How does Prepar3d performance compare to FSX on higher-end machines?

noahweber

At the risk of setting off some kind of firestorm about Prepar3d vs. FSX, I'm curious about the performance difference between the two programs on a higher-end machine. Please see my sig for the specs of my system. I can't help but feel that I should be getting more out of FSX on this rig than I am. I am about to do complete wipe of the hard drive and start completely over so I figure if there is a time to switch it is now.

Please let me know if you think Prepar3d might run well on my system or if you'd recommend I stick with FSX:Steam for now.

Thanks!

-Noah

http://s6.postimg.org/a9i0d43tt/Capture.jpg

At the risk of setting off some kind of firestorm about Prepar3d vs. FSX, I'm curious about the performance difference between the two programs on a higher-end machine. Please see my sig for the specs of my system. I can't help but feel that I should be getting more out of FSX on this rig than I am. I am about to do complete wipe of the hard drive and start completely over so I figure if there is a time to switch it is now.

Please let me know if you think Prepar3d might run well on my system or if you'd recommend I stick with FSX:Steam for now.

Thanks!

-Noah

Noah:

Don't wipe anything out yet! FSX is been a kinda' learn as you go program. But it still holds merit.

P3Dv1 and 2 although more advanced than FSX still has draw backs, Speaking as a retired LM engineer I hold FSX at a equal to or still surpassing P3D. Due to the facts that there are still 1000X more freeware fixes and adjustments for FSX than for P3D. You can also find many more freeware aircraft and scenery items than P3D. Let P3D grow more and see what becomes available as freeware before jumping into that pond.

Now as to performance issues of FSX, check what is running in the background, shut off all unnecessary programs that are not relevant to your system and to FSX, check for conflicts on FSX such as double Afcads on airports, program compliance, Ask yourself is this running smoothly.

Can I get though the scenery in a realistic controllable way?

Frames rates are deceptive, You would expect a loss of rates as you fly into a heavy scenery area such as New York or other large city but that is to be expected.

The questions to ask:

Can I still control my aircraft?

Will it feel normal in its performance? Is my system freezing?

If you find that your aircraft and scenery still flow well then keep what you have, or adjust you settings levels to match a rate of performance that you want.

As far as you system It should be able to carry all the load that FSX or P3D has if your check my signature it is at a much lower level than yours in specs, but it is all I need for FSX and I run at maximum settings while running FSRecorder, Fraps, and video log editor. But the trick is to turn off anything you don't need in the background.

Now for Steam, I do not know too much about this version of FSX, from what I hear it is set up more for On-line play that the standard FSX. If you must change programs buy FSX with Acceleration it would only cost about $30.00 US dollars. But I really don't see a need for you to do that.

Remember FSX and P3D are give and take programs adjustments will be required on both platforms.

See video below

Respectfully:

David :pilot: ...

Sample Video:

"Remember, All you have to do is ask."

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/10/25/windows10signaturecopy.jpghttp://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/helicoptero_animado_2.gif

Unlike David, I'd suggest that P3D v2 (I'm on 2.4) might be good for you. It does have a minor problem or two but, for me, the vastly improved performance (including with ORBX and UTX v2), especially in busy areas is worth it -- your listed system is loads better than my 5-year old I-7 with a GTX 570, so should give you very smooth running almost everywhere.

However I'd agree with David that you should be able to get decent performance from FSX with that system -- I did fine in all but higher density areas, albeit with a few sliders not quite at max -- though I've never seen the Steam Edition.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks so much for the thoughtful responses, guys. I will keep tinkering with FSX and see if I can't squeeze a little more juice out of it. Knowing me, P3D is probably going to keep beckoning until I finally give in, but I'll be patient and see what the next few months bring as far as development for that platform.

Thanks again.

-Noah

http://s6.postimg.org/a9i0d43tt/Capture.jpg

Just got back into Flight simming after some years away. I had all the MSFS sims since the late 80's and finally decided to move on about 5 years ago. Yesterday I bought P3D, and I got the $10 version since I didn't know how well it would run on my middle of the road desktop with an i5 3.4 G, 6 Gbs ram and a GTX 750 Ti, which runs my TS2015 train sim very well. Well I was blown away when I fired up P3D, and the default FPS was set at 30. This is the smoothest, stutter free sim I have ever seen on a PC. I am going to get the Academic License right away, I am sold on this simulator. I can't get over the fact that it doesn't stammer or stutter, and runs smooth as silk.

