along with that, the heat it can dissipate. A desktop has plenty of room, generally, for power supply, cooling for the main processor and the GFX processor, peripherals, etc. Laptops don't have all that room inside, so they have to compromise on different things. Generally speaking, the more cores to the processors, as well as speed of operation, means a larger pwer draw, requiring a larger power supply, and with all that come more heat generated, so the need for greater cooling capacity. Heat is the bane of computer chips, of any kind, and processor chips, regular or GFX doesn't really matter, are huge power hogs and heat generators. In a desktop, lots of room for cooling. Heat sinks, cooling fans, liquid cooling systems, etc etc. Not to mention no real weight restrictions, where-as no one would buy a laptop weighing in at 30lbs, altho I think my Dell Laptop 1750, old, but pretty big and effective, comes close to that.

So, to sum it up: the higher the processor speed, the faster it does "things" generally, and the better the GFX rendering, and the greater the heat generation, thus a need for power supplied and heat dissipated. All those are the main limiting factors to a laptop's abilities. SO: Laptops tend to do "Things" that require a lot of processor time and effort, as it were, more slowly overall. Most of them are also more sensitive to getting heated up and have limiting built into the software that try to reduce the processor speed and power consumption if the temperatures at certain heat-prone areas get's to certain points. SO the more "things" it's doing, the hotter it's going to get, and slower it shall go.

I hope this answers your question.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi--That was a great reply. Explained it very well, even for a pc-doofus like me. Many Thanks Pat! Rick

Running FSX-SE on   Intel core i7-12700kf,  DDR4 16G,  Nvidia Geforce RTX3070 8gb6, 1tbm.2 pcie ssd,  on windows 11.

Glad I could help out a little bit :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived