Please help me start my round the world trip.

So I am in the first stages of planning a round the world trip in a Cessna. I'm sure its been done a few times before and looking for any tips or hints.

I'm going to take my time with it, just doing maybe 1 leg a week.

Here are some bullet points.

I plan to use my Carenado C182

I plan to always use Real World Weather

I plan to fly on Vatsim

I plan to start from EGPG or EGPF and go around west to east

I plan to simulate weight of two passengers and reasonably realistically amount of luggage for such a trip.

I plan to pick my airports/airstrips on the fly (pardon the pun), basically, on the morning of departure, just look at areas on a map roughly the right direction for me and somewhere about 60-80% of my range distance away. I don't want destinations set in stone as I think this would take some of the fun out of it for me.

Does anyone have any tips for doing this? Thankfully in the Sim you don't have to sort out VISAS and all the boring bits!

Many thanks.

I cannot help you regarding any details of your flight but I see from your post you are a member of VATSIM.

If you post your same questions on their forum I am sure you will get an answer.

I cannot help you regarding any details of your flight but I see from your post you are a member of VATSIM.

If you post your same questions on their forum I am sure you will get an answer.

Was just after tips really, I suppose from someone who has done such a thing before. I think I am all set, just reaching out before I set sail.

Try flying (and learning in the process) without using autopilot by adjusting your pitch trim and speed to maintain your altitiude and rudder trim to maintain your heading to the next VOR.

Another thing is to do is fly using only VFR navigation. Using Skyvector.com as a VFR map, navigate using only landmarks. This might involve a crash course in knowing what the symbols on a VFR map are but that's what it's all about.

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

Was just after tips really, I suppose from someone who has done such a thing before. I think I am all set, just reaching out before I set sail.

I haven't done the Vatsim thang, so couldn't help you there.

Otherwise, you already seem to be doing about what I would do.

West to east is a good idea, as it sure helps having the wind at your back.

Real weather makes things more interesting for sure.. Just plan your first trip,

load er up and go. That's what I did. When I got to the next airport, then I'd

ponder where to go next, and do it all again. In a 182, it's sure gonna take a

while to circle the glistening orb. So you have a lot of legs ahead of you.

I last did it in a 737, which is a tad bit quicker. Even then it took several days

being as I would do a leg every day or two or three depending when I had free

time. :pilot:

Good luck!

One problem I found from my trip was the lack of airports on the russian side of the bering straight, the nearest I could find was petropovlosk - which is way down in kamchatka.

Alternatively, island hopping across the south pacific should be fun, but not much scenery to look at most of the time.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

I did my rtw with a Piper Seneca east to west. 14 months, 453 flights, 42,00nm. It took so long because I circumnavigated each continent. I am in agreement with Iain, there is about 1500 miles down the Russian East coast with no airfields. You will have to use unlimited fuel or change aircraft for this leg. I started with the 172 but switched very quickly to the Seneca.

Have fun

Bruce

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

I did my rtw with a Piper Seneca east to west. 14 months, 453 flights, 42,00nm. It took so long because I circumnavigated each continent. I am in agreement with Iain, there is about 1500 miles down the Russian East coast with no airfields. You will have to use unlimited fuel or change aircraft for this leg. I started with the 172 but switched very quickly to the Seneca.

Have fun

Bruce

1500 miles with no airstrips!? wow. Wont be able to change aircraft (would break the whole trip for me) but I suppose I could load the plane with fuel cans, land somewhere (have to plan ahead most suitable field) and refuel manually. I am in Kiev now (did Copenhaagen to Kiev today). Next leg is going to be to Narimanovo tomorrow.

I went round late last year in A2A's Cherokee 180. Solo flight, real weather, standard fuel, no GPS. 23,000 nm in about 230 hours.

Skyvector.com charts were invaluable. Trickiest part was from Rodrigues Island to Diego Garcia; had to wait a week for winds that would allow me to make it.

