Any advice before I do a total reformat and start from scratch?

Hey, everyone.

After only a few months back in the FS game I appear to have played it too fast and loose and am now running into problems with FSX (Steam Edition) from what I assume was reckless add-on installation and uninstallation. I am prepared to do a complete wipe of the hard drive and reinstall of everything including Windows but I figured I'd ask here if anybody has suggestions on things to consider before I do. In particular...

• What, exactly, is the procedure for starting from scratch? Sorry I'm not up on my Windows skills yet. Even a link would be really helpful here.

• Are there any programs you recommend for helping to manage the reformatting process, either specific to FSX or otherwise (general backup programs?)?.

• Are there any considerations I should take into account as I install FSX and all my favorite add-ons a second time? Perhaps do anything differently the second time around (install locations, for example)?

• Are there any good ways to manage the large number of USB devices and drivers I have attached to my computer? I think some of my problems might be related to all of the Saitek equipment, printer, etc., I have attached. I use a powered hub, but still...

• Are security programs (I have BitDefender) worth the trouble they can cause with permissions for certain programs and files?

That's all I can think of for now.

Thank's a lot for any help you can provide on my very scary first "do-over."

Best,

-Noah

http://s6.postimg.org/a9i0d43tt/Capture.jpg

There should be absolutely no reason to reformat the drive and re-install windows. If you don't know exactly what you are doing - don't do that. Start by uninstalling the add-ons you've put in and make sure to remove all traces of them. Then uninstall FSX:SE and remove all traces. When that's all done, turn off your AV software and re-install FSX:SE directly under the root drive letter. When it runs satisfactorily you can re-install your add-ons one at a time, making sure things are all right each time. USB devices are a non-issue. BitDefender has a tendency to remove useful items so make sure you have excluded your entire FSX directory and subdirectories before you do the re-install thing.

DJ

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the advice to pump the breaks on the total reformat. I was getting hasty in my frustration.

When you say "remove all traces" of the add-ons and FSX, what exactly does that mean beyond running the uninstallers? Is there an easy way to know where/which files are hiding behind after the official uninstall?

Also, when you say to install FSX:SE "directly under the root dive letter," does that mean to install it to C:/FSX? Will it cause problems if it is not under the default: "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX"? Come to think of it, I don't remember Steam ever giving me a choice as to where to install the program. Is there a way to specify an install path within Steam?

Sorry for all these rookie questions but I want to make sure I do everything optimally.

Thanks again!

-Noah

hey, everyone.

After only a few months back in the fs game i appear to have played it too fast and loose and am now running into problems with fsx (steam edition) from what i assume was reckless add-on installation and uninstallation. I am prepared to do a complete wipe of the hard drive and reinstall of everything including windows but i figured i'd ask here if anybody has suggestions on things to consider before i do. In particular...

• what, exactly, is the procedure for starting from scratch? Sorry i'm not up on my windows skills yet. Even a link would be really helpful here.

• are there any programs you recommend for helping to manage the reformatting process, either specific to fsx or otherwise (general backup programs?)?.

• are there any considerations i should take into account as i install fsx and all my favorite add-ons a second time? Perhaps do anything differently the second time around (install locations, for example)?

• are there any good ways to manage the large number of usb devices and drivers i have attached to my computer? I think some of my problems might be related to all of the saitek equipment, printer, etc., i have attached. I use a powered hub, but still...

• are security programs (i have bitdefender) worth the trouble they can cause with permissions for certain programs and files?

that's all i can think of for now.

Thank's a lot for any help you can provide on my very scary first "do-over."

best,

-noah

don't!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

One of the cool things about any Steam "game" including FSX:SE is the ability to "verify game files" without wiping+reinstalling anything.

First, make a backup copy of your Airplanes, Effects and Gauges folders; save them somewhere completely outside of the Steam\Steamapps folder trees. This way you will still have a way to recover addon airplanes without completely reinstalling them. If you have other addons such as scenery and do not have the installation media for them, back up those folders as well.

Second, make a backup copy of C:\Users\[YourUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG and GrantedRewards.BIN. You can save them in the same folder under a different name, such as fsx.cfg.backup and GrantedRewards.BIN.backup or whatever names you like as long as they are different from the originals.

Now, tell Steam to restore your FSX files to their default state:

• Right-click the FSX icon in your Steam Library
  • Click Properties at the bottom of the popup window
  • Click the Local Files tab near the top of the Properties window
  • Click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE, the 4th button

Steam will check your files and download only those required to restore all of your critical FSX files back to their original (default) states. The two times I have done it (not on FSX but on other Steam games) it has taken from 10 minutes to an hour to complete. This process shouldn't mess with your Airplanes folder at all, but having a backup of it "just in case" is always a good idea, especially if you have many addon airplanes as most of us do.

This ability to "repair" a game without completely reinstalling is one of the most compelling reasons to use Steam in my opinion. I have only used it twice, but both times it has saved me endless hours of wiping and reinstalling.

Once you verify that FSX is now working, you can CAREFULLY start adding back any addons you can't live without, ONE AT A TIME and testing that FSX still works after each and every addon.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Steam won't let you choose a location.

You can easily move an existing Steam installation and its games, and/or change Steam's default installation path, to any location you like. Mine, for example, is on G:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\Common\[game folders].

There are instructions on moving Steam or changing its installation path on this page.

Thanks Hoggy!

That's good to know! I've been trying to decide whether to stick my toe into the steam waters. Sounds like a good reason to try it right there.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks Hoggy!

That's good to know! I've been trying to decide whether to stick my toe into the steam waters. Sounds like a good reason to try it right there.

Especially if you can catch it on sale for $5.00 U.S. like it was at launch (I think it was about €2.99) and again once since then! At that price, it's less than a cuppa at Starbucks :D

don't!!

Don't worry. I've decided not to. Thanks.

I will try uninstalling my add-ons, deleting any leftover files, restoring my FSX installation, and then adding the add-ons back one-by-one.

Thanks, everyone.

-Noah

Yes if you want to learn the best way to setup up fsx on your computer go buy the ultimate guide to flight simulator from sim samari. It's an eye opener. I got it because I'm building a semi cockpit but the first part of the guide is how to setup you computer then how to install fsx on that computer to have a fast stable system then it gets deeper and deeper into in each chapter. I thought it would show you how to set it up tweek it then fly it but so far it's been what you need in you pc, a common theory is two middle line systems is better than one super computer. By middle of the line I mean one built to the max that fs will use. I7 quad core, 16gb system and not a top of the line i7 chip either maybe a 3.? Gig chip then get a step up in the speed for the ddr3ram. SSD drives or two 500 bg 7200 rpm in raid 0. Instal the OS on one drive , fs on a raid 0 or SSD plus have a reg old HDD for saving the install files to and other non important data to fs.

Install fs on a fresh drive the install your scenery, lastly install your aircraft and utilities. Because the HDD reads from the outside of the platter in using the raid0 allows two drives to work as one. But never fill the drive over 60% iirc it slows things down.

If you want the whys and how's get the guide. I'm aware of another fs setup guide that a ex modulator from av sim I beleive it was wrote it can be found with a little luck and searching.

But if you got to redo it you might as well learn how to do it right whereas the install info from ms is enough to get it on the hard drive not to run the best it can plus it doesn't care about aftermarket software just the program and OS.

Archived