• 2 weeks later...
I am just new to these forums but have to say that P3D definatley runs better than FSX at least on long hauls with lots of scenery loading and using lots of memory and not getting the OOM errors like FSX. But i have found one bug that still persits or maybe its just my setup and/or settings. Whenever i do a Replay of my approach and landing i get the jitters of my aircraft and scenery like you wouldnt believe, and this is from just about every camera angle. Also i cannot see the spoilers go up and the reversers activate either....i dont know. Anyone care to comment?
FSX GOLD EDition w/Acceleration, Pack, P3D 2.5,Intel I-5 4670K OC'ed to 4.0, 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 DDR3, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 MOBO,Nvidia GTX 960 Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, Microsoft Thrustmaster Joystick.

Thanks!

-Noah

FSX SE is like a new sim compared to the "old" FSX .

I have been with P3d from the start but have been slightly falling out with it of late, niggles here, niggles there, stutters at odd times, and on my system, rather drab looking graphics.

I loaded FSX SE last week and it looks brighter and crisper, is much smoother and everything works in it add-on wise straight away.

As I said I have been a P3d user from the start, and an MSFS user since FS1 so I know my way around these things, and this is just MY finding and I expect I will be in the minority, but at the moment I prefer FSX SE to P3d.

FSX MS (or CD version) is still toast.

And therein lies the reason we have several different sims to choose from. I totally disagree with you John - and we BOTH are correct! :) Other than getting a feel from the number of people that like it, not only the differences in systems but the differences in our personal preferences will determine which sim is "better".

Either way, it's a good time for simmers.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

and therein lies the reason we have several different sims to choose from. I totally disagree with you john - and we both are correct! :) other than getting a feel from the number of people that like it, not only the differences in systems but the differences in our personal preferences will determine which sim is "better".

Either way, it's a good time for simmers.

Vic

well said vic!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Noah,

I agree with much that has been said here. I went from FSX to P3D then back to FSX. While P3D worked fine on my system I did find it quite buggy and lacked the add-ons. In the end I went back to FSX as I could setup my sim the way I wanted the environment to be with the level of aircraft detail I wanted.

In the end each of us have our own preferences in what we look for in a sim and what we can or cant live with in regards to the fallibility's of both systems. While by no means perfect I found that FSX was more malleable to what I wanted.

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer your specific question about performance of P3D over FSX.

I see about a 300% FPS improvement in P3D using semi-equal graphics settings ... 400% improvement if you go the nVidia SLI route.

Where FSX falls short on the performance front is:

1. Lack of SLI support from nVidia

2. Older graphics API

3. Doesn't scale with more modern GPUs

4. No possibility of future updates with DX12 and beyond

If you want to compare ALL aspects of P3D vs. FSX that's probably a different topic, but for performance alone the above are my findings.

Cheers, Rob.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

FPS, Default Scenery Textures, Modern GPU Support - Hands Down P3D is better.

Functionality Wise - SAME

So for overall usability, bang for the buck and "fun factor", just stick to FSX..

I know cuz I have both. I have FSX Steam and P3D V3. I was somewhat disappointed when I purchased P3DV3. I setup a whole new PC with "it" being the only application running. Granted it ran much faster and the scenery (water, fog and cloud textures) being better, but once you fly that Carenado Bonanza A36 and try to make it stall and you see the airplane still flying without altitude loss at 40 knots, that's where the disappointment starts... It's simply just not convincing.. then you ask yourself why a US$200 software and endorsed by an aerospace defense contractor does this? It has no additional functionality over the 9-dollar FSX-Steam.

That flight planner which is practically useless when you try flying customized routes, not because it's different but because it is just TOO SLOW. I'm very surprised that LM did not spot this problem.

So save your US$200. Nothing really "revolutionary" in P3D, it's just the same old FSX engine with a few more bells and whistles.. nothing more.

When FSX or FSX:SE can offer real time environment mapping, cloud shadows, and dynamic HDR I might consider it something worth comparing with Prepar3D...

Oh wait, that'll never happen. :rolleyes:

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

I have a very decent machine built by a professional who has her own business here in Tucson...it is not the best but very good and what I could afford......and I must say that both FSX and P3D are great for me on this machine....the FPS are similar...and what I like in P3D is at times I think the word "Clarity" in the colors and scenery is significant in P3d but then in other situations...I must give the nod to FSX... I love them both and glad that I have both....I do not like having to have problems loading and etc when everytime P3D changes something I have to get help "tweaking" as I HATE that! Over and Out..al v If I could only have one Sim....and one only....My choice is FSX!

• 8 months later...

Archived