What causes loss on connection to a multiplayer session

Recently I have experienced a loss of connection with a multiplayer session a few times and I am wondering what can cause this.

I can be 'flying' in a session for a while and without warning I get a message to indicate loss of connection.

At the same time my Teamspeak connection stays connected and no other 'players' lose connection with the session. The host's session does not crash!

What can cause this as it is annoying after 'flying' a route for some time and then have to rejoin the session and restart the flight. Is there something I can do to prevent this happening?

Thanks

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Do I assume then that it's a connectivity problem, that I might loose connection for a brief moment and that there is nothing I can do to overcome it?

Could it be caused by too many background processes at the time and if I shut down unnecessary background tasks then I may not experience the problem as much?

John

Probably not a system load problem.

You did not inform us the nature of your multiplayer connection (FSX direct, Steam, Vatsim, etc.)

I expect your Teamspeak stays connected because the server it's connect to (maybe your own) is more stable than the one which provides the actual FSX multiplayer. If your flight mult is breaking down frequently, then the "host" you are connected to is probably p[oorly connected to the inet, has limited bandwidth, has too many people connected to it, or YOUR provider is not very well connected OR YOUR OWN BANDWIDTH is being exceeded by all the inet processes you have going (FSX, Teamspeak, email, browser, malware, etc..) Anther reason the TS stays connected is voice is generally less bandwidth demand than the constant positional handshakes a 3D game environment demands. When flying on Vatsim, there are many servers which gives you the ability to choose the one that's best for you.

When connecting a game to ANY mult, it's best to PING the address you want to connect to and if you see high latency, then you know it's not going to be fun. It's then best to choose another time when the demand is lower, or find a better connected host.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Thanks for the great explanation.

In answer to some of your questions.

I am connected to FSFLYBOYS one of the many sessions listed in fsopen.com (connected directly via FSX Multiplayer Direct Connect).

I have noticed that the disconnect problem only seems to occur during a long 'flight' and maybe an hour into that 'flight' (and so more nuisance having to do the flight again from the start).

I will try pinging the ip address to see what their latency is and maybe compare with some of the other sessions.

I try not to use any other internet connection during this time but maybe my OUTLOOK is up and running and checking for email as it does.

Anyway I now have something to work on and check.

Thanks again.

Jpa

John

I rarely get disconnected from Vatsim. It is truly the best multiplayer experience you can get.

vatsim.net

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I thought that you had to be quite experienced and knowledgeable with procedures to use vatsim.

Anyway when I get back from my forthcoming trip I will have a closer look.

Thanks

John

I thought that you had to be quite experienced and knowledgeable with procedures to use vatsim.

Thanks

Yes and no. I went in with no ATC experience (plenty FS experience but no real "vatsim" type experience). Start at a small airport in a Cessna and do some VFR flights. Most controllers are really helpfull if they aren't busy. Also you will learn so much so quickly just by listening to an ATC channel.

I am connected to FSFLYBOYS one of the many sessions listed in fsopen.com (connected directly via FSX Multiplayer Direct Connect).

I have noticed that the disconnect problem only seems to occur during a long 'flight' and maybe an hour into that 'flight' (and so more nuisance having to do the flight again from the start).

I too fly on this multiplayer session, and perform long intercontinental flights. I very rarely experience loss of connection when doing so, and if I do it is most likely because there is a problem with my internet connection (e.g. cable accidentally pulled out..lol) which is quickly fixed.

Sometimes the session is shut down for an hour or two for updates.......but this would not give you the 'lost connection' message.

Could it be a problem with your own internet speed or connection?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Fighting Falcon

Avalon Air Show 2015

Todays Technology.....

Thanks

Generally, if you can fly your airplane and follow instructuons such as turn left and turn right, climb and descend, adjust your speed, and tune your radio, you can fly on VATSIM.

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I have looked at a few Youtube (instructional) video clips and will follow that through in a few weeks when I get back.

I have been flying 'flights' with FsFlyBoys using FMC, sometimes Garmin and then when ATC is available follow their instructions (turn, descend, etc) for vectors until I have captured the beacon etc. Also follow taxi instructions ok and also pushback, startup etc.

No problems there.

John

Generally, if you can fly your airplane and follow instructuons such as turn left and turn right, climb and descend, adjust your speed, and tune your radio, you can fly on VATSIM.

Agreed. If you can follow the FSX default ATC instructions, you can follow the Vatsim ATC instructions. They have online training for pilots and everyone on there was a beginner once. They accommodate all levels of experience. What is not tolerated are trouble makers and those who will not accept instruction. This idea you have to be perfect to fly there seems to be a common misconception. Probably promoted by those who got kicked off for bad behavior.

If you do some searches on this forum for my sig: -Pv- and the word Vatsim, you will find I go into great detail about how the service REALLY works. I've been on it since the Satnet days. Well over 16 years now. If you are serious about enjoying multiplayer and think ATC should act like real humans and not near brainless robots, then this is for you.

-Pv-

Thanks PV

I must have not explained properly re ATC. Th ATC I am familiar with is when someone (real person) in a multiplayer session sets themself up as a 'tower' and issues ATC instructions which are normally readback by the pilot.

Anyway looking forward to having a go in a Vatsim 'session'.

John

We are talking about the same thing, but on the Vat, an ATC person is trained, tested, and qualified for that position. Volunteers will "sign up" to man a position, but they are not allowed to do so unless they are trained and certified for that position and approved for that LOCATION by the area sector chief. ATC are strictly observed and tested on an on-going basis.

So, the balancing act which keeps the Vat experience fun and fair:

1) No power plays by the ATC.

2) Pilots are prevented from ruining other player's experience.

3) As close as is practical in a system where the unpredictability of Inet connections and the limitations of the sim permit, real world aviation traffic regulations are enforced.

4) When in doubt, fun is the goal. ATC always have the option to "bend" regulations in favor of fun in order to attract pilots to their control area. When a pilot's activity hinders the fun factor for the ATC or other pilots, they will be asked to stop the activity or leave.

5) Pilots wanting to fly with their friends on the Vat in a more open experience always have the option of flying in geo areas where traffic is minimal or there is no ATC coverage and file Visual. Doing this they can Touch and Go, bomb the tower, fly under bridges, rescue boaters, whatever. There are even dedicated ATC for military operations in restricted areas where pilots practice formation flying, air refueling, target practice, air combat, whatever.

No other live or automated server provides the wealth of experience and online stability of Vatsim.

There are also free programs which display all the ATC and pilots along with their coverage so you know EXACTLY what's going on anywhere in the world in real time.

They also have their own weather service or you an use add-ons such as WXreal or ASN.

-Pv-

Thanks -Pv-

Professional stuff.

Looking forward to the experience.

Thanks again

John

John

Archived