I learned A LOT, and I've been simming for 30 years. In a plane like the 182 there's plenty of time to experiment. You'll be surprised how far you can go with aggressive leaning and favourable tailwinds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another route to follow is "Around the World in Eighty Days" by Jules Verne. Though a couple of the cities mentioned in the book have changed names or were fictional, so it might take some research. Since the book uses dates you can try to match not only the duration to the locations, but if you wait until Oct 1, you can fly at the same time in the year as the journey takes place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_World_in_Eighty_Days for an abbreviated list of waypoints.

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

Really cool thing I've been doing, every airport/area I fly to I search for scenery, so far all of the airport even relatively small ones have got some form of freeware scenery and most of it really good. It's much better landing at airports that someone (probably local) has put some love into. Decided to head to Tibilisi in Gerogia today (got some great freeware scenery for there and then probably Kuwait tommorrow. That way I can head east over india, thailand and china. Which I thought would be more interesting than just flying across Russia

Have to say I'm loving this trip, doing another leg tonight. Stunning sunset over Armenia tonight. (heading from Georgia to Kuwait tonight). really enjoying it.

Untitled.jpg

Arrived in Kuwait. Ooft, tired. I would say 2 legs in 1 day is too much. Will have a day off tomorrow.

Quick update - going well. Here is where I am and what I've done so far. (each alternating colour a different leg/day) The picture is of the Himalayas as I'm on route to Burma today.

Picture1.jpg

QUICK QUESTION

In real life would you be allowed to fly over North Korea or best keep clear of its airspace? I plan on flying from Seoul to Vladivostok but that would involve me clipping DKPR airspace

I commend you. I don't think that I would have the patience or fortitude to attempt a RTW in a 182, although I have done it before once a year for several years in real time AND daylight the whole way (see my rtw "07 redux post), but in nothing slower than a King Air 300. I find the process interesting, whether it's all planned out in advance or if you just point the airplane where the day takes you. Planning another RTW of my own, by the way. Best of luck to you!

Fair skies and following winds!

Fair skies and following winds,

-Frank-

PROUD FS RTWR Pilot since 2015!

Kick the tires and light the fires! We's goin' FLYIN'!:D

I commend you. I don't think that I would have the patience or fortitude to attempt a RTW in a 182, although I have done it before once a year for several years in real time AND daylight the whole way (see my rtw "07 redux post), but in nothing slower than a King Air 300. I find the process interesting, whether it's all planned out in advance or if you just point the airplane where the day takes you. Planning another RTW of my own, by the way. Best of luck to you!

It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Weather has been fine (thunderstorms over north Iran but got through it. Wind has more or less been behind me. The best part is finding little handmade freeware sceneries along the way. Im planning about 2 stops in advance, no more. And I go searching for freeware scenery along the way or at my destination airport. It's amazing how much there is and how good some (most) of it is. Just about everywhere has something and it's nice to think that someone local to the area crafted it with love for their home area.

UPDATE:

Hi folks, just a quick update or "diary" entry if you will.

Here is where I have got to so far.

round.jpg

It's been loads of fun so far, all on Vatsim. Much more fun than I expected. If you are thinking about doing it then I say go for it!

Notable events:

Leg 4: Bad thunderstorms over northern Iran at night (only time I have flown at night as I did 2 legs in 1 day) made for some exciting flying.

Leg 6: Being threaded in between several heavies by ATC at Dubai airport was a lot of fun

Leg 7: Pakistan, the friendliest pilots I have ever met! just about everyone in Pakistan airspace contacted me privately to say how excited they were to see me in their airspace and wishing me the best of luck, very hospitable indeed. Plenty ATC for me, had TWR, APP and CNTR all the way through Pakistan and many a good chat with the local pilots.

Leg 9: Kathmandu, very interesting approach to the airport, had to dodge mountains left and right as I approached, simply stunning scenery too with the Himalayas to the north.

