Mad Catz have reached an agreement with Microsoft and DoveTail Games

Mad Catz have reached an agreement with Microsoft and DoveTail Games allowing them to distribute physical copies of Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. You can download the game now from Steam, if you like, but those of you holding out for a physical copy can have joy in your hearts and a skip in your step, today.

Mad Catz say the boxed version of the game should be available “Late Spring”, but you can preorder the game now.

Source: http://www.godisageek.com/2015/05/flight-simulator-land-store-shelves-distribution-agreement/

Notice the words at the top of the box: http://store.madcatz.com/categories/games-category/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-X-Steam-Edition-for-PC.html .

Much ado about nothing.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

This to me is hilarious... considering that the whole purpose of Steam and the wonderful concept of it is to NOT be reliant on discs that wear out. And how do these disc-people do automatic updates? Stick the store bought discs in their computers to receive the updates? What? Are they re-writable? I say that in jest... because of course they are factory sealed like a snapshot in time of whatever updates had been done, before the discs were shipped.

On a more serious note, I suppose those who don't like the feel of a big brother like Steam, collecting cookies, caching, etc. and otherwise having a hand in the cookie jar at all times, this might offer a greater sense of independence. I don't know. I guess it's the right choice for those who seek it out.

I gotta say again...look at the box. This is a download-only product. There is no physical disc. A Steam account is still required. All you get in the box is a product key to activate the Steam download.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

If its just the product activation key supplied, I suppose it could attract people who are not happy paying for items using their credit card online.

How else will you pay Madcatz other by online?

I read "no disc required." Yes that sounds pretty online to me! I just wonder why this is a pre-order product. Is steam not available online now?:confused:
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I read "no disc required." Yes that sounds pretty online to me! I just wonder why this is a pre-order product. Is steam not available online now?:confused:

Indeed, it is. I don't understand this whole thing either. But, maybe it's just an old-age

thing. Sigh...

Doug

Like I said, it's a marketing gimmick - not everyone lives on the internet and not everyone has ever heard of Steam. The box provides a way of spreading the Steam name and presence as well as a brick and mortar presence for folks who prefer to buy that way. You get the key and directions how to download.

DJ

Awhile back I purchased Railworks 3 / Train Simulator 2012. When I put the disc in the first requirement was to open a Steam account. It didn't cost anything but there was a little thought of " Hey, wait a minute this isn't right. " Since then I've purchased some other games and of course FSX and X-plane. I've just got a gut feeling they are up to something and somehow its going to cost more. $4.99 seems like a baited hook.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

I've just got a gut feeling they are up to something and somehow its going to cost more.

There are 3 sides to this. Dovetail gets to sell more copies of FSX:SE, and maybe some DLC later on. Saitek and Madcatz are using it as a marketing tool, basically you buy their joystick and get the sim for free. And finally, Steam gets another user that may just happen to browse the rest of the Steam online store and buy something else, especially during one of Steam's infamous sales. This is where it could cost you more, potentially a lot more.

This guys make money just TRACKING your shopping, and/or, surfing, activity' They don't have to sell you anything. You go Steam site and they got you. First you read their ads (I don't), then they put tracking cookie(s) and they make money selling the info (ie: what you click on, what you bought at Amazon, what you keyed on Google, what you bought anywhere else). Get real. There is no free lunch. They are doing this because there is money in it. Period.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

If you love TRACKING SOFTWARE buy Steam products.:p:mad:

I actuality got my 4.99 back. because it wasn't the 4.99 it was the principle.

Remember, if the deal looks to good to be true........

Army Engineer Veteran..Busted for insubordination Nam-1966 :cool:

Saitek is doing this as well - kind of an odd marketing ploy. I suppose the idea is to attract buyers who've never heard of Steam or the Internet.

DJ

Um, Mad Catz owns Saitek...

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Wonder if you will still need a steam account, not mentioned anywhere.

Very probably it'll say on the box "Steam account required to play this game", many store-bought games are Steam-linked nowadays so check the small print.

For example last year I bought Armed Assault 3 in town, but when I popped in the disk to install it the message came up "Please sign into your Steam account or Register a new account to install".

I registered and things went fine, but I can't help wondering whether I really needed the disk.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Steam games are not actually on the disk but are at the Steam download area, so the disk is simply an empty "key" to access the download.

Maybe I might just as well have bought the game straight from Steam via download in the first place without bothering to buy the disk!

PS- As far as I can tell, the advantage of being Steam-linked is that you're immediately notified when any updates and patches for games are there for instant download, my Arma 3 has been updated about 4 times so far.

Also at Steam are community forums to discuss your games etc, so on the whole I'd say we have nothing to lose by being on Steam, I'm certainly not being hit by any spam and stuff.

The only annoyance is that we can't give games away if we don't like them, I gave away an 'Empire' (a Steam game) but the guy told me he couldn't play it because it was only registered to my own computer via Steam!

This guys make money just TRACKING your shopping, and/or, surfing, activity' They don't have to sell you anything. You go Steam site and they got you. First you read their ads (I don't), then they put tracking cookie(s) and they make money selling the info (ie: what you click on, what you bought at Amazon, what you keyed on Google, what you bought anywhere else). Get real. There is no free lunch. They are doing this because there is money in it. Period.

Chuck B

Napamule

The powers that be are also tracking you on this site... not so bad is it? Someone's got to pay the hosting bill.

Archived