FSX SID/STAR's

I've been playing FSX for a couple of years now but just cant seem to figure out how SID's work.

For example: if flying from Chicago O'Hare to Detroit Metro (KDTW) and departing from runway 27L, FSX generated the following flight plan:

KORD

GIJ (VOR 115.4)

BENJO (INT)

CRL (VOR 115.7)

KDTW

I'm having a difficult time translating the path from the runway to GIJ. The plates on the online sites make no sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi, first you need to know that FSX does not do SIDS'STARS internally. You need to either manually add them or select them from an FMC equipped aircraft. Trying to add them is a real bugger though as the FSX data base is 8 years old now and not updated, whereas Navigraph data for FMC's IS current (if you have the latest), but FSX will not 'read' it. To use it you must use the FMC and LNAV/VNAV or manually follow it using the MCP/AP.

The plan you listed is either a low (below 18K) altitude or high(above 18k) altitude (I didnt check it) route. You would need to plan your own intercept course to pick up the route using that. You dont say what plane you are flying so no way to know if it has an FMC, but if it does you can usually choose a SID that is available but on that short a route, I wouldnt bother.

Personally when I fly jets I just use the FSX VOR/VOR flight plan, that way it doesnt list all the useless waypoints, only the VOR's for the route.

The SID for ORD is pretty basic in that there is only one as compared to other airports that have several.

This is the plan view- http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1505/00166OHARE.PDF

...and here is the text- http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1505/00166OHARE_C.PDF

The gist of it is "Expect RADAR vectors to first enroute navaid/fix".

All the plan view tells you is...

1) if you have DME you should be above 3000' by 5 DME ORD and above 4000' by 8 DME ORD.

2) it also gives you the segment departure frequencies (which may or may not match what FSX ATC uses) and the frequency for the Gipper VOR, wonder where that is?

3) if you are a turbo jet it gives you a speed restriction which FSX never uses.

So basically, if you are flying with default ATC they will give you instructions that will lead you to the Gipper VOR at which point you would "resume your own navigation".

As stated, FSX ATC knows nothing about SIDs and STARs so they will never issue you a clearance to one.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I've been playing FSX for a couple of years now but just cant seem to figure out how SID's work.

For example: if flying from Chicago O'Hare to Detroit Metro (KDTW) and departing from runway 27L, FSX generated the following flight plan:

KORD

GIJ (VOR 115.4)

BENJO (INT)

CRL (VOR 115.7)

KDTW

I'm having a difficult time translating the path from the runway to GIJ. The plates on the online sites make no sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick

I'm not sure if this is the sort of answer that you require or not.

Example :-

You are flying a direct straight flight plan from "Airport 1" to "Airport 2".

At "Airport 1" the runway that you have been allocated for take off is at an angle of 90 degrees to your flight plan line .

After take off you use a "SIDS" that consists of a series of waypoints that will progressively turn you towards your intended flight plan line.

You chose that specific "SID" because it's waypoint series will get you towards where you need to go.

Now each "SID" has a simple unique name to cover a lot of headings and waypoints.

In radio communications and flight plan it is simpler to use that name , it's shorter on the radio , and if you are flying that "SID" everyone knows your flight path.

As you can imagine in congested airspace and radio frequencies that improves both efficiency and safety.

At "Airport 2" , you are flying along the straight flight plan line towards your arrival at the destination .

Once again your current heading does not match the heading of the runway that you intend to land on .

A "STARS" with a unique name is chosen that will progressively steer you through a series of waypoints that will finally get you aligned with your runway.

In simple terms that's it.

Your charts will show a series of both "SIDS" and "STARS" .

SIDS = departure

Stars = arrival at destination.

If you are about to depart it's SIDS,

For the runway that you will use look at the map presentation of the various SIDS,

Choose one that leads you around to your initial flight plan leg.

It will be labelled with a unique name , fly that SID to hook up with you initial flight plan leg.

In principle that's it.

In the real world ATC might direct you to a different SIDS than the one that you chose ,

they (ATC) have a bigger picture of possible traffic conflicts with other aircraft .

In those cases you have to adapt to the situation and suffer silently as they re route you about the skies.

Cheers

Karol

Archived