ORBX with Steam

Habu1967

I have both the Boxed FSX Accel and Steam installed. My boxed install has several years worth of add-on, etc. I really want to be able to load my ORBX product into FSX-SE. Has anyone figured out a way to do this? I am not ready to blow out the Boxed version.

Thanks for your help.

Les

What happens when you run the orbx installer? does it give the chance to specify the directory where FSX is installed? if so then you're sorted, just specify the FSX:SE folder.

I've got some free ORBX stuff (Iceland and Tasmania) running on FSX:SE, and it's all fine.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Since, I believe, FSX-SE and ORBX are now partners, I see no reason it shouldn't work. Just remember that Steam tends to "hide" FSX under several layers of folders, where the boxed edition doesn't. That gives some auto-installers fits. One reason I don't use auto-install. I point it to a temp folder, then install things manually. I just don't trust the autoinstall feature.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

So, you want to use your existing installation with FSX.SE without having to reinstall everything? Orbx promised a migration tool, and AFAIK this tool exists and it links the old stuff into SE. Haven't tried it though.

Possible Cheat: rename FSX boxed root folder. Copy the ORBX folder into the FSX SE install. Create a symlink in place of the boxed pointing to the SE root folder. Same with FSX in ProgramData (so that FTXCentral uses the correct scenery.cfg). Oh, and drop the Objectsflows into the SE dll.xml. Done. You can always switch between the two by renaming and symlinking (use batchfiles). Not sure what happens if you install Orbx libs and tell them you have SE though. Could be a problem.

I went a bit further in my merge, I made a copy of FSXboxed, then 'uninstalled' it, by removing every related folder and registry key. Then I installed SE, which now thinks it is alone and uses the default FSX folders and keys except the root. For that I created the above mentioned symlink. Then it was copy&paste mostly. Aircraft were easy, sceneries sometimes a bit complex (Aerosoft, Orbx). But it is doable.

Archived