Afterburner(or Re-Heat)for F-86D in FS9

rockrob

I have tried 3 different F-86D files, and still can't get any after-burner effects. In the aircraft_cfg file, under [TurbineEngineData], it shows "afterburner_available=1", which I assume to be it has an afterburner available and the "=1" means it should be effective. really didn't know the F-86D had an afterburner, but I guess it does.

Does anyone know how to activate it?

I have tried 3 different F-86D files, and still can't get any after-burner effects. In the aircraft_cfg file, under [TurbineEngineData], it shows "afterburner_available=1", which I assume to be it has an afterburner available and the "=1" means it should be effective. really didn't know the F-86D had an afterburner, but I guess it does.

Does anyone know how to activate it?

What are you seeing in the aircraft.cfg under either [Lights] or [smoke]? Any thing regarding afterburner? What file have you downloaded?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

After doing a quick search I found at least one FS2004 F-86D that claimed afterburner. Looking in the aircraft.cfg file where it said afterburner=1 but no reference to any AB effects in either the [Lights] or [smoke] section, the developer may have them in the model or .air file???

Doing a bit of screwing around I came up with this.

F-86D afterburner.JPG

.....AND? ...... OP is waiting for which screw to turn to get pretty light out the tail. C'mon Zippo ..... give it up!

How about hold yer horses till I hear back from the OP! No use stumbling ass over appetite if this isn't what he wants!

The afterburner_available controls certain aspects of engine performance depending on how you use the throttle (complex explanation, suspect not relevant to your question). Is has absolutely nothing to do with any visual afterburner effect, which is sounds like what you are after. Assuming that to be true, this is one way of getting there ...

To get a visual afterburner effect, the usual method is to specify it as a "light"in the lighting section. If you go to your \Effects folder, you probably have a number of burner effects files (Ie, file names similar to xxxburner.fx) already there. It is a matter of trying them all and see which one you like.

Some experimentation is required. Obviously, the burner effect goes aft and in line with the engine exhaust, so you need to place it there.

As a guide, here is what I did with my beloved F-14 Tomcat.

1. Find the [GeneralEngineData] section. THe F-14s looks like:

engine_type= 1

Engine.0= -13.333, -2.500, -1.667

Engine.1= -13.333, 2.500, -1.667

The three numbers locate the engine; you use those numbers as a guide as to where to locate your effect.

2. Find the [lights] section. Add your afterburner in a fashion similar to this:

light.12= 9, -10.5, 4.80, -0.50, fx_f14a_aniburner,

light.13= 9, -10.5, -4.80, -0.50, fx_f14a_aniburner,

Your plane looks like it's a single engine (I know nothing about the F-86) so you will obviously have only one line for each. For a single engine, the second coord number (+/- 4.8 / 2.5 in my case) will probably be zero; leave it at zero.

If you need help with getting those numbers right, then post the Engine.0 line and we can all give you some advice on where to go from there. I found that when trying which effect you like (ie, which xxxburner.fx file to use), you need to put the burner a long way aft so you can see all of it (some burner effects actually start inside the engine). Then gradually bring it forward until it looks right. You probably don't want the F-14 burner per se, that has a much larger exhaust diameter than your plane and the effect will be grossly too big.

To activate the afterburner effect, you simply ... turn on the lights! Sadly, because it is nominally a "light", it will be always on when the lights are on. There is no way you can change it via the throttle.

As our Treasurer said on Budget Night last week, "have a go" at this, see what you think, and post your thoughts.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Hi! Along with what Steve said above, I'd like to suggest, if I may, a way to make the AB, reheat, blower, whatever you call it, more than just an effect. Or a way to suck down more fuel.

Take a glance through the Library for a gauge called rcbac-10.zip. It is, and I quote, an "Afterburner Control gauge" for FS9 by Rob Barendregt (a rather prolific and high quality gauge maker). It not only has the gauge to make an AB work visually, but how to tweak the Aircraft.cfg and the *.air files to make it actually work. As in, add thrust to your bird. Very very educational. Or it was to me, anyway.

You might also glance through this web page. It is an SDK for FSX, but a fair percentage of it works equally well in FS9. I've been using it effectively in both for a while now. In particular, check the [Turbine Engine] section of it, in particular-particular (to make up a word) the two "Thrust-specific Fuel Consumption" lines, one for AB's, one for normal operation. They matter for AB operation.

To get the specific numbers for the engine in the F-86, look into the files "abrsdg.zip", a how to for FSX but is equally applicable to FS9, and "spec05_gas_turbines.pdf", pretty self explanatory, both readily available on the net.

Of course, all this depends on just how deep into all this you want to go, but what the heck, take a peek down the rabbit hole, as the saying goes. It will suck you in :) Just don't take the red pill, or follow the white rabbit :D

Sorry, I had a Matrix moment there.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Grabbing the flick pass from Tweak, to get this gauge working, you still have to do what I discussed. The readme explicitly says this.

The gauge then negates: "Sadly, because it is nominally a "light", it will be always on when the lights are on. There is no way you can change it via the throttle." Which is of course what you want.

+1 Steve! That's exactly what I did to achieve the AB in my screenshot. Before takeoff, you press the L key to turn on the lights and AB...Roll down the runway and lift off, keeping the AB on as long as you see fit and then L again to kill it. 2 Light switches in the cockpit turn the lights back on and you're off and flying!

Unknown what the OP wants until he reports back. He may want it for the LOOK, or if he wants performance, he may have to do some work or look elsewhere for another aircraft.