Leg 10: Big thunderstorms over Burma and Vietnam made for a bumpy hour or so.

Leg 12: Again, massive turbulence over the south of Japan. Worst I've had but made it to Osaka safety.

Leg 13: Japan. Heard a local (Glasgow) accent on ATC (JA65NM) when flying up Japan, messaged him and it was a chap who lives in Japan and has done for the last 19 years I think he said but he originally came from a place just a mile or so from where I live! what are the chances. Anyway he came up to see me in his Cessna and took a couple of snaps and emailed me them. Brilliant stuff. Really makes the trip a lot of fun when things like that happen. You can't really see much in the pics (below) but its fun anyway.

2015_05_24_21_07_44_90.jpg

2015_05_24_21_07_28_49.jpg

Had Tokyo CNRT for my whole journey up Japan and he logged off just as I landed so I'm very grateful if he stayed on just for me as it was getting quite late over there.

Very excited about my next leg as it takes me over to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in the Kamchatka Peninsula which is a very interesting place that should have some cracking scenery. Then it's onto the USA via the Attol Islands!

As I have 4 or so hours to "burn" on each leg I spend my time researching my next destination, both in terms of the location itself, watching youtube videos and reading about the area. (Partly why I am excited about my next leg as it looks really impressive area) and researching and downloading freeware sceneries along the way to bolster the areas I'm flying into. For example I wouldn't even have been able to complete my last leg if not for freeware scenery generously created as the Zonalnoye airport isn't there in default FSX and is crucial to making the journeys up the east of Russia. Much of the scenery has really really impressed me and I will be writing a separate write up about that at the end.

Well thats about it so far. If you like this post let me know, and questions let me know or if you would rather I shut-up and stop bumping this thread then let me know.

Thanks and come see me anytime on Vatsim as "G-LOOM" Ill be online tonight at 16:30z to about 20:30z

Nice progress! I can say the Kamchatka Peninsula is a truly spectacular corner of the world. Never been there myself, but between seeing nature films and flying through the FS scenery, it just amazes me that this part of the world exists.

The Aleutian chain is also amazing, with the volcanic islands rising up steeply out of the North Pacific. One thing though. Check the weather. Check the weather. Check the weather. It'll be solid IFR for days on end with no really good options, other than staying where you are, or pressing on and hoping that the weather is "wonderful" at the destination with the IFR minimum of a 200 foot ceiling and one-half mile of visibility. In that neck of the woods, that's sometimes as good as it gets!

I can't wait to start my yearly FS Alaska trip just as soon as I complete my own RTW adventure over on the Multiplayer Forum.

And the following benediction always holds-

Ponch

Fair skies and following winds,

-Frank-

PROUD FS RTWR Pilot since 2015!

Kick the tires and light the fires! We's goin' FLYIN'!:D

Nice progress! I can say the Kamchatka Peninsula is a truly spectacular corner of the world. Never been there myself, but between seeing nature films and flying through the FS scenery, it just amazes me that this part of the world exists.

The Aleutian chain is also amazing, with the volcanic islands rising up steeply out of the North Pacific. One thing though. Check the weather. Check the weather. Check the weather. It'll be solid IFR for days on end with no really good options, other than staying where you are, or pressing on and hoping that the weather is "wonderful" at the destination with the IFR minimum of a 200 foot ceiling and one-half mile of visibility. In that neck of the woods, that's sometimes as good as it gets!

I can't wait to start my yearly FS Alaska trip just as soon as I complete my own RTW adventure over on the Multiplayer Forum.

And the following benediction always holds-

Ponch

Thanks buddy. Yes I always check the weather before setting off. In fact there is a big storm to my east at the moment so I'm holding at Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky for the time being as I dont want to cross open water in a single engine plane in poor weather! The Carenado 182 will fly full IFR but I know what you mean. It's still a light aircraft so can't just "bash on" have to be careful.

Archived