Mr. Steve, sir, I regret I must respectfully disagree with you, sir. I am not certain that Mr. B. didn't change something, since I only have/use v1.0, but the version I have of RCBac-10.zip is not a light's controlled effect. It utilizes the logo light "circuit", so to speak, but that's as far as it goes. You can flip the lights on and off all you like, but there are other conditions that must be met before the effect occurs. Throttle above 95%, and afterburners selected on either using the switch in the package, or the FS9 keyboard command (shft+F4). Personally I utilize the keyboard command, as I use the F-keys for throttle control anyway. To me, in my mind, using Shft+F4 is like pushing the levers outboard, then advancing them, to activate AB's. It's a mental thing. No matter. I use this gauge/effect in Dino's F-14B/D, as well as the FSKBT F/A-18 Hornets, and it's not on until all conditions are met no matter what I do with the lights.

Note that:

- The Afterburner can ONLY be activated when the engine is running AND the

throttle is greater than 95% (the light is now Off [on the switch in the cockpit]). If not, the light is RED [on the switch in the cockpit].

- When the Afterburner is active (the light is Green [on the switch in the cockpit]) and the throttle is

reduced to below 95%, it is automatically deactivated.

- The switch/light [in the cockpit] follows the state of the AFterburner; so if you set AB on via

a keyboard key, the gauge switch/light [in the cockpit] will follow. That is, if it is allowed

to switch AB on; if not, AB is switch[ed] off again automaticaly.

- After the throttle is set full, you need to activate the Afterburner manually.

Those are right out of the readme file included with the gauge/effect package. The portions in brackets [] are my words for clarity. Nowhere did I see where it says that the burner stays on with the lights on.

Now, perhaps I missed it, I do that. BUT, at least in Dino's F-14B, and the FSKBT Hornets, all conditions must be met before the effect shows up. The light switches are ill-elephant (irrelevant) as my kids used to say. Provided nothing else is trying to use the Logo lights, and most military birds don't seem to have a real "light" using that "circuit". Now, if there IS something trying to use the Logo light "circuit", it will interfere with the operation of this gauge/effect. Some other types of plane do use the Logo Light "circuit" to activate various thing/effects. I think.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but isn't a throttle controlled effect exactly what the OP was after? This is it.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Hello,

A simple XML file for trigger the effect by % power(and panel.cfg entry)

Some lights settings (Aircraft.cfg lights section)

Some effect file(s) and event texture(s) in the effect folder and texture subfolder

All this is already available in some aircraft .. it's just to mod for the aircraft you want ....

Same procedure for vortices and smoke ....

With those .. you can even have a afterburner effect on a Cessna 172 http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/maur2/13742.gif

Regards.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a/bye.gif

If you gave a couple of monkeys a box of ballpoints, enough paper, and enough time, they'd eventually finish up writing the complete works of Shakespeare :)

Uhh, in all of what Tweak said, I have no idea what I am being accused of here. But since he actually has the gauge and has used it, and I only read the readme, then he must be right and I must be wrong.

Steve, I meant no offense.

I was just trying to point out that one of us is mistaken about

1) what's in the Readme. I didn't see the quote about it being "just a light effect, and so always on when the lights are", and

2) I do use the gauge I named, and it's certainly not just a light effect. It's only on when the AB's should be, not all the time the lights are.

That's all. Somehow, I think we got different Readme files, or different effect downloads completely.

With those .. you can even have a afterburner effect on a Cessna 172

Ummm...I think it will only work on aircraft with a [Turbine_Engine] section in the aircraft.cfg file, with a Afterburner= line under it. Leaves a Cessna out. Even with that section in the Cessna's aircraft.cfg file, you would still have to change the .air file to have a jet engine, not a piston job. Which will really make it haul tail, but probably overspeed so fast it would just keep showing a crash message.

But hey, I've been wrong before, a LOT and will be again...A LOT.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can have an 'afterburner' effect on the Cessna if you set it up as a light effect.

The mod (for jets) uses an XML file to monitor throttle (over 95%) to trigger the afterburner effect using a gauge. The gauge goes in your panel folder and you add a line to panel section, then put effect in effects folder and flame bmp in effects/texture folder.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: This is a 'list' of what is involved, and not how any 'mod' is done, which may be differnt. OK? OK!

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Oh sure! Now you decide to beat me with the pun-stick! What a terrible punishment you inflicted on me!

;) :D ;)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I went and added engine flames to the BSG Raptor (by B. Fitzgerald). Look better in FSX but 'ok' in FS9 too. I got this from 'abrsdg.zip' a tutorial by Don Bodenstedt for AB for effect for Dino's F-14 but adopted it to the Raptor. See pic.

light.x= 6, -15.00, -2.50, 0.86, fx_F14_Burn1, // Eng1 Afterburner Burn1

light.x= 6, -15.00, 2.50, 0.86, fx_F14_Burn2, // Eng1 Afterburner Burn2

light.x= 7, -15.00, 2.50, 0.86, fx_F14_Burn1, // Eng2 Afterburner Burn1

light.x= 7, -15.00, -2.50, 0.86, fx_F14_Burn2, // Eng2 Afterburner Burn2

It's comes on (and stays on) when you press 'L' key AND the engine is running. Works for me.

Chuck B

Napamule

BSG Raptor_AB.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

There you go again...NO COMMENT.

cHUCK b

nAPAMULE

Archived